Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #61
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Yep, I'm pretty sure Tuakau is the one i'm thinking of. Yep, that's it. You can get all the way from Waimata Valley Road through to Ihungia and Pop out Just north of Tepuia (near Waipiro Bay) without coming back out to the highway).

Mata road used to join up with Ihungia, but a section of the road is now officially closed from the intersection of Mata/Tuakau .
thanks for that Pete. I see on google Mata Road does contact up with Ihungia but these maps are over 6 years old and the top bit is in cloud. can always wander up and come back if closed as it is just a big loop. At the end of Ihungia road where it meets highway I suggest go sth for about 5km and turn back out towards Waipiro bay. Down at Waipiro back go along dead end McIiroy road as runs next to beach.

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #62
DLRuapuke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Mata Road section that's closed ( or has the Road Closed sign out ) is passable - one way traffic etc
Slip came through the head of the valley and like most unstable east coast roads scoured out the lower bank and formed road
We rode it a few months back on a bit of a ticky tour loop up the Cape and back thru the Motu and home via Waikaremoana etc
From memory you could turn off the Mata prior ( south ) on another connecting road leading to Ihungia ?
If your camped up Te Araroa give the campground 6 or 7 ks North of the town a wide berth and best to stay at Hicks - even the friendly store people suggested it !!!!
Cheers
Gary
DLRuapuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #63
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRuapuke View Post
Mata Road section that's closed ( or has the Road Closed sign out ) is passable - one way traffic etc
Slip came through the head of the valley and like most unstable east coast roads scoured out the lower bank and formed road
We rode it a few months back on a bit of a ticky tour loop up the Cape and back thru the Motu and home via Waikaremoana etc
From memory you could turn off the Mata prior ( south ) on another connecting road leading to Ihungia ?
If your camped up Te Araroa give the campground 6 or 7 ks North of the town a wide berth and best to stay at Hicks - even the friendly store people suggested it !!!!
Cheers
Gary
Bewty Gary
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #64
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawberism View Post
Bewty Gary
Looks like we sweet for where we want to go
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #65
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
the digs

so where ya lookin at staying in fukatane Igiveup or Ohope http://www.ohopebeach.co.nz/or Tirohanga Motor vamp http://tirohangabeachmotorcamp.co.nz/

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #66
jafar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Could be keen on this one, will know a bit closer to the date though
jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #67
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday 26th of October. 7:30 (thats the morning 7:30, not the night time one) Assemble at Cape Egmont Lighthouse . Bring a packed lunch
Scared yet?

You may now comence with the oil, tyre and fuel questions
Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 AM   #68
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,944
Already booked my leave. Should be good for fuel...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #69
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
gonna make a big effort to get on this one!May be out of action for abit but this is a ride i have long thought about!Tourances be OK?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #70
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
gonna make a big effort to get on this one!May be out of action for abit but this is a ride i have long thought about!Tourances be OK?
This is not one off our "Knarly Naki Rides" so Tourances will be fine What pressure you going to run in them
We are still fine tuning so distances between fuel are not set in stone yet.
The concept behind this ride is Cape to Cape (thus the name). Because of the distance involved it is being designed as a "Big Boys Ride". This means a mix of Tarseal and as much gravel as we can join in along the route.
I mentioned to Phil a river crossing I know off not far from the start and got told off . So if your looking for a technical chook chaser ride, best you join the group up North
Right I am off to polish the Beemer
Old 06-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #71
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

And i'm off to the shed to find all the pieces to mine
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #72
Oaters
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
have told my wife I intend doing this ride - in sales speak this is the 'assumptive close' - and I plan on doing it on my R12GS in the understanding this is big bike friendly with the only Adventure being gravel :)
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #73
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
have told my wife I intend doing this ride - in sales speak this is the 'assumptive close' - and I plan on doing it on my R12GS in the understanding this is big bike friendly with the only Adventure being gravel :)
Yes, only gravel. Big bike friendly. Colin will be on his Beemer and I will be on mine. The adventure will be the distance !!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #74
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

No single track stuff Aslan Big bike, dual sport tyres all good.
We are still working on parts of it but at present due to the distance involved it will not be a group ride as such. It will be a ride at your own pace, stop when you want, take a shortcut when you feel like it type of ride. (Working on route sheets and GPS thingys for you to follow)

Day 1 will be Cape Egmont to Whakatane, Day 2 will be Whakatane to East Cape. The official ride will end there. Phil and I plus anyone who cares to join us will then be heading from East Cape to Opotiki. Back to the Naki on day 3. Others may choose to head South towards other places.
Clear as mud?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #75
howieNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Should be a starter for this. To ruin the BMW owners ride I'll be on the KLR. Did a 630km ride last Monday on the way back from the brass including a a bit of gravel, and a bit of rain, before jumping on the ferry.

Seen to be a few Wgtn riders interested here. Could be a Friday ride up to the Naki to organise. Might also pay to think about accomodation as it's a long weekend but probably better to discuss that in the wellington rideouts thread and not clutter this one up.
howieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote