ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #211
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Fjords of Norway
Oddometer: 524
Hmm, interesting cornering technique you describe there. Maybe take some lessons and report back once you've learned how to ride :-)
__________________
14' KTM 500EXC
13' KTM 1190 Adventure
12' Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #212
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer
 
igorpetrovich's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Italy
Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yascher View Post
ridden the Adv 1190, not the R, really bad headshakes, lifts the front too much and at the same time electronics cut in which creates shaking...not good if you start with full throttle and into the corner when front doesn't stick properly....awerall feeling that the weight distribution is too much to the rear
Also seat was way too low for me, knees completely bent and worst the feet on the pegs din't have a firm grip, as were not sitting flat.
In the turn it doesn't have a nice smooth transition in and out, rather like on a worn edged tire it starts to leand and then suddently drops in the turn...probably tire choice will fix that. Maybe a 17" front will make it where it has started SMT and it will handle better
Bars are same akward as 990, needs replacement + risers, clutch slave same, would benefit from a rekluse)))

Engine is fun-but too much for this kind of bike, just to have electronics constantly taiming it from wheeling....brakes are too sharp to my liking with initial bite....

Awerall-sounds good but requires almost the same work as 990 in order to make it a true weapon.

So I'm 100% a 990 keeper!!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
you really needed to find a reason yo keep you 990 right?

before the 1190R I owned a 990 just like your and after 12000km I can tell you that there is no comparation, the 1190 is way better!
__________________
Ktm 1190 adv R------ Ktm 350 exc-f
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #213
Two Tigers
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Oddometer: 93
Burren are those Fastway pegs wider than the standard ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day,

I am only 5'11" so quite a bit lower than you. If I were taller I would simply stick some extra foam in the seat to level up the step and put some high risers on the bars. I think that would open things up nicely for the loftier among us? The peg height is adjustable on the 1190 (and the bar positioning can be moved forward and back) so there is a bit of room to play with. A set of Fastway pegs in the low position works pretty well too.

Standard Peg (Low Position - with rubber insert)



Standard Peg (Low Position - Insert Removed)


Fastway Adventure Peg (Low Position)


Two Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #214
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer
 
Bigem's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Qld
Oddometer: 2,545
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yascher View Post
ridden the Adv 1190, not the R, really bad headshakes, lifts the front too much and at the same time electronics cut in which creates shaking...not good if you start with full throttle and into the corner when front doesn't stick properly....awerall feeling that the weight distribution is too much to the rear
Also seat was way too low for me, knees completely bent and worst the feet on the pegs din't have a firm grip, as were not sitting flat.
In the turn it doesn't have a nice smooth transition in and out, rather like on a worn edged tire it starts to leand and then suddently drops in the turn...probably tire choice will fix that. Maybe a 17" front will make it where it has started SMT and it will handle better
Bars are same akward as 990, needs replacement + risers, clutch slave same, would benefit from a rekluse)))

Engine is fun-but too much for this kind of bike, just to have electronics constantly taiming it from wheeling....brakes are too sharp to my liking with initial bite....

Awerall-sounds good but requires almost the same work as 990 in order to make it a true weapon.

So I'm 100% a 990 keeper!!!
What ever rows your boat I suppose!!

I have ridden the 950, 990 and both 1190s, and from my experience, the 1190 is in a different postcode to the earlier bikes!!
__________________
"I'm a thousand miles from nowhere,
Time don't matter to me,
Cause I'm a thousand miles from nowhere,
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #215
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer
 
nikoktm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Brisbane (QLD)
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tigers View Post
Burren are those Fastway pegs wider than the standard ones?
Where can I get those ones???
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #216
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer
 
Burren Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
I have been through this thread from the beginning and to this point , nothing has altered my initial opinion , I still can't see any reason to offload my 950SE for a 1190 ADV R .

Yep , it sounds nice and plenty of fun , but still will not do anything significantly better ( or any better at all ) than my SE , which now has done over 40,000 km of mostly hard core adv riding and trail riding and has not needed anything but general maintenance and the odd consumable replacements , except of course the regular need to replace those black doughnuts covering the rear rim that disappear at rapid rate proportionate to the twisting of the right wrist .

I am not dissing the 1190 , I am just still very much in love with my SE .

As an aside , I crashed my SE recently on an outback road ( read , sand covered hard pack clay ) at about 90 kph , only bent the bars and the bar mounts , the bar mounts were malleable enough to straighten out and I replaced the bars , apart from a few scratches on the front guard and tank shrouds you'd never know it has been down the road , I wonder if the 1190 R would suffer any significantly deeper issues in the same circumstance , any one seen how they fare in a crash test ?

Great thread and pics Danny !

Cheers
Alan
G'Day Al,

I see your point and can't disagree with your logic. Having been fortunate to spend a bit of time on an SE in the past, I was actually heading that way myself but good ones are hard to come by and there is certainly a premium to be paid these days on the used market. When I weighed up the costs I couldn't justify spending almost as much on a second hand SE with an unknown history as I did on a new 1190.

And then I rode the 1190R and it clicked. My impression is that the bike has taken big leaps forward on the road (in terms of stability and comfort) while still being a heap of fun in the bush. The electronics actually work in the bikes favour, which surprised me after riding some of the alternatives. It feels light, tracks well and goes like buggery when you opt for sport mode and the big silly grin that comes with it .

Would I trust it implicitly across the Simpson with all those bells and whistles, probably not. But then again, I would much rather be on my DRZ when things turn nasty because it is more in line with my ability. Once I worked this out and stopped trying to find one bike that did everything, the 1190 made perfect sense.

Cheers,

Danny
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #217
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer
 
Burren Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tigers View Post
Burren are those Fastway pegs wider than the standard ones?
G'Day,

Wider but most importantly they extend out further from the bike. The extra footing and leverage is really noticeable and I think they were a worthwhile addition. I had originally planned on Pivot Pegz which I really like on my DRZ but I have noticed that they feel a bit narrow on the bigger adventure bikes due to the extra width of the seat and frame pushing your legs outwards.

Combining the size of the Fastways with the pivoting action would be perfect I reckon?
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #218
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer
 
Burren Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Where can I get those ones???
G'Day,

I bought them through GHR. Same fitment as the 990's.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #219
Two Tigers
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Oddometer: 93
Thanks Burren.

Do you notice any more vibration without the rubber inserts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day,

Wider but most importantly they extend out further from the bike. The extra footing and leverage is really noticeable and I think they were a worthwhile addition. I had originally planned on Pivot Pegz which I really like on my DRZ but I have noticed that they feel a bit narrow on the bigger adventure bikes due to the extra width of the seat and frame pushing your legs outwards.

Combining the size of the Fastways with the pivoting action would be perfect I reckon?
Two Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #220
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer
 
Burren Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,820
Touratech Guard Raiser

I worked out on the weekend that these are only designed to fit the Standard model and not the R. The R already comes with an extra plastic spacer that raises the guard to accommodate the bigger wheel. It can be made to fit between the spacer and the guard with a few extra washers but my quick measurements show clearance to the bottom of the triple clamp drops to 220mm in this instance and I reckon there is a good chance the two will come in contact on full compression. I found out that moulded front guards can be expensive to replace when I busted one on my 800XC due to insufficient clearance so I am leaving the KTM stock for now. As it stands the clearance is respectable when running knobs but I will be looking at other solutions to get a bit more air under there in the future.

Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #221
AdvIvan
Rock on!
 
AdvIvan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Where can I get those ones???
Just bare in mind, that if you scrape your foot pegs in the asphalt while cornering, you will most likely crash. At least if not used to the sensation, so to speak :)
I've tried it a few times on my sport bikes, and it is not recommended!
So get the right kind of pegs depending on how you use the bike...
AdvIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #222
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer
 
Burren Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tigers View Post
Thanks Burren.

Do you notice any more vibration without the rubber inserts?
G'Day,

I have always disliked the rubber inserts on adventure bikes so I pulled them off the standard pegs before I even rode the bike. It's only a 2 minute job to remove them (nut is underneath) if you wanted to try riding without them and see if there is any difference?
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #223
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Yascher's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
you really needed to find a reason yo keep you 990 right?

before the 1190R I owned a 990 just like your and after 12000km I can tell you that there is no comparation, the 1190 is way better!
Well,
Rode both and all I'm saying is that the new one requires same amount of work and parts to get ut where it should be to my liking and rideability, so I will wait 3 years more to see if KTM gets the job done and during these times 990 will do the jobe perfectly as it is tuned 100% to do what I need))))
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #224
Bonsai Elephant
Banned
 
Bonsai Elephant's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hills
Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
Touratech Guard Raiser

I worked out on the weekend that these are only designed to fit the Standard model and not the R. The R already comes with an extra plastic spacer that raises the guard to accommodate the bigger wheel. It can be made to fit between the spacer and the guard with a few extra washers but my quick measurements show clearance to the bottom of the triple clamp drops to 220mm in this instance and I reckon there is a good chance the two will come in contact on full compression. I found out that moulded front guards can be expensive to replace when I busted one on my 800XC due to insufficient clearance so I am leaving the KTM stock for now. As it stands the clearance is respectable when running knobs but I will be looking at other solutions to get a bit more air under there in the future.

What a shame. First thick, heavy mud spot and that front wheel will lock right up.
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #225
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer
 
speed_racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
What a shame. First thick, heavy mud spot and that front wheel will lock right up.
I never added mud guard raisers to my F650 twin and took it through serious mud with E-07 dakars and never had a problem...

I reckon you could even argue with more room it would allow more mud to build up in there and that could clog it more severely as well?
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014