Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #16
jmrobyou OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke Markham View Post
I'm not sure how much it would be in Vegas, but they are pretty fair. After what Long Beach quoted me for a clutch replacement, I won't go there.
What is the 6K other than an oil change?
I think 6k they will change the brake fluid as well. I might actually need to have the service in Vegas based on my planning work today. So you recommend BMW motorcycle Las Vegas?
jmrobyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #17
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrobyou View Post
I think 6k they will change the brake fluid as well. I might actually need to have the service in Vegas based on my planning work today. So you recommend BMW motorcycle Las Vegas?
BMW brake flush is 2 year intervals.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
moe.ron
What a friggin' putz

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke Markham View Post
I'm not sure how much it would be in Vegas, but they are pretty fair. After what Long Beach quoted me for a clutch replacement, I won't go there.
What is the 6K other than an oil change?
Check a bunch of stuff, tighten, and adjust what needs to be adjusted. Being out on the open road it would be worth it to me. To each his own though, some guys will do a tire change on the side of the road. Thats not me!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #19
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
Here's the official maint. schedules:

http://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcyc...schedules.aspx

Originally the brake fluid was every 2-years, at some point they changed it to after one year, and then every two years.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
Zeke Markham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I would recommend BMW of Las Vegas. When your there tell Kurt in sales I said hi if he's there. Looking at the checklist, that's all stuff you should be doing on a regular basis anyhow, except for the check fault codes and change oil. Maybe you could just have them do the oil and codes, save some money that way if you can't do it yourself. I mean really, check brake fluid?
Zeke Markham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #21
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Geoffster - Sorry to hear about your experience with the ZTechnik light guard! I ran an acrylic light guard on a KLR for a while and kept popping the bulb - air couldn't circulate behind it, too hot. Changed to a screen type and all was well. YMMV. Had a screen type on an R1200GS. No lens breaking but plenty of fine pitting.

I also downsized from an R1200GS to the F650GS twin and couldn't be happier. Lighter, great gas mileage, etc. While loaded for traveling I've ridden a few 500 mile days on fast roads and it was fine for me. Didn't seem that much different than same on the R1200GS. Being able to fuel on the side stand is a real plus on high mileage days with the bike fully loaded.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrobyou View Post
Nice. how do you like the skyline and BRP? I went there last fall and just couldn't finish all BRP. After 120 miles on skyline in the morning, BPR was just too crowd. Had a bunch of RV ahead of me slow down the traffic a lot. So, I headed back to NJ after 300 miles on BRP. But the view in fall was totally worth it.
I like the ride on Skyline and BRP, the speed limit was only 40 mph, but the views were beautiful and I wasn't in hurry getting back home :). Every time I got stuck behind a slow vehicle, I simply pullover to one of vista points taking a small break and enjoyed surrounding and chit chat with fellow bikers who love to share their riding stories and wondered how I rode all the way California to BRP.

The only thing I missed were riding the Tail of the Dragon because of big storm.
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
I don't know about adjusting the chain daily. Check it, yes but probably won't need to adjust it that often. In 15,000 miles I've only adjusted mine 3 times - OEM Regina chain. A plentiful lube daily helps to keep it clean but real cleaning (cleaner & grunge brush) can be a little tedious on the road not to mention messy for the environment.

I usually ride for an hour or so in the morning to warm up the machine then stop in some inconspicuous, shaded dirt side road for a while - lube the chain and let the oil settle before checking it as well. Didn't burn a drop in 5700 miles on my last trip.

Great bike!