User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #166
Beagle21
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Pissed Hot ass - KTM adventurer

riding the ktm 1190 is like a sauna on wheels. wont take long for the shocky to give way plus all the expensive computers gear and battery under the seat. the test riders forgot to tell the designers about all the heat coming from the exhaust ! There is no airflow to take the heat away. Is there anyone working on a solution or do we wear asbestos pants?????

Beagle21 screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 10:58 PM
Beagle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #167
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Danny,
  1. Any indication of price for the Wings muffler?
  2. Do you know what thickness the B&B bashplates are?
Thanks.
G'Day Pete,

I think Rod was talking somewhere between $800 - $850 for the pipe? I guess that may change depending on the dollar though. Don't know what the thickness of the plate is but if it is anything like the B & B plates I have used in the past it will be well built and stout.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 AM   #168
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
Thanks.
I ask about the bash plate as i was going to make my own but my TIG will only weld up to 5mm max and the KTM bash plate is 6mm.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #169
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
The more I see of this bike the more in lust I am with it, but it does need a high fender, is there an available option?
I haven't seen a high fender kit for it. Looking at the bottom clamp and clearance to the radiator, I suspect it won't be straight forward process? At this stage, I am just going to lift the standard guard with a set of Touratech Risers. I wouldn't mind having a tinker with a high guard option somewhere down the track though.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #170
Two Tigers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
G'day Burren,

Wouldn't mind seeing the a picture of the Giant Loop and getting some feedback when you get it on, and the bash plate! I have the standard 1190 so presume the KTM luggage rack is the same to work with the Giant Loop bag?

Still trying to work out a luggage option, not big on panniers, was thinking about some soft panniers or something like a Giant Loop type bag, also don't want to go down the path of having frames etc. I like the idea of the KTM panniers in that they just slide in and clip on but just can't do the pannier thing yet. Maybe when I grow up a bit, maybe!

I have the KTM bash plate on order, although if it is going to be 3 months wait then I think I will change it to a B&B.

Got a Wings on pre order too, half the price of the Akro and will have a removable baffle for a bit more note! They are good, had one on my 690, going the shortie I think, what do reckon? And would this make any difference with the Giant Loop bag?

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
Things have been pretty hectic at work for the last month so not a lot of motorbike riding unfortunately. I think I have worked out most of the remaining pieces of the puzzle to make the 1190 a formidable adventure bike though. I purchased a Giant Loop Great Basin bag to cart some gear in and it fits nicely on the 1190. I had previously ran Wolfman Expedition panniers on my Tiger and I was really impressed with the way they worked but I think they will end up awfully wide on the KTM due to the width required on the RHS? The Giant Loop keeps the profile nice and compact (I tended to get caught on things in the bush with the wider saddlebags previously) and the quality of construction seems really good at first glance. Dalby Moto are manufacturing some racks to suit the Andy Strapz panniers that will keep the profile considerably slimmer but at this stage I like the idea of avoiding racks altogether so I will see how this works out?

Although not a pre-requisite for an adventure bike (some would say it is a disadvantage), the muffled tones of the stock pipe have to go. I am not after something really loud but having ridden an 1190 with An Akro and no baffles, I have been suitably corrupted. I can't justify the $1,600AUD for one though so I have been in touch with the Aussie importer of Wings pipes and he has just sent through some photo's with delivery likely later this month. It will come with a carbon heat shield and removeable baffle I reckon I will be a happy camper when this arrives.

The main thing on my list though has been some decent engine protection. I have been talking to DR Joe about designing a good quality, composite bash plate but the logistics have been tricky to date. B & B Off Road, another quality Aussie manufacturer, have produced a solid looking plate for the 1190 that works out a fair bit cheaper than the KTM unit (which is on back order for another few months). While I would still like to indulge my carbon fibre fascination and work out something with Joe somewhere down the track, this plate will give me a good deal of confidence when encountering nasty trail gremlins.

With a bit of luck I should have the plate and Giant Loop bag sorted on the weekend and will post some photo's next week.
Two Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #171
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
I so want one of these bikes.. Does anyone know of anywhere that has one in stock? I'm willing to go anywhere in aust to get it.

My last hope was KTM brisbane but they have a deposit on there 1 now.. :(

Otherwise there is no more until January next year..
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #172
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Question KTM factory options..

btw, was there any options when you bought your 1190?

I was told there isnt any options but then read the electronic suspension is an option, so is the quick shift, heated hand grips etc..
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #173
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Is there anyone near Wollonhong that owns an 1190. Mat from rock hard rally gear is looking to develop a bash plate/ tool box but can't get hold of a bike. Would be a deal involved to anyone that can lend him a bike. I would lend him mine but I'm in brisbane I have one fitted to my 640 and would like one for my 1190. If anyone is interested I can foward his number.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #174
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle21 View Post
riding the ktm 1190 is like a sauna on wheels. wont take long for the shocky to give way plus all the expensive computers gear and battery under the seat. the test riders forgot to tell the designers about all the heat coming from the exhaust ! There is no airflow to take the heat away. Is there anyone working on a solution or do we wear asbestos pants?????
Unfortunately this is a growing real problem. I see comments around about this, but don't think that the KTM looks for a solution. The heat is not at an extent that they have simply missed realizing during the test drives; if they had a remedy, they would do before. This is a real annoying matter and maybe the only but very bad thing, which I can tell about the bike.

I guess that KTM simply challenge the customers, they claim that they have designed a bike to compete the other large touring enduro bikes on the street, but still they expect them to ride it in full leather suits even in the city rides.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #175
felsy
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
I so want one of these bikes.. Does anyone know of anywhere that has one in stock? I'm willing to go anywhere in aust to get it.

My last hope was KTM brisbane but they have a deposit on there 1 now.. :(

Otherwise there is no more until January next year..
have you tried Marriotts Motorcycles in Leongatha (about 2 hours east of Melbourne) they have a test bike and one on the shoroom floor but unsure if they are for sale or just for show

felsy screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 03:23 AM Reason: typo
felsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 AM   #176
Bob_Wilson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
Unfortunately this is a growing real problem. I see comments around about this, but don't think that the KTM looks for a solution. The heat is not at an extent that they have simply missed realizing during the test drives; if they had a remedy, they would do before. This is a real annoying matter and maybe the only but very bad thing, which I can tell about the bike.

I guess that KTM simply challenge the customers, they claim that they have designed a bike to compete the other large touring enduro bikes on the street, but still they expect them to ride it in full leather suits even in the city rides.
I couldn't ride my 990 in shorts or ordinary trousers either. Is the 1190 different in this respect?
Bob_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #177
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Wilson View Post
I couldn't ride my 990 in shorts or ordinary trousers either. Is the 1190 different in this respect?
Nope, even worse than 990. I used to ride my 990 in shorts too and yes my legs were uncomfortable but resistable; on 1190, even the seat becomes very hot and I try not to squeeze the tank between my legs and try to place my foot as outside as possible on the pegs.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #178
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
Nope, even worse than 990. I used to ride my 990 in shorts too and yes my legs were uncomfortable but resistable; on 1190, even the seat becomes very hot and I try not to squeeze the tank between my legs and try to place my foot as outside as possible on the pegs.
Has anybody tried getting rid of the catalytic convertor?? These are cookers on the 9XXs. Maybe a full race system with a new map would really help.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #179
FuTAnT
KTM 990ADV

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
Has anybody tried getting rid of the catalytic convertor?? These are cookers on the 9XXs. Maybe a full race system with a new map would really help.
Looks like the CAT is in the silencer and not separate. I imagine a can replacement would help in that sense.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....EXHAUST-SYSTEM

The SAS system would also add to the heat at well, causing post combustion in the pipes etc.

Can also do the double coat inside and out with ceramic, helped a ton on the 990.

Still doesn't change the fact that they should have evidently had a better solution from the factory to the heat issue. The 990 was quite good after I put on aftermarket pipes and ceramic coated the exhaust. Just don't try riding a CBR954RR circa 2002. Faaaaaaaaaark ... now that was hot!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #180
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle21 View Post

This is such a bummer as I keep hearing this from multiple sources. I really hope they fix this, as I wouldnt mind purchasing when its time for a new one!!

The 1190 reminds me of a super hot broad that gives me wet dreams but ultimately is too high maintenance to stay comitted

My XC is like my real wife, very reliable does everything I want and still looks good with no makeup.
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote