ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Stray Goose OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Garmin 60CSx dual maps?

I have a Garmin 60CSx, City Navigator Maps, and some free topo maps from an on line source.

I can put the CN maps on a micro SD card, and the unit reads them fine.

I can do the same with the topo maps.

The problem comes in if I want to have some of both on a single card.

Map source installs both types in a folder called "garmin" and names the file "gmapsup". If one type of map is installed, putting another map on the card overwrites the first, as they both are given the same name.

If the name of the folder or map is changed in any way (to prevent overwriting), my unit will not read it.

Is there any way to install both types of maps on a single card so that I can select between the two in the "maps" menu, or am I stuck having to switch cards to toggle between CN and topo maps?

:conf used
Stray Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
you can select and transfer any number of tiles from any number of maps installed in mapsource. i have city nav, roads and rec, topo and free ones on my computer in mapsource. those are all on my 60.

you can select from 1 to 2025 tiles max from any of these maps and transfer them to the gps. if you select different ones the next time only those are on the gps. the gps unit only reads one file at a time with what ever you tiles you transferred last.

you need to learn the menu option in the unit as you can switch between the maps. you choose to hide all and then show the one you want. if city nav is show it will show above any other map selected so you must 1st hide all.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Goose View Post
Is there any way to install both types of maps on a single card so that I can select between the two in the "maps" menu, or am I stuck having to switch cards to toggle between CN and topo maps?
Newer generation units will allow you to rename the gmapsupp.img files to something more descriptive. The 60 will not support this.

Multiple maps possible on a 60csx?

dlh62c screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 03:56 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Stray Goose OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the info.

If I'm understanding the replies, it looks like I'll have to prepair two seperate cards if I want to switch between map types in the field, without a computer to reload the card.

P.S. I love my new Montana!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Stray Goose OP
Adventurer

eakins,
Are you somehow able to load both CN and topo tiles on the memory card at the same time so that they are both on the card at the same time, and selectable on the 60CSx? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,510
Quote:
eakins,
Are you somehow able to load both CN and topo tiles on the memory card at the same time so that they are both on the card at the same time, and selectable on the 60CSx? If so, how do you do it?

Thanks
yes you can..while on the map page hit menu and there will be choice of which map you want to display (forget exactly the name of the choice).
I have Cn, Topo Canada, Maine topo, US topo all loaded as a map set from mapsource and can choose which one to display. There was a utility on the internet called "transparent" which would allow you to make a set of map images transparent so that you could have CN on and also a topo map which was made transparent view as an overlay to CN
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Stray Goose OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the information. I was able to get map tiles from several sources loaded in a card, CN and free topos.

New question:

My Montanna allowes me to turn off maps by type. ie all CN or all topo. In working with the 60, so far I can only toggle on/off incividual map tiles.

Is there a way on the 60 that all CN or all topo maps can be switched on or off as a group, rather than as individual tiles?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,510
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I was able to get map tiles from several sources loaded in a card, CN and free topos.

New question:

My Montanna allowes me to turn off maps by type. ie all CN or all topo. In working with the 60, so far I can only toggle on/off incividual map tiles.

Is there a way on the 60 that all CN or all topo maps can be switched on or off as a group, rather than as individual tiles?
yes..
on map page hit menu, go to map setup then information to turn on or off the specific map sets, CN or Topo or whatever..

you should download the 60csx manual from garmin, that is where I am getting this info....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Stray Goose OP
Adventurer

Thanks all!

I've got it figured out now. There is a sub menu under map setup I newer knew about. The menu just above it is the only one I've seen to date. That one only allows turning on/off individual tiles. From there, I hit Menu again and can toggle whole sets.

Now I see!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Quote:

New question:

My Montanna allowes me to turn off maps by type. IE all CN or all topo. In working with the 60, so far I can only toggle on/off individually map tiles.

Not by type but by product name, CN or Topo or ?.
From the page listing the tiles individually, hit menu one more time!

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Quote:
New question:

There may be more about your 60 you do not know.

I have an on-line class for setting up 60/76 that covers most options ( including this one).

Go to DualSportWest.com and click GPS