Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
LTP OP
LostThePlot

Oddometer: 34
Using a Non-standard exhaust in the US?

Hi Guys,

In 4 weeks time i ship my XChallenge to the US to ride the TAT, however i'm running a remus free ride exhaust system at present, and wondered if i was likely to get any problems from the authorities regards this?

Is there any legal requirements that an exhaust must meet? or will my bike be exempt under the EPA exemption letter?

If it's likely to cause a load of hassle then remus can stay home and put the original back on....

Nathan
LTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP View Post
Hi Guys,

In 4 weeks time i ship my XChallenge to the US to ride the TAT, however i'm running a remus free ride exhaust system at present, and wondered if i was likely to get any problems from the authorities regards this?

Is there any legal requirements that an exhaust must meet? or will my bike be exempt under the EPA exemption letter?

If it's likely to cause a load of hassle then remus can stay home and put the original back on....

Nathan
One consideration would be a USFS , United States Forest Service , approved
spark arrestor stamp on muffler .
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Put the stock one back on.

The USFS as previously posted requires all exhaust systems to have a USFS approved spark arrestor. Depending on the ranger doing the inspection (if inspected) the USFS approved spark arrestor must be manufactured and approved for that individual exhaust system, and so stamped. In other words, no home brewed spark arrestors.

Also depending on the jurisdiction rangers are carrying decibel meters and checking the sound output. Here in Commiefornia it is becoming standard issue for all state rangers and most federal rangers. If it sounds too loud, then out comes the decibel meter and the ticket book.

Since I am assuming you are coming from Britain, there are a multitude of different jurisdictions involved depending on your location in the US. Rangers (or law enforcement types) can be federal, state, county, or local; and each can have different rules, levels of enforcement, or over lapping jurisdiction. It can be daunting.

However, having written that; if a bike is stock or appears to be that way, you won't get a second look unless your behaviour calls attention.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
I would think it unlikely that a non U.S. market BMW would have a U.S. approved spark arrestor, so the stock exhaust may not help.
Nobody cares if the exhaust is stock or not but a marked spark arrestor is definitely required. There are also sound limit requirements, but I've never seen them enforced.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I can't speak for the rest of the country, and this doesn't apply to the TAT but it does bring an interesting point to look further into.

I ride at a national forest in Texas. I too was concerned about the spark arrestor usfs stamp. After much searching, another rider found it on the legal books, that there is no requirement of stamping, but rather that a wire of X diameter may not pass through the muffler. I forget the size now, but at least in Texas, a store-bought spark arrestor is not the only option. I'm sure other states are the same.

For what its worth, I built one for my kx450f out of a stainless mesh drain screen and it was small enough mesh to pass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 203
Here in North Carolina a USFS approved spark arrester of any kind would be all you need. I have never seen it enforced though. In run a super trap and it is considered legal in stock form. On my other bike I run A DG pipe and carry but have not installed a screen incert that came with it. thumpthump.
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Below is a link to the straight story from the U.S Federal government. BUT you will be traveling through several states that can and do have their own laws which are not necessarily the same as the federal laws or the next state's laws.
You may encounter enforcement personnel from the state you are in or the federal government, who may enforce either law, or sometimes their own interpretation of both.
In the western U.S. especially, spark arrestors are a big deal and taken quite seriously. Law enforcement can force you to park the bike and have it hauled away if you don't have one.
I think the safest way to ensure you don't have problems is to make sure your exhaust is marked as a spark arrestor.
The louder your bike is, the more likely you are to be inspected for a spark arrestor

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/0...04.htm#Muffler

lamotovita screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 10:49 AM
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 203
Yep, the closer you get to Mecca [ west coast] the more enforcement is likely. thumpthump
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpthumpthump View Post
Yep, the closer you get to Mecca [ west coast] the more enforcement is likely. thumpthump

Yup and some states like Oregon will have full forest closures during very bad fire seasons like this one is shaping up to be...that means no vehicles allowed, know the local laws before entering.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
in the US plenty of Harley riders don't even us an exhaust
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
French Man

I knew a frenchman who got tickets thru rocks at passing cops, went to jail for the night, threw the tickets away, then pressed on to Mexico. Pay the ticket for a loud pipe and keep going. Most likely with out of state plates, you probably won't get a ticket, but if you do. Pay it move on to another state. Your going back home, and they will probably never hear about it.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
LTP OP
LostThePlot

Oddometer: 34
thank you all for the feedback- it has been very useful!

Standard can is now back on the bike, but i've still kept the header, so the only thing i've lost is the noise .

regards local laws, and forest closures etc, i presume i just find the nearest ranger station to get up to date information on access?
LTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Glad you changed the muffler. Quiet is better. Noisy bikes close trails and piss off neighbors.

Speaking with rangers would work, though the info may not be enough in advance to save you rerouting headaches. The easier way is to post up in the proper regional forum:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Locals will know, and your information supply chain will be simple. Also will find you help, tools, a shower, etc. if / when you need it.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP View Post
thank you all for the feedback- it has been very useful!

Standard can is now back on the bike, but i've still kept the header, so the only thing i've lost is the noise .

regards local laws, and forest closures etc, i presume i just find the nearest ranger station to get up to date information on access?
Yes. In a word. They are the best source of local information regarding all travel issues.