User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
60 mile daily commute,small rig needed

Well it seems we're moving end of June, which will require me to commute 65 miles to work. No highway, 99% country roads with 50 (80km/h) mph speed limit. I don't want to be riding mt F800R cause I want that to be reserved for pleasure miles.

I'll be taking my car 1-2 times a week as well. So, in order to keep the fuel costs down I'm thinking of getting either a pcx150 or something 250cc max. I remotely though about the Honda crf250l cause I could at least take it off road, but after sitting on it I know my 220lb ass would hurt after an hour on it each way, plus I'd have to get some street tires for it. Here is a list of what I'm thinking about:
Wait for Forza 400? - Really want it to be <250
PCX 150
Kymco 300i

I really like the PCX150 cause it's crazy good on gas from what I hear, feels comfortable but I've never ridden one so I'm not sure how it would do with my 220lb plus gear.

Any thoughts? If you have a better recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks
zozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Sounds Like you Need a Maxi Scooter

Sixty miles a day, I rode a 500Ri the other day for an 1.5hrs, think I should have went with the 650 Burg?
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Is that 60 miles round trip or 60 each way? Read the PCX 150 thread- one of the topics has been the frequency and effort required for valve adjustments. If you're going to put lots of miles on commuting, you might want to consider scooters with easier access to the valves and less frequent service intervals.

Don't know what they sell in your market so I won't throw a bunch of models at you. I know you don't get much from SYM, but look at the Kymcos if available.

Used, low mileage might be a better option from a depreciation point of view. Personally I don't buy into the idea that scooters and small motorcycles are economical alternatives to small cars. They're lots of fun, but weather challenges for many markets and minimal storage offset their practicality.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
500Ri Maybe, but I'd still want a 650 Twin

Less vibrations and more power on the highway! This is only a one cylinder, two cylinders are smoother, and less stressed, at continuous high rpm. I think the balancer in the twins make it smoother.
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 766
Well, since you did ask for opinions, here's a free one:

I may lose my membership in the "I love my PCX" club, but with specific duty like you are proposing, I would think something with more protection would be better suited for 65 miles (assume that's each way) and the variable weather. The PCX is a blast to ride, great fun in the city, even good in the twisties (oh, and gets crazy good mileage), but getting to and from work with an hour and 20 minute drive, mostly country roads, I think I'd like something more hefty under my butt. Especially considering covering the same thing day after day.

I have to disclose that, as a mostly-retired guy, my commute is a 5 minute walk to the boat. The previous 20 years, it was a walk to work, as well. The PCX is a fun way to get from here to there, go have lunch, pick up some groceries, and just feel the breeze. If it were me, I'd be inclined to find some way to get closer to the job.

Assuming that 65 miles (at 50 mph) is both ways, that is 2 hours and 40 minutes of commuting... put another way: 10% of the day, almost 30% of your free time (assuming 8 hours of work, 8 hours of sleep) getting to and from work... damn, that's a commute commitment! Hell, I think I'd find a low mileage, older Goldwing (1100 or 1200, that's depreciated out), and listen to some tunes while covering those country road miles.

And, just for discussion sake, the new Forza is a 300. And, would probably be a very pleasant way to commute, as well.

Captain Jim
Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
zozie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Well I do like the older goldwing idea but a bike that size with a carburetor would burn as much gas as my Mazda 5. Yes it is 65 miles each way. We don't really have a choice. My wife just got her first job as a midwife up there and my work is staying where it is. Just signed a 5 year contract on our lease so it is staying where it is... Had I known I would have got a TDI golf instead of the Mazda last November.
zozie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
GOZFST
Gozfst

Oddometer: 195
I bought a used Kymco 250 Grand Vista last winter to bop around AZ, it came with the optional touring seat, that thing is the most comfortable 2 wheeler I've owned in the 50+ years I've been riding. It has a top speed of 80 and gets over 50 mpg. Comes with plenty of under seat storage and I put a top case on it. It has good wind protection to boot.
GOZFST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
A low mileage helix..I've never seen a bike with such easy valve adjustments. Plus they have lots of legroom and good mpg.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,922
I also commute 60 miles one-way.
I ride mostly country highway with 6 miles of dirt thrown in. I've done the trip in my TT Supra, the family sedan, my old crappy ute, but mostly on bikes or scoots. Old Vmax, Sportcity 125cc scoot, the current X8 250ie, KTM Supermoto.

Any 125cc scoot will sit happily on 50-55mph all day long. The fuel-injected water-cooled versions like a Yamaha Zuma normally return 70mpg (US), the carby air-cooled versions like my Aprilia Sportcity One or a Vespa LX125/150 normally get around 55mpg. For most you will need a small fuel can to get home again.

Most 200/250cc scoots will also sit happily on that speed, and also get very similar fuel economy at steady 50-55mph speeds due to less engine loading, but generally are about 50lbs heavier and so sit better on the highway (especially with bumps and/or winds), they generally also have larger fuel tanks so will do 120miles range easily, and still have performance in reserve for those days when you have a 40knot headwind and driving storm rain (yep, done it.......).

Pick your favourite colour really.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozie View Post
Well I do like the older goldwing idea but a bike that size with a carburetor would burn as much gas as my Mazda 5. Yes it is 65 miles each way. We don't really have a choice. My wife just got her first job as a midwife up there and my work is staying where it is. Just signed a 5 year contract on our lease so it is staying where it is... Had I known I would have got a TDI golf instead of the Mazda last November.
I would look into a hybrid car - if you can get them up there.

If you can't afford that...fuel injection. As you mentioned. For economy, a motorcycle like the TU250X might do it, with about an 85 mpg rating. But it's a naked bike.

If you want some shelter, look at a Burgman 400...about 65 mpg. Get a Givi windscreen for it.

A small rig, is going to be more tiring to ride. And your commute will get tedious fast. When you get below Burgman size, it's hit and miss.

The PCX is about as good as you'll get for mileage. But cost is a factor.

I have a VOG 300; a Burgman 400 clone with a Yamaha-design engine in it...gets me 75 mpg and will cruise at 70. For sale; but again, I don't know if Transport Canada has it on the APPROVED list.

And, being Chinese, it may not hold up. It had a major engine failure under warranty; the dealer spent a YEAR trying to get parts for it. Put it together and politely told me the one-year warranty time was up. So...I'm on my own with it.

But....it runs the gamut.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by zozie View Post
Well it seems we're moving end of June, which will require me to commute 65 miles to work. No highway, 99% country roads with 50 (80km/h) mph speed limit. I don't want to be riding mt F800R cause I want that to be reserved for pleasure miles.

I'll be taking my car 1-2 times a week as well. So, in order to keep the fuel costs down I'm thinking of getting either a pcx150 or something 250cc max. I remotely though about the Honda crf250l cause I could at least take it off road, but after sitting on it I know my 220lb ass would hurt after an hour on it each way, plus I'd have to get some street tires for it. Here is a list of what I'm thinking about:
Wait for Forza 400? - Really want it to be <250
PCX 150
Kymco 300i

I really like the PCX150 cause it's crazy good on gas from what I hear, feels comfortable but I've never ridden one so I'm not sure how it would do with my 220lb plus gear.

Any thoughts? If you have a better recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks
The SYM Citycom would be an even better commuter than those two; longer wheelbase, more room and more comfort. The SYM handles my sixft four 240 lb self effortlessly. I bought mine for commuting three years ago and it has such good weather protection and handles so well that it gets used for longer rides.

I did a 600 km mountain tour in an afternoon a few days ago. 23000 km and it's been dead reliable. Very large underseat storage, which is great for the commute too.

The trick would be to find a good used one. It's not being sold in Canada presently and it's not on the Transport Canada list which is a bummer. It's really crazy because my Citycom is a US bike that SYM imported into Canada ( It even has the US DOT stickers on it, but we can't do it.)

A good second choice which is available in Canada Is the Kymco GTi 200i. Stick an AirHawk on the seat and a windshield on it and it would be a good ride if it fits you. The GTi 200 is the same bike as the GTi 300 ( not available in Canada) just with a smaller motor. The physically larger Kymco Downtown 300i works good for smaller riders but has very cramped uncomfortable seating for larger riders. It's too bad because it's a great bike.

For a long commute a Suzuki Burgman 400 would be a great fit. They get excellent milage and there are bargains to be had in noncurrent models. If I couldn't get another Citycom for a long commute, I would go for the Burgman. It looks even better when you consider that a noncurrent Burgman could be close in price to the smaller Kymco 200i. The Burgman 400 is less sporty than my Citycom or the Kymco 200i; more of a touring bike, but they are a very long lasting bike. Recent models also have ABS which is a bonus.

For high mileage commuting I would avoid the Burgman 650 like the plague. Compared to other scooters they are pigs on gas but more importantly if any of the complex electronics in the transmission fail and the belt gets chewed up and fails you're screwed. The belt is intended to last for the life of the machine and if that's only 30,000 km (not unheard of) ,it can cost $1000's to fix. Better to KISS and stick to a simple conventional CVT like the 400 that is relatively inexpensive to service.

Phipsd screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 11:41 PM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #12
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 385
If I was facing a commute like that, I would opt to have kept my Honda Helix. That bike was rock solid reliable. I would even consider a Suzuki Burgman 400 for something like that. The scooter I have now, a Burgman 650 Exec, I just don't know. If you keep on top of them, checking the transmission stop bolt and replacing it if it shows any damage every 10K miles I hear they will just go and go.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #13
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Given your location and your commute you probably have about a 5 month safe riding season (unless you're a polar bear). Long commutes are tough, long cold commutes are brutal.

Add in rain during riding season, and you're going to ride less- I live in Atlanta now, but rarely do I get a full week of commuting in due to heavy rains.

Truth is, you will drive your 4 wheel vehicle well over half the year. You might consider getting an older Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic beater and use that rather than eat up the new Mazda you said you have. Gas is only going to be a fraction of your long commute cost with a near 3,000 mile per month commute.

If you lived in Southern California my comments would be completely different. Long slogs get old really quick.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
Castle
Red Cloud Slept Here

Oddometer: 1,141
The PCX 150 is a joy to ride, does 60mph with no problem and gets about 100 mph. I ride mine to work instead of the big GS. All it needs is a clock in the instrument cluster.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #15
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
I commute 30 miles each way on a CRF-250L. It does 70mph when you ask it to, and cruises at 50-60mph very comfortably. I get a little over 60mpg. The stock tires have been fine on the pavement, even with spirited twisty riding.

But, I'm 150lb. Maybe look at a Seat Concepts seat?

Dabears makes a good point about the weather. If you want to ride in the cold, ensure a potential ride can power electric gear.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote