ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
antirich5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
3000 rpm stumple/vibes: possible mapping issue?

Finally got my 14' 1190 home, and did some nice back road riding today. Still getting used to it, but one thing that's a bit odd is a strong vibration/stumble at 3,000 to 3,200 rpm or so. A little after that, and it sorts itself out. Results in having to down shift to 5th at another under 50-55mph. I remember dealing with this on the test ride (different bike, same model), but it seems a little worse on this one.

I know this isn't normal performance RPMs, but I like to take it easy with the wife on board, so I'll lazy shift it sometimes in town , just to smooth things out. Results in less slaps to the back of the helmet

Anyhow, the vibration/stumble sensation feels more like a fuel mapping issue than anything being out of balance. Wondering if it's worth having a new map done that helps that area out of a bit. Most of the dyno tunes I've had done were to smooth out rough spots, especially at corner exit. Maybe KTM just didn't think anyone cared about that RPM range, who knows.

Tried rain, street and race mode, no real difference in this area.

Maybe I'm wrong, and it's just an inherit trait of the 70 degree twin, don't know. Sure, I can always downshift, but my goal it to be able to ride slowly and smoothly when just putting around town. Open road is another story :-)

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Haven't ridden an 1190. But on a stock geared 990 you would be lugging quite a bit at 55 in 6th gear.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Haven't ridden an 1190. But on a stock geared 990 you would be lugging quite a bit at 55 in 6th gear.

+1

I have an 1190R and I never even think about shifting into 6th until 60MPH. I think the LC8 engines are happiest above 3000 RPM. They chug a bit until then. I rode a 990 and it felt similar.

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
squid vicious
weak sauce

Oddometer: 131
I rented a 2014 standard for the weekend, found it to do the exact same thing. That motor just didn't care much for RPM under 3K. Clicked down a gear, let the RPM come up a bit, enjoyed the ride
squid vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #5
antirich5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Yea, I also noticed that a neutral throttle at that range will also cure the stumbling issue. Not ideal, but that kind of points to a fueling issue.

Yea, I know we're all suppose to just throttle and ride, but cruising at 20-35mph at 4k just causes the bike to buck a bit, which will result in a slap to the head. Just want to be able to relax the bike in traffic/urban areas , save the fun for the open road.

I did hear that these bikes were leaned out to make emissions, which also account for the high temps too.

Again, all just a thought.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote