User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
dbOnIce OP
Under Scooter

Oddometer: 21
Bluhduh Lowering the F800GS 1 "

Seriously now, why is this becoming a herculean task?

Parts I have persued have been ; not delivered, pulled from production, or simply not available among the options a given company offers.

I,m about to take the route of an earlier contributor ... cut a half an inch off the factory spring.

Is a one inch lowering such a wierd thing to want to do?

$1000.00 to $1500.00 for a single spring loaded shock? P.T. Barnum was right!

Can any one help me with info on where to get a Quality replacement spring that will give me about a 1" rear suspension drop.
Hopefully at somewhere less than 4 times what it should actually cost.

Sardonic? It's the election year that makes me this way.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Calikatoom
Norcal Moto Nut

Oddometer: 291
DB - It sounds like you have already been through the ringer.

Works Performance will build you a shock for MUCH LESS than Ohlins or Wilburs and it is a quality piece. It will be spring and valved to your tastes.

Progressive Suspension might have options now too.

Google them.

Then call them. This last step is important. This is not something you just want to order off the internet. Talk to their technicians!

Good luck!
Gail
Calikatoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
richard weed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Lowering kit

Hyperpro makes a lowering kit. I have it on my 800gs. Makes commuting and 2 up much more comfortable. I've bottomed out in jumps off road. Didn't notice much performance change on road. Hope this helps.
DW
richard weed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,163
I wouldn't go cutting the stock spring, but that's just me.
Hyperpro rear spring seems like the cheapest solution, you can just drop the forks in the clamp for the front or get the springs.

I had them on my bike for a moment when I lost my mind and wanted a chick to be able to ride my bike.

Lot's of info around here in installing hyper pro, if you don't want to pay for someone to do it.

BTW, not sure where you got $1000 - 1500 for a shock, I paid about $700 for my awesome Ohlins shock from Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing.

Good luck!

-Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I wouldn't go cutting the stock spring, but that's just me.
Hyperpro rear spring seems like the cheapest solution, you can just drop the forks in the clamp for the front or get the springs.

I had them on my bike for a moment when I lost my mind and wanted a chick to be able to ride my bike.

Lot's of info around here in installing hyper pro, if you don't want to pay for someone to do it.

BTW, not sure where you got $1000 - 1500 for a shock, I paid about $700 for my awesome Ohlins shock from Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing.
Good luck!

-Finn
Similar experience: I'm getting a Ohlins for my SMR and it's a MX model that is being cut down, resprung, revalved and it's only costing $200 labor and the shock (used one season) for $200.

Maybe if someone doesn't know anyone in the moto industry and just does cold calls to retailers then yeah, shocks are expensive but I don't know anyone that buys them for full retail price even when new.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
I'm one of the guys who cut the rear spring. It's easy, you get more than 1" lowering, it's not in any way detrimental and it saves you a shitload of cash. I think the guy who illustrated it was Riverguy9. If you search him out, you'll find his thread.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
FNMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I also cut the rear spring. Worked for me. I would like to get better srpings/cartridges for the front next.

2008 YAM WR250R-SOLD
2010 BMW F800GS Lava Orange
FNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
liquid_ice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I want to go for the Hyperpro springs that will lower the bike about 2,5cm (1")

a heared it was about 300 euro, would be 400$ I guess
1000 or 1500$ sounds like an awfull lot.
liquid_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_ice View Post
I want to go for the Hyperpro springs that will lower the bike about 2,5cm (1")
I have ordered at local shop that Hyperpro kit (-2,5cm) for both fork springs and rear shock, this will cost me 273€ (it was 269€ + shipping for the -5CM kit at Touratech).

I should have that next week and will instal it next week end.

I'll tell you then what the result looks like!

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 280
hi guys!

I've been considering this mod also, for those that did it, did you have issues with the center stand and/or kickstand? seems that such a minimal drop should be OK and this is the only thing holding me back
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 201
I got the Hyperpro kit from Touratech

I have been very happy since I got it about 2 years or so ago. I have been too lazy to cut the inch or so off the side stand.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
I have been very happy since I got it about 2 years or so ago. I have been too lazy to cut the inch or so off the side stand.
did you get their 2 inch kit? can you use the kickstand?
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
dbOnIce OP
Under Scooter

Oddometer: 21
Cool2 Thanks for the good feedback

I heard some funky things about the Hyperpro spring like, extra sagy in early compression stages and Smaller gauge than factory spring.

But cheap and easy enough mod .
I guess I will try it out.

Now on to tires, sigh.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,792
Are you starting with a low seat bike already?
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #15
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,735
I went through the Hyper pro stage and convinced a lot of people here to use them. I still have one on the rear shock.

But that is the normal version. An acquaintance of mine, a member here, bought the low version and did not like them. A good rider, in the 200+ range who used and later removed them. He was bottoming out all the time.

Based on my conversation with him, I believe that they are not just shorter versions of the originals, but softer also. Too soft for him.

These bikes have 9" of travel, lower them an inch or two, adjust for sag and there is not much travel left for much more than a dirt road.

The stock springs are pretty soft to begin with, but if you plan on doing the spring switch yourself, you are going through almost all the steps required as if you cut the rear spring yourself. It takes a spring compressor to remove or replace the rear spring.

You can lower the front 1", by just taking the spacer out from under the spring in the forks. There is a pictorial of a member cutting the rear spring. To get 1", you remove a small portion of the top coil. But it is permanent, but certainly as easily done as replacing the spring.

1'' probably will not require cutting the side stand, but the bike will set up straighter. I added an inch to my resprung bike and can make it difficult to get down on uneven ground. The center stand will be harder to get the bike up, unless it is shortened.

If you haven't done so, get a lower seat. I shaved some material out of the stock one.

When in doubt, go to stickies http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=F800GS post 15

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 12:09 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote