Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #16
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
When I posted my post I see you mentioned about hot starts, I guess you are talking about the BMW 650, true, if you don't want these problems use the ethanol additives that I talked about, hey this ethanol fuel of today is a problem and the BMW 650 are more sensitive to it. The V-Strom is the most forgiving of the fuel injected bikes that I have ever owned. As far a swingarm and fork failures you need to get past it, reading all these fourm posting on each bike and what some post, you won't ever buy any bike. These fourms are good and bad and go from one extreme to the other on each post, you picked four of the top selling bikes in the world, I'm sure some have had a problem somewhere along the line.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #17
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
My view on the reliability of the bikes on your list.

If buying the BMW buy extended warranty !

If going with the DL ,Dr, or KLR don't worry about buying the extended warranty. IMO

I will second trainmans comment about the ethanol gas. The carbonated bikes will clog up fast with no use. My DR and DRZ seem particularly prone to the carbs clogging.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
bonnyc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
So, any takers on my question as to whether it is easier or harder to lock the front wheel or the rear wheel on a DR650 or a KLR than say on a street bike like a Honda CB500F?

Also - how much time do you think I would end up spending fiddling with the carbs if I go the DR650 or KLR route?
bonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
bonnyc OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
When I posted my post I see you mentioned about hot starts, I guess you are talking about the BMW 650, true, if you don't want these problems use the ethanol additives that I talked about, hey this ethanol fuel of today is a problem and the BMW 650 are more sensitive to it.
John
John/trainman - thank you for your super informative replies. To the extent that I can tell the hot-start issue in the G650GS comes from an engine compression bar, not from FI problems. The sources are, besides the forums, the two BMW dealers I talked to. However, both dealers claimed that the issue affected only Sertao models, which doesn't really make sense to me or agree with forums, so... what do I know..
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
_ransom_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyc View Post
So, any takers on my question as to whether it is easier or harder to lock the front wheel or the rear wheel on a DR650 or a KLR than say on a street bike like a Honda CB500F?
Quote:
Also - how much time do you think I would end up spending fiddling with the carbs if I go the DR650 or KLR route?

I think the wheel locking, wet riding, traction issues, etc that you are asking about depend more on riding ability and environment than the bike.
I had the Honda 599 (CB600F or Hornet) and locked the rear tire more than I have on my KLR. However, that is probably because I drove it differently. My KLR is fun and it is basically a dirt bike on the road so I drive it as such. I don't drive like a grandpa, but I don't race it from traffic light to traffic light like I did the 599. You can and probably will, at least once, lock a tire on almost any bike. If you drive the way you should based on the bike you are on, I don't think you will have a big issue with a non-ABS model.

I agree that the carb issue is important. I haven't spent much time fiddling with carbs in any motorcycles, 4-wheelers, or dirt bikes, but I never let one sit for more than a week or two without riding it for at least a few minutes. Carb bikes sitting for long periods (months), hands down, is not a good thing. The other issue is drivability. Having ridden the BMW 650 (fuel injected) and the KLR 650 (carb'd) back to back, I noticed a big difference in throttle response and low RPM acceleration.

Overall, owning a motorcycle takes mental and time commitment. If you are ready to pull the trigger and you do some homework you can enjoy a variety of bikes. I picked the KLR because it just fit, not size wise, but it just fit me. I kept test driving bikes, when it came to the KLR I drove it a 1/4 mile turned around and signed the papers with a big smile on my face. If you go bike shopping and don't walk out with a smile on your face... keep looking.

True story...I have a buddy that is floating around this forum somewhere named "Goldburg." I don't think I met anyone who love riding more. You know what he started with, a Burgman 650 (scooter). We gave him all kinds of crap about riding a scooter and he would just smile, load it up and head off to the mountains or on some other trip. He now has a BMW1200 which gets a lot less grief. Point being he started on a bike that he was comfortable with and that allowed him to ride with a smile on his face.
_ransom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
forks

BonnyC; the fork failures on the BMW F650s (thumpers) were years ago, and only a few out of the thousands of bikes sold. I believe in 2004-2005 BMW redesigned the front forks and since then, there has only been one report of fork failure (2011 model) which was very suscipious (how the bike was ridden before the failure). People believe jumping motorcycles is by nature a given and dont believe they need to upgrade or replace forks on a bike after they jump the bikes in the air. The hot start issue is with the decompression lever and not gasohol or FI issues.

I have never heard of swing arm issues on these bikes (since they dont have a single swing arm-the wheel shaft connects to both sides of the rear end frame-doenst bolt to one side of the swingarm). Some issues with normal wear and tear on some gaskets, but you have those on all bikes.

If you read the forusm religously, you will find the good and bad in any of the bikes. The old F650gs with possible bad front forks, the new G650 Serteaous with the hot start issue, the KLRs with the doohickey issue, etc.....
I have not heard of any issues of the wee-strom (650 v-strom) but then I am not on their forums. I have to admit though, when I bought my g650gs, I was looking at the wee-strom. The deciding factor was no dealer in the Louisville/southern Indiana area would allow me to test ride a wee-strom, while the bmw dealer thru me the keys and said dont make me call the cops on you, and let me test ride it by myself for quite a few miles.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Just had to post about putting a big smile on your face. In Dec. of 2012 I purchased the new Honda 2013 CRF250L and this bike puts a big smile on my face every time I ride it, not sure why, but I think it has to do with my first dirt bike rides back in the 60's. It's no highway queen for sure, but getting to 55mph is a blast to ride anywhere.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
_ransom_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Just had to post about putting a big smile on your face. In Dec. of 2012 I purchased the new Honda 2013 CRF250L and this bike puts a big smile on my face every time I ride it, not sure why, but I think it has to do with my first dirt bike rides back in the 60's. It's no highway queen for sure, but getting to 55mph is a blast to ride anywhere.

John
haha, glad to hear it. everyone should have at least one bike like that.
_ransom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #24
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 321
I would hold fast on having a bike with abs especially if you are a newer rider. No one can tell you how you will react in a panic situation and for me I know abs has saved my butt too many times. I wouldn't leave home without it.

For me I would pick the dl. Everything I have read about the 2012 and newer has been extremely positive. Quite a few changes and all of them for the better. Better two up bike, can be ridden off road but not its strong point, extremely reliable, and ready to go right out of the box. Maintenance is easy and valve checks are spaced at 15k miles(?). Pretty much turn the key and ride, change the oil, check the tire pressure, add gas and repeat. Good luck with your decision and ride safe. Rider training cannot be over emphasized.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,545
Quote:

If you have abs, you are not supposed to be able to lock up a brake. The Honda is a street bike, the DR 650 is a Dual sport, what do you want?.

Sorry, I have been riding for years, I don't panic or lock up my brakes, I could bore you with one circumstance in 45 years of riding where not having abs saved my bacon. The rest of the time I did just fine.

Buy the DL650 and get your abs. It is not a dual sport, but it will take into some remote places if you have any off road skills.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #26
Tiago
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:

John
One of the most fun bikes I ever rode, I was cacking manically inside my helmet while riding it. Dealer wasn't to keen on doing anything but sticker price, and for 2k more the GS650 made more sense.
Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #27
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,234
Very educational

Excellent thread. Great first post.

It's been about a month.

How are thingns going?

I've skimed/read over nearly all of the G650GS threads:
Sertao
2011 G650GS
G650GS

I walked away disapointed as a potintial buyer. Granted, I'll still look into the G650GS, and offer a MSRP ($7,845 price cash OTD). Even in the dead of winter (Virginia) with 2014s on the floor, they'd still laugh at this offer.
Unlike the other bikes you mintiond, the BMW seem to be priced well above the MSRP.
I think the BMW it is one of the best looking bikes (it looks modern) on the market. For a 19" tubeless tire it is exactly what I'm looking for on the dirt.

I thought BMW rushed the bike (2011/Sertao 2012), and was very disapointed with the "silent recall." Plus, I do not want to pay into the extra image costs. The insurance is low and the gas milage is great, but it is a wash with the $250 first 600 mile service.
__

Everything I've read SHOULD have me going toward the KLR (street bike that gets the damn job done on the dirt), but I really like the DR. I like the low base approach and the sub 400lb weight. Plus, it looks good.

For what I'm looking for, all the signs point to the KLR. 80% street, with light dirt. That's me.

I just read a thread just a few mins ago where damn near everyone recommend the DR as the one and only bike in their stable!

However, the KLR is still he raining champ in the 650 DS class.

__

Tough decisions. Very fun to research.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 06:34 PM Reason: suck at writing
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
bonnyc OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
Excellent thread. Great first post.

It's been about a month.

How are thingns going?
For what I'm looking for, all the signs point to the KLR. 80% street, with light dirt. That's me.

I just read a thread just a few mins ago where damn near everyone recommend the DR as the one and only bike in their stable!

However, the KLR is still he raining champ in the 650 DS class.

__

Tough decisions. Very fun to research.
I still haven't bought my bike. KLR/DR would've been great if they had FI and ABS, which they don't. You can get FI with a Yamaha WR250R, but not ABS - it is too much of a dirt machine so it doesn't make sense on it anyway.

I disagree - it isn't that much fun to research. I got busy with work and life and I ma not even sure if I will end up buying a bike this year or not.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #29
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Husqvarna Strada TRS650. ABS, Fuel injection, plenty of fun power. Or if you prefer more dirt, TRT 650 Terra , no abs, a little taller in the saddle. On sale and reasonable priced.

I know all the other bikes, and I chose the Terra and tickled to death, best bike I have ever owned.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #30
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,302
I have a BMW F650 Dakar and I love that bike. I have upgraded the front forks and rear shock and I do not have ABS.

That being said, I think that bike would be miserable two-up.

Maybe the DL650 is a better choice for two-up and ABS is offered on that model. It has a big enough cockpit for two people and enough HP to make it happen, although, in my opinion I wouldn't go two up on a DL650 either. But people do. It's a mediocre bike for a mediocre price and very reliable. Ugly as homemade sin. if that bothers you.

KLR's have crap brakes and weigh a ton. Locking them up isn't your issue unless it's wet.

A DR650 is a neat bike being so simple, but 40 HP on a 400lbs bike, two up is no kind of fun at all. Not saying it can't be done.

Once carbs are set then there is little maintenance as long as you drain the fuel before putting it up for a time.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote