Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
The PCX 150 is a joy to ride, does 60mph with no problem and gets about 100 mph. I ride mine to work instead of the big GS. All it needs is a clock in the instrument cluster.
I ordered a pair of clocks for our PCXes from these folks:

http://www.clocks4bikes.com/

Nice folks to deal with, shipped fast, and it looks like it was made for the bike.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,961
For 60 miles a day, non freeway, a Zuma 125 sounds perfect. I have mine outfitted with a Shad rack, top box, and windshield, and have taken a 700 mile trip on it with no problems. It will hold 55 mph fairly well other than on hills. Any small motorcycle will also work, but the only ones I know of with tubeless tires are sport bikes, like the Ninja 250 or CBR250. Suzuki was supposed to bring over their GW250, which seems to have a more upright riding position, but it now looks like that is not going to happen.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #18
bkrdoug80
Old Dude

Oddometer: 33
60 mile commute

I have owned 78motorcycles and 28 scooters and no cars in last 15years---the most fun and toughest of all of them was the GENUINE BUDDY 150. I have owned all 3 "international series"---now own the pamplona. after first 500-600 miles---every trip go WOT for 10--15 seconds-----by time you get 4000 miles on it ,you will be running over 70mph ind.!! and i am 6ft--210lbs. funest of all the scoots and the only one i have and will keep. (i have owned all burgys, majesty, piaggio BV, vespa GTS , aprillia 200 and 500 etc!!)----I LIKE THE BUDDY!! BKRDOUG
bkrdoug80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #19
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I think you are crazy to look at a scooter.

No highway, 99% country roads with 50 (80km/h) mph speed limit - that would be pleasure for me. I would be riding my F800R and probably getting very similar fuel consumption to a 250cc scooter being ridden at 50mph. It would be even more of a no-brainer if the roads were anything other than smooth . The heavy engine in the swing-arm can make the ride harsh, so definitely try before you buy.

Scooters for me are totally about urban mobility and dashing in and out of traffic. There is none of that on your commute.

However you are perfectly entitled to be crazy if you want to be....

I ride a scooter and a BMW RT
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #20
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
At the risk of having my scooter permit revoked, I think I'd go for something like a Ninja 250/300 or a CBR250 for a commute like that. Chains, sprockets, and tires should last a long time vs clutches, rollers, belts, and small tires on a scooter.
Tires, especially, should be a better deal as those small diameters tend to chew em up. Gas mileage is probably similar, though the CBR at 50ish should really sip gas.

Do a few things to make it extra comfy like bar extensions, sheepskin, taller windscreen, outlet for electric garments, and a good rack and you'd probably do pretty well.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
X2 The Scooter is for Urban Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post
I think you are crazy to look at a scooter.

No highway, 99% country roads with 50 (80km/h) mph speed limit - that would be pleasure for me. I would be riding my F800R and probably getting very similar fuel consumption to a 250cc scooter being ridden at 50mph. It would be even more of a no-brainer if the roads were anything other than smooth . The heavy engine in the swing-arm can make the ride harsh, so definitely try before you buy.

Scooters for me are totally about urban mobility and dashing in and out of traffic. There is none of that on your commute.

However you are perfectly entitled to be crazy if you want to be....

I ride a scooter and a BMW RT
I have had several scooters and bikes too, I concur, Scooters where made for city riding. Yea, you can travel the world on one, but it was made for urban traffic.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
I have had several scooters and bikes too, I concur, Scooters where made for city riding. Yea, you can travel the world on one, but it was made for urban traffic.
I figure scooters are for whatever you want to use them for. I would have no issues riding the smallest of freeway legal scooters on interstate highways. I do think urban freeways are unsafe on any bike, or even in a car.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
The Scarabeo 200 will do the job. I know of one for sale here, $3k. It surprised me how well it did between here and Kelowna. It will hold the road well and will boogie. PM If interested.

Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #24
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 690
check out the new 2014 piaggio fly 150 v3 as well -- insane mpg and a better top speed than the pcx. it's showing up in piaggio dealer showrooms this week.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #25
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
i would go scooter. the helix or cfmoto clone are good choices. imo a 150 may be too small on country roads your 50mph limit will likely mean a 65mph commute. I used a fashion 250 to commute for a few years and it was great (all country roads but only 10mi). th 250 is a little lacking in top end at times, but gets 75mpg. my 400 is comfortable and fast, but mileage is only 60mpg. in the end wind protection is top concern for a commuter.

Any motorcycle over 250 will likely get you <50 mpg or not offer weather protection. For that long a ride each day i would also get a good bluetooth helmet for cellphone and radio.
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote