Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #61
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Friday morning, our last day of riding, began with good weather and a good breakfast. Good that is, if you use price as the only measurement. The folks in the office had a bunch of free samples of cereal that they happily donated to Garth and me:

They also had sample bags of Milk Bone doggie "Trail Mix". While I do have two dogs, neither came along on the trip. I suppose as one gets older one becomes better at annoying people into submission. I was given six bags.

8gv screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 08:13 PM
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #62
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

We departed Douthat with light bikes. We carried a bottle of water, a sleeping bag and matches. We had to think about what to bring because we usually have enough stuff to stay in the woods for several days. Now we needed only enough to allow an injured rider or broken bike to endure several hours of waiting for the other to go fetch the trailer.

Into the George Washington National Forest we went:

Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #63
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

I started to enjoy my new front tire more than ever. It's a Michelin T-63 and it's relatively quiet on pavement and but grips well in the dirt. For a moment I was thinking "it's a miracle tire!" then I remembered that my bike no longer had all that heavy camping crap over the rear tire. It was time to amp it up a bit!

Then I considered how amping it up got me in trouble in the last mile of last year's TET ride so I kept it at 9 instead of 11.

There were some straight sections where you could see far enough ahead to get it into top gear:

The challenge was to hold the speed long enough to assess the next bend, drop or climb. I did a lot of hard breaking. I could often hear Garth's rear wheel locking up behind me. He has a rear disc. I have a rear drum brake. A lot of effort is required to lock up my rear tire.

8gv screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 08:41 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #64
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

There's a mild hero section on the TET 7 that takes you zig zagging up a mountain ridge, runs the ridge for several miles and then zig zags you back down. If you're in this area, DON'T MISS THIS:

This sign marks the road that takes you up onto the hero section where you'll see this:

Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #65
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

The highlight of this section was an area of rocky outcroppings and grassy camp sites with incredible views. We had no gear and plenty of riding time left so we didn't camp there but someday...

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #66
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

With the ridge running complete, we continued south on the route. At this point we had logged five states on the trip. West Virginia looked like it was in our grasp so we pressed on with the goal of eating lunch somewhere in the sixth. We were now in the Jefferson National Forest.

As we descended out of the mountains we found ourselves on a rather wide curvey road that had more traffic than we had seen all week. There was so much downhill and twistyness to it that my arms started to ache from leaning forward on them. All I could think was, I hope we don't have to climb this on the way back!

We parted company with the big road and started down what should have been a one lane dirt road. It was very narrow. There were only a few cars but pulling over for a picture was risky. As it led us onto a scenic roller coaster ride we encountered this:

8gv screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 09:49 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #67
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've never been to Ireland but to me, this must be what it looks like. I regret that these shots were taken on the way back through the second time when the clouds had darkened the sky. On the first time through, the sun lit the place up brilliantly.

8gv screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 09:50 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #68
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Our free breakfast was wearing off and WV was still way over there so we headed for New Castle VA for lunch. We rolled around the tiny town looking for chow and could only find Subway. When I travel, I prefer to sample the offerings of local mom and pop restaurants. If there are none to be found, my next choice is a chain restaurant that we don't have in New England. Subway didn't really fit in our plans.

iPhone to the rescue (again)! My gps database is ancient and many of the eateries listed on it have closed. Google Maps on my phone seems to be pretty current. Give me a 3G signal and I'll find some chow. We called Mary's Country Kitchen. I told the lady who answered that I needed directions from Subway so I wouldn't have to eat there. She liked that one.

Mary's looked a little bit temporary with no plates that matched and a plastic banner for a sign. But it's the food that matters and this hit the spot:

Note that each plate is unique.

8gv screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 09:53 PM
Old 05-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #69
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Fantastic report!

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #70
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 421
Nice! We like it!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #71
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

After lunch it was time to head back up to Douthat. It took me three tries to find the route again as the green line kept suggesting we pass through a building. Garth was starting to wonder why I kept cruising through the same neighborhood when I spotted an alley between two businesses.

I was hesitant but desperate so I took it. It opened up into some run down side streets that lead us past some junk cars and then into the woods. I've got to believe this piece was found by coming out of the woods, not the way we went.

It first looked like a scene from an urban warfare video game and then a mile later a lush forest. It was then that I realized that we had been off route earlier and this, the real route, was new to us.

The road surface was reddish brown broken rock. It looked like it could do some tire damage but didn't. I suppose my "last mile of the trip" paranoia was taking hold.

I'm short on pictures so here's one from earlier in the trip. Guess the species:

8gv screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 06:07 AM
Old 05-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #72
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Clay told us it was an Elk. He said there had been attempts to reintroduce them to the area. If this one represents the herd, their future may be in question. When we encountered the elk, it was standing in the middle of the road staring at us. We stopped and waited. The elk walked TOWARD us and then sauntered off into the woods. I have video but at the moment don't know how to post it here.

I'm still scrounging for a few leftover pictures. Here's one from day one when there was runoff oozing out of the mountains everywhere:

Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #73
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Arriving back at the camp we congratulated each other on a ride without breaking the bikes. That's an improvement over last year's TET run.

From last year:

8gv screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 07:37 AM
Old 05-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #74
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

On our last night of camping the air was cool and dry. The lake was calm and the stars were shining brightly. Most importantly, the hot dogs tasted great! They were so good that Garth ate FOUR! My diet corruption skills have reached a new high!

Saturday morning we headed out for what was to be a twelve hour drive home. It was boring but we kept it interesting by stopping at various Harley shops along the way. Maybe next trip we can leave the bikes at home and just bring the trailer for Garth's Harley poker chips.

8gv screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 07:39 AM
Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #75
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

The TET is a work of art crafted by some generous folks. Thanks again to Intothenew and his helpers.

As much as we had planned to get sections 7, 6 and 5 done in their entirety, I'm glad our plans changed. We lost two days due to weather but met DirtDabber and his friends. We got lost but then rode some of the BRP and the Tail of the Dragon. We saw five beautiful states in their springtime luster and nobody got hurt.

I'd call it an A+.

Thanks for riding along!

8gv screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 07:41 AM