ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #46
EVLED
Studly Adventurer
 
EVLED's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 558
Could be interested if there's room for one more...
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 AM   #47
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
hi Phil. can u explain day 2 a bit more

thanks
Hi Steve. Whakaatane - Opotiki - Motu - then head north to East Cape via back roads. After East Cape carry on around the coast back to Whakatane.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #48
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap
 
Steve in NZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Oddometer: 1,047
route update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Hi Steve. Whakaatane - Opotiki - Motu - then head north to East Cape via back roads. After East Cape carry on around the coast back to Whakatane.
so from Motu u mean carry on towards Gisboring via Whakarau Road, SH2 (aka Matawai Road ) Back Ormond Road, Waimata Valley road, Hokoroa Road, Tauwhareparae Road, Fernside Road, Mata Road . (now unsure if u can thru to Tuakau Road ) or you have to head back out to coast to SH35.

Can Pete from Gizzy telll us (have sent Pete from Gizzy a message)

If you can you then go onto Ihungia Road and come out just west of Waipiro Bay sth of Ruatoria
--------------------------------------

Motu u mean carry on towards Gisboring via Whakarau Road, SH2 (aka Matawai Road ) Back Ormond Road, Waimata Valley road, Hokoroa Road, Tauwhareparae Road,

I have done this bit and all ok. was a bit of logging going on up here from Waimata Valley road, Hokoroa Road, Tauwhareparae Road,
__________________
Cheers Steve

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #49
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
so from Motu u mean carry on towards Gisboring via Whakarau Road, SH2 (aka Matawai Road ) Back Ormond Road, Waimata Valley road, Hokoroa Road, Tauwhareparae Road, Fernside Road, Mata Road . (now unsure if u can thru to Tuakau Road ) or you have to head back out to coast to SH35.

Can Pete from Gizzy telll us (have sent Pete from Gizzy a message)

If you can you then go onto Ihungia Road and come out just west of Waipiro Bay sth of Ruatoria
--------------------------------------

Motu u mean carry on towards Gisboring via Whakarau Road, SH2 (aka Matawai Road ) Back Ormond Road, Waimata Valley road, Hokoroa Road, Tauwhareparae Road,

I have done this bit and all ok. was a bit of logging going on up here from Waimata Valley road, Hokoroa Road, Tauwhareparae Road,
Yea, something like that
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #50
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Land of the Hardcore
Oddometer: 262
Bearing in mind this is a Cape to Cape ride, the distance for day 1 wont include the distance you will need to ride to get to Cape Egmont. As Phil has said these will be big days. Day two is pretty much as Steve said (pending confirmation the roads are passable). Returning either to Whakatane or Opotiki. Officially the ride will end at East Cape.
Fuel stops will be an issue for some. 91 fuel is avaliable at Bennydale and a few places around the coast.
Some bikes may need to carry or divert for fuel along the route.
We will most likely run this as a GPS file ride. Riders will be able to ride at their own pace and indeed even choose their own route. Its the start point and finish point that matter after all. How much adventure you choose to have in between is entirely up to the individual.
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #51
Ducatijim
Hopeless Poseuer!
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Reporoa NZ
Oddometer: 292
You telling me that this adventure thru the mid north island don't include sh38?
__________________
Buell Uylsses...Yes!

I am no gynaecologist, but I would be happy to take a look.............................................. ......................................
Ducatijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #52
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim View Post
You telling me that this adventure thru the mid north island don't include sh38?
No SH 38. While its a neat ride we want to go through Motu as its done less often, well, by us anyway. And it's a neat ride too.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #53
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap
 
Steve in NZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatijim View Post
You telling me that this adventure thru the mid north island don't include sh38?
problem going thru SH38 is past the Murapara end towards SH5 and if ya turn down Goudies and Plateau Road and head down that way its like going to the southern states of the USA.

Can here banjo music playing. Locals got 6 fingers and webbed feet
__________________
Cheers Steve

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #54
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Land of the Hardcore
Oddometer: 262
One of the problems with 38 was tying it in with accomodation. Currently we are looking at the roads around the northern sides of the lakes then as stated the Motu and that whakawhateveritscalled road.
As stated the start and finish are the only bits set in concrete. If riders choose they can ride 38, hell they can do the whole thing tarseal if they want.
All that aside lets remember a simple thing. From East Cape, we have to come home somehow
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #55
Padmei
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,564
If the weather is good that weekend & I end up going up for the ride I would prob look at cruising back down from Gisborne. Is the road back up to Whakatane quite cool?

I would prob be taking some tarseal shortcuts too if it was getting late for my milo.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #56
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
problem going thru SH38 is past the Murapara end towards SH5 and if ya turn down Goudies and Plateau Road and head down that way its like going to the southern states of the USA.

Can here banjo music playing. Locals got 6 fingers and webbed feet
The locals looked after Jatz OK when he broke down on the DR 350 in there.
Mind you, he's never spoken of that night in the Urewera's
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #57
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
If the weather is good that weekend & I end up going up for the ride I would prob look at cruising back down from Gisborne. Is the road back up to Whakatane quite cool?

I would prob be taking some tarseal shortcuts too if it was getting late for my milo.
The road from East Cape in either direction is great riding. The inland road from Gisborne to Wairoa is brilliant.
Our route on either day has several options to get on the tarseal and cover some ground.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #58
ztaj
jatz
 
ztaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nelson-ish New Zealand
Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
The locals looked after Jatz OK when he broke down on the DR 350 in there.
Mind you, he's never spoken of that night in the Urewera's
Thanks for the reminder Phil ..... Guess I'll have to go back to therapy now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
If the weather is good that weekend & I end up going up for the ride I would prob look at cruising back down from Gisborne. Is the road back up to Whakatane quite cool?

I would prob be taking some tarseal shortcuts too if it was getting late for my milo.
There is some nice riding when heading south from east cape. I got from Tokomaru bay to the 2:30 ferry with a bit of sight seeing on route earlier this year, mind you I wasn't mucking about when on the bike Out towards the coast south of Hastings is pretty good too, Route 52 is a mint bit of seal if you have to "press on"
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #59
GPS MAN
Lost!
 
GPS MAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: New Zealand.....
Oddometer: 69
I will be a starter: contingent on work obligations ~ This is our busy time of the year with farmers.....
GPS MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #60
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer
 
kiwipeet's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Gizboooooring
Oddometer: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
so from Motu u mean carry on towards Gisboring via Whakarau Road, SH2 (aka Matawai Road ) Back Ormond Road, Waimata Valley road, Hokoroa Road, Tauwhareparae Road, Fernside Road, Mata Road . (now unsure if u can thru to Tuakau Road ) or you have to head back out to coast to SH35.

Can Pete from Gizzy telll us (have sent Pete from Gizzy a message)

If you can you then go onto Ihungia Road and come out just west of Waipiro Bay sth of Ruatoria
Yep, I'm pretty sure Tuakau is the one i'm thinking of. Yep, that's it. You can get all the way from Waimata Valley Road through to Ihungia and Pop out Just north of Tepuia (near Waipiro Bay) without coming back out to the highway).

Mata road used to join up with Ihungia, but a section of the road is now officially closed from the intersection of Mata/Tuakau .
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014