Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
DavidInPalmetto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldswimr View Post
Posted that last one before I finished. Can you tell me the name of the cabin or campground you stayed at, with that cabin in High Country?
Thanks again.
Sorry about the poor response to your question. I was on an IPhone and was in the middle of work.

Here is the link to the website:

High Country Motorcycle Camp

The website is old and Brent is looking to update.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." Rush from "Freewill"
DavidInPalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #32
DavidInPalmetto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Toreador View Post
Did you guys get a chance to go up Mt Mitchell. Very nice up there. Highest spot east of the Mississippi.
We didn't go up this year. We did last year. It was wonderful but the clouds rolled in as soon as we reached the top.
If it would have been clear when we went by I would have taken the time to up there again. Just for the sake of good pictures.

Here is the picture from last year. The short ride from Ashville that inspired us to take the whole Parkway.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." Rush from "Freewill"
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #33
Toiretto
Getting into it!

Oddometer: 50
Nice RR and images! Very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
Toiretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #34
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
just saw your rr as I was on a ride last week too. I've ridden those roads and stayed at the bike camps too and you really tell it like it is. good report for sure! as for the Goldwing...proceed with caution! I owned the 2012 for a year and the wife and i put 6k miles on it last july to, in, and from new england. it was comfortable for her . but...the goldwing has no airflow which makeS it very hot! the suspension is the worst i've ever had and is a $4K fix by traxion. but the real reason i got rid of mine was the notorious GHOST SHIFTING. mine only did it in the twisites, making the most fun part of riding extremely dangerous. before buying, ride one for a weekend trip. $25k is a lot of money for very old and sub standard technoligy. (END RANT) My wife says that my new 650 vstrom is just as comfortable for her as the goldwing was.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #35
Warprints
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Great RR and really good photos.

My wife and I rode the entire BRP and Skyline Drive last year - one more thing off my bucket list. Fantastic ride.

We have a similar photo of the "jail - wedding chapel". When we were there, they had no water, so no food could be served Freeborne's. A good reason to have to go back again !!
Warprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #36
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
just saw your rr as I was on a ride last week too. I've ridden those roads and stayed at the bike camps too and you really tell it like it is. good report for sure! as for the Goldwing...proceed with caution! I owned the 2012 for a year and the wife and i put 6k miles on it last july to, in, and from new england. it was comfortable for her . but...the goldwing has no airflow which makeS it very hot! the suspension is the worst i've ever had and is a $4K fix by traxion. but the real reason i got rid of mine was the notorious GHOST SHIFTING. mine only did it in the twisites, making the most fun part of riding extremely dangerous. before buying, ride one for a weekend trip. $25k is a lot of money for very old and sub standard technoligy. (END RANT) My wife says that my new 650 vstrom is just as comfortable for her as the goldwing was.
That's an extreme minority opinion on the GL1800. I'm on my 3rd now, and have never had the issues you describe (except the airflow, which can be helped with air wings). Perhaps the wing didn't work for you, but for many folks touring 2up, it's a fantastic option, and one of the most dependable bikes out there. I'd buy one again (or the F6B when they have ABS available). I had Traxxion do the "light" version on all 3 of mine for about $1,300 each time, and it works very well. The wings easily will romp with many a smaller, lighter bike. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #37
oldswimr
Flatlander

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidInPalmetto View Post
It's the only cabin available at High Country right now. Has shower, bathroom, sofa, fridge and stove with coffee maker. Call Brent, number on the High Country website.
Take food with you. The stores are a good ride away.

Don't follow web site directions. Ask Brent when you call.
Thanks so much. It's on my list now!

rlm
oldswimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #38
DavidInPalmetto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I've heard good things about the VStroms. Will at Willville speaks highly of them as we'll as all the reviews I've read.
I have also heard great things about the Goldwings and the BMW's. it can be tough with so many great choices.

I'm always pleased to hear others opinions and thoughts.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #39
DavidInPalmetto OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANutt View Post
That's an extreme minority opinion on the GL1800. I'm on my 3rd now, and have never had the issues you describe (except the airflow, which can be helped with air wings). Perhaps the wing didn't work for you, but for many folks touring 2up, it's a fantastic option, and one of the most dependable bikes out there. I'd buy one again (or the F6B when they have ABS available). I had Traxxion do the "light" version on all 3 of mine for about $1,300 each time, and it works very well. The wings easily will romp with many a smaller, lighter bike. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
The fine campers I met at Blue Ridge MC raved about their Goldwings. One gentleman said he had 500k on his last one before he got his 2012 model.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #40
Warprints
Adventurer

I've had two goldwings (currently a GL1800) and have a Wee-Strom. I like them both. But prefer my VFR800. I've never had problems with the stock suspension on the wing - even riding Deals Gap. Yeah, it could be better, but so far not worth upgrading. I can rail pretty well on the wing. The Wee-Strom is better for going all over the place, but it's not better, for me, than the wing on long tours, or the VFR on twisties. If I could only have one bike, it would probably be an FJR1300 - good for touring, pretty decent in the twisties, and I'd just have to give up the occasional fire road rides.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #41
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 867
On RR's, bikes' n gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidInPalmetto View Post
I've heard good things about the VStroms. Will at Willville speaks highly of them as we'll as all the reviews I've read.
I have also heard great things about the Goldwings and the BMW's. it can be tough with so many great choices.

I'm always pleased to hear others opinions and thoughts.
Nice RR David, very very nice. Your excellent photgraphy needed little captioning (as you hadn't). I've not tried those m/c only camps and want to. I did do a drive by at Blue Ridge last Jan and was impressed.

Too truly appreciate the Applachains, twistys, curves, counter steering and extreme lean angles, I prefer a Sport Tourer. My notion is if I require something approaching the size and weight of a small sports car (eg Goldwing, Ultra or Trike), I might as well just be driving said small sports car such as a Miata.

ST 1300 is an excellent choice and they often come up in the flea-market. The thing is the GS and the Wee pretty much do it all for me not to mention very easy simple to maintain, so likely what I'll stay w/for foreseeable future.

There's no substitute for good synthetic protective gear, headed jacket lineer (less bulk) and heated grips or gloves for those colder altitudes, mornings and eves.
06' 650 Vstrom

allonsye screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 04:19 PM Reason: content
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #42
Warprints
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
Too truly appreciate the Applachains, twistys, curves, counter steering and extreme lean angles, I prefer a Sport Tourer. My notion is if I require something approaching the size and weight of a small sports car (eg Goldwing, Ultra or Trike), I might as well just be driving said small sports car such as a Miata.
Having owned a Miata (which was loads of fun), I cannot agree that it comes close to being better on the twisties than a GL1800. It is different, but for me, not better.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #43
DavidInPalmetto OP
Adventurer

Oh.... I'm so confused......

Just kidding. I like all the great thoughts being batted around. Don't even worry about it ANutt, any talk about a better touring bike is not hijacking this thread. I made it part of the topic in my story line.

Angie and I had never stayed at a "motorcycle only" campground before. We simply rolled the dice, made our reservations and waited for vacation time. My daughter and I stayed at TWO one night the year before they closed. (About to reopen)
Turns out, they were the best of the places we stayed at on this trip.

Worst, the hotel in Virginia Beach.

The fun was taliking motorcycles and rides while having a cup of coffee in the morning or a cold one while around the community fire. Motorcycle folks are the best. Just ask us.

DavidInPalmetto screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 08:15 PM
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #44
DavidInPalmetto OP
Adventurer

Oh, funny story about the hotel in Virginia Beach.

We checked in and got our keys. I asked Angie to go ahead to the room and I'll ride the bike there. Before I even cranked up she yelled at me. "This room hasn't even been cleaned up yet."

That was my signal to go back to the desk clerk and complain. I went back, and not wanting to get mad and ruin a great day, I just let her know that the room was not cleaned and that we wanted another room.
She obliged and soon had another room's key in our hands saying something about, "Well they said the room was clean."

On the way to our new room we looked a few doors to the right and we saw a family going into that room. Oh my goodness! It was somebody elses room that she had given us the keys to. Imagine if the bed would have been made and Angie and I would have settled in only to have another family come in and see leather clad bikers invading their room.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #45
Warprints
Adventurer

Yeah, the hotel shuffle. Happened to my wife and me a year or so ago. First room was actually someone else's room. Second room wasn't made up. Third room was the charmer.