ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 05:21 AM   #151
Morgo
18 till i die

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day Morgo,

Even though the 1190 has plenty of grunt to pull the standard gearing, I like the extra versatility of the 16T for the dirt. It frees up the clutch a bit in slower technical stuff and the other positive (in terms of my licence at least) is that it keeps cruising speeds down a bit. Prior to the change I found myself looking down and seeing 130kph+ an alarming number of times when I felt like I was just poking along on best behaviour.

Cheers,

Danny
Hey Danny,
I went ahead and fitted a 16 also, still very easy to get up into licence losing territory but I don't think I can see me going back to the 17. I did notice the remaining fuel range calc dropping a bit but then I'm not real good at conserving fuel anyway and 300-350 is still a useful range for 90% of my riding. Went for a run down the Rocky River Road on Sat , bloody fresh in Tenterfield and like you I've not had any issue with excess heat yet.

Cheers Morgo
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #152
kingoftwins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
1190 Adventure Pics

Absolutely amazing pictures. One of a kind as far as we are concerned. Amazing colors and compositions. Well done.
Quote:
Bars

The bars' on the 1190 feel a bit narrow for my liking so I picked up a set of Pro Tapers (KX High bend) and bolted them on. These are about 20mm wider and a fair bit higher. For purely off-road use I would be tempted to go higher still but as it is, the riding position feels like a good compromise between sitting and standing. The grip on the clutch side is bonded so if you are going to switch bars a new set of grips will be necessary.

Barkbusters

I had a set of VPS Barkbusters in the shed so they got bolted up using the new BTC-06 clamp system. This is a great setup, fitting a wider range of bars and the offset gives more mounting options and a clearance for cables and brake hoses.

Mirrors

The standard mirrors mount via the brake and clutch perches. That's not unusual but it does make them a little fragile in the case of a decent crash (or even just clipping undergrowth at speed) so I raided my shed supplies again and fitted a set of Ned's Double Take Mirrors. They tuck in nicely and should bend instead of breaking.

San Francisco, CA, 94103
415-968-9467
kingoftwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #153
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
I went and sat on the 1190 adv, but couldn't find a place who had a ADV R in stock or even an ADV as a demo.. If anyone knows of one in Melb, plz let me know..

Btw, Those pics are f***in awesome! They are 1000x better than the pics from the KTM website.. I hope u dont mind but these are now wallpaper on my work pc

So my question is, how easy does the front come up under power? I missed that on the BMW's, they are too refined/not enough power

How would you go on single tracks on this? I got a F650/800gs through a fair bit.. so im wondering if the little extra weight on this would be too much of a handful on sloppy mud tracks up/down?
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #154
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
G'Day Dave,

I have felt the odd bit of heat on the left hand side but it is winter here in Oz so it hasn't been an issue so far. Maybe it will be in summer?

The 800 Tiger had a reputation for excessive heat (as would most multi's in tight going I imagine) but I never found it an issue wearing decent gear. Actually, the only time I noticed it was in traffic wearing ordinary pants.
Burren Rider, how tall are you? You said you used the Pro Taper bars for their extra height. How much taller are they? I'm 6'8" with a 40" inseam. On my current BMW I have 2" risers on the bars and a 2" drop peg kit on the foot pegs with pivot pegs just to make the bike more user friendly for me. Any suggestions for a set up on the 1190 R?

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #155
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
Hey Danny,
I went ahead and fitted a 16 also, still very easy to get up into licence losing territory but I don't think I can see me going back to the 17. I did notice the remaining fuel range calc dropping a bit but then I'm not real good at conserving fuel anyway and 300-350 is still a useful range for 90% of my riding. Went for a run down the Rocky River Road on Sat , bloody fresh in Tenterfield and like you I've not had any issue with excess heat yet.

Cheers Morgo
I imagine it would have been a bit fresh at Tenterfield. Bet the run up the Rocky was worth it though .
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #156
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftwins View Post
Absolutely amazing pictures. One of a kind as far as we are concerned. Amazing colors and compositions. Well done.
Thanks. Good to hear you are enjoying them.

Cheers,

Danny
Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #157
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
So my question is, how easy does the front come up under power? I missed that on the BMW's, they are too refined/not enough power

How would you go on single tracks on this? I got a F650/800gs through a fair bit.. so im wondering if the little extra weight on this would be too much of a handful on sloppy mud tracks up/down?
Breaking a tailbone (doing stupid things in my formative years) has left me a bit gunshy when it comes to wheelie's. The traction control tends to keep things under control most of the time but switch it off and I think you will quickly find the front end elevation you are after .

As for muddy single track, I don't know that any of the big bikes are ideally suited to it but given the choice, I would readily take the 1190 over an F800GS for the rougher, tighter stuff. The bike just feels more dirt orientated to me, the suspension works better over rough ground, it tracks nicely and the power delivery in off-road mode is very tractable. Unless you are a very talented rider though, a well set up DR650 is still going to make life easier in really snotty stuff though?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #158
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Burren Rider, how tall are you? You said you used the Pro Taper bars for their extra height. How much taller are they? I'm 6'8" with a 40" inseam. On my current BMW I have 2" risers on the bars and a 2" drop peg kit on the foot pegs with pivot pegs just to make the bike more user friendly for me. Any suggestions for a set up on the 1190 R?
G'Day,

I am only 5'11" so quite a bit lower than you. If I were taller I would simply stick some extra foam in the seat to level up the step and put some high risers on the bars. I think that would open things up nicely for the loftier among us? The peg height is adjustable on the 1190 (and the bar positioning can be moved forward and back) so there is a bit of room to play with. A set of Fastway pegs in the low position works pretty well too.

Standard Peg (Low Position - with rubber insert)

Standard Peg (Low Position - Insert Removed)

Fastway Adventure Peg (Low Position)

Old 06-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #159
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
BR, thanks for the reply.

I took the std 1190 for a test ride, but couldn't see me taking it where I normally ride the Sherco.

The R is looking interesting though. Unfortunately the dealer can't get a demo as most of the R's are already spoken for.
Dealer finally got one on the floor.
I have a deposit on it. Will pick it up in a couple of weeks.

PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #160
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,522
Can't wait to see it with a high fender.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #161
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
Hey Danny do you reckon your bike gets beak envy when there's a Beemer or tiger around?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #162
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Things have been pretty hectic at work for the last month so not a lot of motorbike riding unfortunately. I think I have worked out most of the remaining pieces of the puzzle to make the 1190 a formidable adventure bike though. I purchased a Giant Loop Great Basin bag to cart some gear in and it fits nicely on the 1190. I had previously ran Wolfman Expedition panniers on my Tiger and I was really impressed with the way they worked but I think they will end up awfully wide on the KTM due to the width required on the RHS? The Giant Loop keeps the profile nice and compact (I tended to get caught on things in the bush with the wider saddlebags previously) and the quality of construction seems really good at first glance. Dalby Moto are manufacturing some racks to suit the Andy Strapz panniers that will keep the profile considerably slimmer but at this stage I like the idea of avoiding racks altogether so I will see how this works out?

Although not a pre-requisite for an adventure bike (some would say it is a disadvantage), the muffled tones of the stock pipe have to go. I am not after something really loud but having ridden an 1190 with An Akro and no baffles, I have been suitably corrupted. I can't justify the $1,600AUD for one though so I have been in touch with the Aussie importer of Wings pipes and he has just sent through some photo's with delivery likely later this month. It will come with a carbon heat shield and removeable baffle I reckon I will be a happy camper when this arrives.

The main thing on my list though has been some decent engine protection. I have been talking to DR Joe about designing a good quality, composite bash plate but the logistics have been tricky to date. B & B Off Road, another quality Aussie manufacturer, have produced a solid looking plate for the 1190 that works out a fair bit cheaper than the KTM unit (which is on back order for another few months). While I would still like to indulge my carbon fibre fascination and work out something with Joe somewhere down the track, this plate will give me a good deal of confidence when encountering nasty trail gremlins.

With a bit of luck I should have the plate and Giant Loop bag sorted on the weekend and will post some photo's next week.

Burren Rider screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 01:05 AM
Old 07-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #163
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Danny,
  1. Any indication of price for the Wings muffler?
  2. Do you know what thickness the B&B bashplates are?
Thanks.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #164
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,875
nice pic's ... what a beast!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #165
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
The more I see of this bike the more in lust I am with it, but it does need a high fender, is there an available option?
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote