Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
LarryRickenbacker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Silverwing max rider weight load?

Howdy,

I may be in the market for a larger scooter later this year. My bullet-proof Honda Sh150i is great, but the wife wants to come along..and I tip the scales at 275 lbs! My lovely wife weighs only 115 lbs, though.
Assuming I find a used Silverwing in good shape, can they accomodate at least 400 lbs of rider(s)? For that matter, I can apply the same question about the TMAX, Majesty (which i believe has a 400 lb+ capacity) and Burgman 400.
FWIW, the wife only wants to go 2-up for short, urban jaunts to the mall, friend's house, etc.

Thanks,
Larry
PS: I also wonder if the new Forza 300 can accomodate 400+ lbs of riders/passengers?
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
Howdy,

I may be in the market for a larger scooter later this year. My bullet-proof Honda Sh150i is great, but the wife wants to come along..and I tip the scales at 275 lbs! My lovely wife weighs only 115 lbs, though.
Assuming I find a used Silverwing in good shape, can they accomodate at least 400 lbs of rider(s)? For that matter, I can apply the same question about the TMAX, Majesty (which i believe has a 400 lb+ capacity) and Burgman 400.
FWIW, the wife only wants to go 2-up for short, urban jaunts to the mall, friend's house, etc.

Thanks,
Larry
PS: I also wonder if the new Forza 300 can accomodate 400+ lbs of riders/passengers?
According to the Honda website the maximum capacity is 169kg/372 lbs. So you would be OK if you kept the petrol tank empty and never rode anywhere.
I can't find out anything about the Forza from a quick search.
The max capacity of the BMW 650GT is 184kg/405lbs.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 150
I agree, the weight limit is around 385 lbs. but for short jaunts it would probably be OK. Now for cross-country two-up riding you better look to big brother. The Gold Wing!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I can speak from first hand experience. It will work but it will be a jarring ride and bottom out a lot. I weigh 275 and my wife is 125 and all that rough ride is transmitted right to the passenger. Which sucks because my wife found the seating position and seat very comfortable. I did the pvc spacer shock mod to increase preload. That helped a bit, but in the end we sold the silver wing because we were just too much weight for it and constantly bottom out and pogoing down the street was not fun.

The burgman 400 has around 100lbs more weight capacity and more legroom than the silver wing. If you aren't doing a lot of highway riding the 400 should get the two of you around town fine. Oh and the burg has a more modern single rear shock so finding a heavy duty replacement shouldn't bee too much of a problem. PM me if you have any other questions about the wing. I really really enjoyed mine.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Pr...ar+_SC149YVB02
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Pr...for_r204550312
There well may be Ohlins and YSS applications that will fit the SH150.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
LarryRickenbacker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Pissed Maybe a Majesty or Burgy, then.

Howdy,

Given all the helpful responses, I may be shopping for a lightly used Burgman 400 or Majesty later this year. In a way, it's a pity that a s'wing wouldn't be a good "fit" for us, and our desire for around town 2-up riding. I'm really impressed with my local Honda dealer and am reluctant to own anything else.
You see, here in Shreveport, the S'wing comes up on the used market much more frequently than a Burgy or Majesty and I'll be darned If I'm paying "new" prices!

PS: If I could simply lose 25+ lbs, I wouldn't have this concern.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 5,011
I have always found weight capacity of bikes to be an issue from 2 different perspectives. One is that no manufacturer lists in in their specs (I wojnder why?) You have to have the owners manual to get it. Back in '07 I bought a new Honda Met. I got lucky, as I was also considering the Yamaha Vino 50. It turned out the Met had a weight capacity of 270 pounds, but the Vino, same size scooter, had a weight capacity of nearly 100 pounds less. It was well under my weight.

Don't let the size of a bike fool you. My Yamaha XT225 has a weight limit of 400 pounds (though I had to replace the rear shock to prevent the fender from dragging on the tire with 300 pounds on it, the book says 400 pounds) My 1200 Goldwing also had a weight capacity of 400 pounds. My Zuma 125 actually has the same load capacity as my Kawasaki Vulcan 750. You would think the Goldwing would have a much greater load capacity than what it does, considering what it was designed for, I suspect that all the stock accessories (fairing, bags, trunk, all the brackets and gadgets) take up a significant amount of it's rated load carrying capacity.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
According to the Honda website the maximum capacity is 169kg/372 lbs. So you would be OK if you kept the petrol tank empty and never rode anywhere.
I can't find out anything about the Forza from a quick search.
The max capacity of the BMW 650GT is 184kg/405lbs.
The old scooters carried much heavier loads. I don't know if the low ratings of modern scooters and motorcycles are from lightweight construction or more stringent standards for braking. My scooter is rated for a load of 460 lb., not counting the vehicle weight. Old Vespas can carry a lot too. Of course you have to have tires that can handle it. I never carry anywhere near that much, so I use 120/90-10" Michelins that fit the Zuma.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Pilgrim21784
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck21 View Post
I agree, the weight limit is around 385 lbs. but for short jaunts it would probably be OK. Now for cross-country two-up riding you better look to big brother. The Gold Wing!

My '12 SW owner's manual (page 116) shows 366lbs.
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
adoptamutt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
The owner's manual for my 2009 Yamaha TMax says the maximum weight capacity for passengers, gear, and luggage is 425 lbs (page 9-1).
adoptamutt is offline   Reply With Quote