Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #76
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by howieNZ View Post
Should be a starter for this. To ruin the BMW owners ride I'll be on the KLR. Did a 630km ride last Monday on the way back from the brass including a a bit of gravel, and a bit of rain, before jumping on the ferry.

Seen to be a few Wgtn riders interested here. Could be a Friday ride up to the Naki to organise. Might also pay to think about accomodation as it's a long weekend but probably better to discuss that in the wellington rideouts thread and not clutter this one up.
Be good if you can join us Just one clarification, this is not a BMW owners ride, although Phil and I do own BMW's Reason I will be riding the Beemer as opposed to my Yamaha is because of the Yammy's seat and my arse not being friendly over long distances The ride is open to all makes and models of bike and even ugly riders are welcome
There are motor camps at Opunake and Oakura as accomodation options for starters
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #77
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Be really keen to get a peak at the GPS file. I'm based in Palmy and I'm thinking of coming back via Waikaremoana...
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #78
howieNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawberism View Post
Be good if you can join us Just one clarification, this is not a BMW owners ride, although Phil and I do own BMW's There are motor camps at Opunake and Oakura as accomodation options for starters
I only Mentioned the BMW owners in jest as the posts above mine seem to indicate a reasonable number of BMW riders being interested.

As to the Accommodation, I am thinking of travelling light and moteling it if I can find 2 or more wgtn riders that would like to share the units, as the cost difference to a motor camp cabin is not that large if split 3 or more ways.
howieNZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #79
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

http://www.headlands.co.nz/home.html
Check this out

Hopefully we will get a good turn out of the big bikes (all brands and models). Phil and I organise these rides mainly for our own pleasure. Last few rides we have done have been small bike rides (and a bit of humour apparently ) We decided it was time to change toys.
Also it would be a shame to have two perfectly good Capes. Both with lighthouses and roads between them not take advantage of that.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #80
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Macawberism & Howie - encouraged by your posts

Colin thanks for the effort you and Phil are putting in to this - just reaffirmed my intentions of doing this ride to the wifey - all good

Howie - I'd be keen to ride up to the 'naki with you on the Friday - perhaps leave around middle of the day - similarly keen to share accom with you on the way South - recall last time after an MMMM the excellent Cafe scene in Napier - doing this on the Monday en route for Wellywood

Sorry folks haven't figured out how to include both your posts
Oaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #81
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Macawberism & Howie - encouraged by your posts

Colin thanks for the effort you and Phil are putting in to this - just reaffirmed my intentions of doing this ride to the wifey - all good

Howie - I'd be keen to ride up to the 'naki with you on the Friday - perhaps leave around middle of the day - similarly keen to share accom with you on the way South - recall last time after an MMMM the excellent Cafe scene in Napier - doing this on the Monday en route for Wellywood

I'd like very much to ride into battle with you as well Aslan. (sorry reading too much game of thrones) dunno if I'd subject you to my snoring tho.

BTW to multiquote click on the little speech bubbles looking symbol beside quote for every post you want to quote. Then click on New Reply & those quotes will come up automatically.

Also while we are on internet ettiquette if anyone doesn't know (not directed at you Aslan) - if you wish to submit a comment about a pic from a post with many many pics in it, you can use the delete button to delete all the other unnecessary pics. That cleans up the thread & won't drive me to muttering.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #82
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I'd like very much to ride into battle with you as well Aslan. (sorry reading too much game of thrones) dunno if I'd subject you to my snoring tho.

Hi Padders - I'd be delighted to ride up to the 'naki with you and share accomm en route with Howie et al

I've shared a room with you on the 2009 Dusty Butt and you did warn me about the snoring - recall my deafness

Anyway hope you can make it to this ride - PM me if you want a bed for the Thurs and Monday evenings

Cheers S aka Aslan

Oaters screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 02:21 AM Reason: syntax
Oaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #83
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 852
Quote:

I could be keen to hook up on the Friday for the ride up too.
I'll probably stay in Tolaga bay or Gizzy on the way back, although Brians place (backpackers) in Tokomaru bay is pretty good, the pub there was a little spendy :(
ztaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #84
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Approx Ks, Cape Egmont to Whakatane 556 ks Whakatane, East Cape 400ks (557 back to Opotiki ) These will be big days
However if those hard barstards in the South Lump can do a 1000 in 2 days over some really technical stuff its time we in the North Fish had a go at being hard men

Then we shall celebrate
Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #85
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Well folks, we've run into a slight hiccup with our plan A. I've been investigating into accomodation in the Whakatane area, in the form of Holiday parks, they all want bookings for 2 or 3 nights over the long weekend.
Do any of you guys who are familia with the area know of a place we can stay ( remembering its Labour weekend and normal rules may not apply ) Dawn and I quite happy to stay in motels but some may want to keep the costs down.
It would be good if we can all stay in the same place on the Saturday night and we want to be near food.
Phreaky Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #86
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
hi Phil. did u try Awakere hot springs about 20 kms from fakatane.

http://www.awakerisprings.co.nz/

option C. guy towards Rotohua called Clint

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #87
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
hi Phil. did u try Awakere hot springs about 20 kms from fakatane.

http://www.awakerisprings.co.nz/

option C. guy towards Rotohua called Clint
I'm not sure other than the holiday park, what's at Awakeri ? Resteraunt near.
No offence to Clint's Pad but we want to be close to Whakatane or it will make the next day to long.
Colin has suggested Kawarau. Couple of big Motels there.
Phreaky Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #88
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
No offence to Clint's Pad but we want to be close to Whakatane or it will make the next day to long.

unsure f restaurants. ring I'm take ya chances in a gay bar

Kawerau. you want to become a statistic. fork that

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #89
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by howieNZ View Post

As to the Accommodation, I am thinking of travelling light and moteling it if I can find 2 or more wgtn riders that would like to share the units, as the cost difference to a motor camp cabin is not that large if split 3 or more ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post

Quote:
could be keen too...def keen on motel type arrangement,prolly not to keen on camping after 600 k day.the pd could prolly get well over 500ks out of a tank,never filled it to the brim have got over 500 before
Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #90
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Not much fine dining around Awakeri but there is a fish & chip shop & a bottlestore 5 min down the road. The Awakeri camp is a nice spot.

Kawerau could be an interesting cultural experience

My place is about 1hr from Whakatane, I'd be happy to host a few & arrange a BBQ or something for dinner. Book a Bach might cater for the rest - Gisborne Pt area - I know most people renting out baches would be less than keen on a 1 night booking on a long weekend too but the large house over my back fence is sometimes available & I could give the owner a call & enquire if you like.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote