Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Not sure if your pics are so awesome that makes the R looks great
Or if the R is so gorgeous that makes the pics look amazing
I tend to believe both statements are correct
Thanks. When I first saw photo's of the 1190 I wasn't overly fussed but now I find myself wandering out to the shed just to take a look. I think the off road tyres do a lot for it's appearance.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #107
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent86pc View Post
As a 990 adventure is currently in my stable I read & watch your fantastic review & photo's with great interest. I have only one concern with the R version & that's the seat height as iam vertically challenged at only 5/9" tall. I have test ridden the standard 1190 & found its height fine but I wonder about the taller R ?. Anyway as said before keep this excellent story going one of the best if not the best I've read in a long time, well done.
G'Day,

Personally, I didn't find the R model that much taller than the standard. I think the R seat may have thinner padding in it to compensate for the taller suspension and is probably a bit narrower so the reach to the ground doesn't feel all that different to me
Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #108
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog View Post
I have one on order. I was looking on up grading my GS and rode the new water cooled. Really liked it . Have been riding bmw's for 10 years and let me say I take a lot of convincing to leave the motorad stable. Well I have never bought a bike without a test ride and never will but was lucky enough to be offered a ride on a dealers personal 1190 r. I fell in love with it within 5 minutes. It had knobbies and Akro fitted, did some off road on the test as well. I'm sold on this thing. Now waiting for a phone call within a couple weeks to pick it up. Great review burren rider.
I was a bit apprehensive at first too but I don't think you will be disappointed. Pretty awesome bit of gear so far.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #109
goldfinger
goldfinger

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day,

I think it was a matter of taking to the spot welds with a dye grinder and then pulling the bungs out. Like a big double barrel canon looking back at you when the baffles are removed.
Thanks . I suspected that was the case .
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #110
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

GPS Mounting

I mounted up my Zumo 660 using a Touratech Bracket that has been on a few bikes now and still works brilliantly. The handlebar clamps are a universal setup (perhaps MSR?) that I have also been using for a number of years.

Wiring was easy, I fished around under the dash and found the accessory wires without having to pull anything apart. Trial and error showed that Acc1 has constant power so I switched over to Acc2 which is keyed.

There is a seperate fuse in the fuse box for Acc1 but I can't seem to see any mention in the manual of a dedicated fuse for Acc2
Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #111
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

KTM Heated Grips

I went with the KTM units as they integrate with the standard switch gear, creating another menu on the dash to control them (Low / Medium / High).

They are a pretty tidy unit that mount easily (they are not cheap though compared to other aftermarket options). When I looked at the images on the KTM website, I was tempted to just buy some Oxford Grips and use the KTM wiring to integrate them via the dash. My trustworthy dealer told me that they need to be activated via the KTM Dealer Tool though so maybe that wouldn't be an option? Perhaps it would just be a matter of ticking the box on the programming tool to turn the menu option on? Electrical stuff baffles me but I am sure someone knowledgeable will be able to answer that one day?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #112
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Frame Guards

I noticed a couple of marks forming on the black sub-frame rails and figured I would make up a quick guard to keep them protected. A couple of pieces of plastic were cut to size and Zip-tied into place.

I am thinking about getting a set of Steg Pegz Extension plates and Rubbers and bolting them to the Pillion Peg Mounts. I reckon the postioning would be about right and although I have never used them, I have mates that reckon they are a good option for lengthy periods standing on the pegs?

Burren Rider screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 01:11 AM
Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #113
1WD
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 776
Oh man....

I sold my 990 3 or so months ago. I went smaller and bought myself a 530EXC. I love it, but I sure miss my 990.

Maybe one day I will return to the sweet tones of lions gargling hand grenades.... Until then, I'll live vicariously through your thread.

Top work champ!
1WD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #114
GeorgeD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
question for the tail bag

Hey!
I would like to let me know the brand of the tail bag you have!
If it's considered advertisement and you cannot tell from here, much appreciated if you send me a personal message.
Thanks!

PS: amazing photos!! keep riding and keep up the nice photos!
GeorgeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #115
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
I was a bit apprehensive at first too but I don't think you will be disappointed. Pretty awesome bit of gear so far.
I currently ride a 2004 R1150GS Adventure. Been looking at the KTM's for a while but have a few friends that ride 9XX's and they have had every thing from water pump, fuel pump, stator's coming apart, all sorts of problems, so I have riden the KTM's but never bought one. The 1190 Adventure R is scheduled to arrive here in the U.S. in February 2014. It being basically a new bike and engine, I am hopeful KTM has taken lessons from the old problems and worked them out of the new bike. I really like the looks and reveiws of the 1190 R and if it fits my 6'8" 320 lbs 40" inseam frame as well as I think it will, I will retire the BMW. My BMW has 83206 miles on it and the only problems I ever had with it has been coil packs and I had my final drive rebuilt with 71000 miles on it. I ride 60/40 street and back country dirt and single tracks and my 50 year old body is looking for a lighter steed. I'm tired of fighting the 650 lb BMW and I'm not willing to spend almost $30k on a new 1200 Adventure LC, so I'm stepping over to the ORANGE side.....

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #116
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
I currently ride a 2004 R1150GS Adventure. Been looking at the KTM's for a while but have a few friends that ride 9XX's and they have had every thing from water pump, fuel pump, stator's coming apart, all sorts of problems, so I have riden the KTM's but never bought one. The 1190 Adventure R is scheduled to arrive here in the U.S. in February 2014. It being basically a new bike and engine, I am hopeful KTM has taken lessons from the old problems and worked them out of the new bike. I really like the looks and reveiws of the 1190 R and if it fits my 6'8" 320 lbs 40" inseam frame as well as I think it will, I will retire the BMW. My BMW has 83206 miles on it and the only problems I ever had with it has been coil packs and I had my final drive rebuilt with 71000 miles on it. I ride 60/40 street and back country dirt and single tracks and my 50 year old body is looking for a lighter steed. I'm tired of fighting the 650 lb BMW and I'm not willing to spend almost $30k on a new 1200 Adventure LC, so I'm stepping over to the ORANGE side.....
Only problems have been coils and Final drive? The only problems with my KTM has really been a water pump,And that was only 80 bucks for the part,and fairly easy to install,even for me. I bet a BIT cheaper then replacing a final drive.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #117
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
Only problems have been coils and Final drive? The only problems with my KTM has really been a water pump,And that was only 80 bucks for the part,and fairly easy to install,even for me. I bet a BIT cheaper then replacing a final drive.
Never said anything about replacing my final drive......hmmm wonder where you read that.....let me go back and proof read my post again......nope, typed, I had it rebuilt ! Newbusa you need to have your vision checked. My final drive was not out by any means, bearing were worn from 71000 miles. How many miles you got on you KTM ? ? ? I've been riding for over 37 years and probably have around 800,000 miles on motorcycles combined, from many brands and the BMW has been one, not the only, but one of the most reliable. It has never made me walk. There are a lot of folks including myself that can't say that about other brands including my buddy that had his stator bolts come out of his KTM 990 and completely destroy the case. There are a lot of bikes out there that have possible inherent problems including BMW and KTM, so we will just drop the mud slinging and move on to talking about the new 1190 R.

bigdave-gs screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 01:55 PM
Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #118
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,158
Attack
Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #119
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
Take it outside boys
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #120
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Take it outside boys
No need to take it anywhere, I done. Now let get back to talking about the 1190 R ! ! !