User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 794
Does the bike I really want exist

Ok...admittedly I go through bikes like water so that doesn't help much. I might have a buyer for the DR650 I just finished building exactly how I wanted. Fully set up. Runs great, has plenty of power. Suspension is good. Did sections of slab like a champ. But what I found is that since I am taller (6'4") every time I would put my pivot leg out it would hit the ground prematurely and found that I wanted the bike much taller on many occasions. This is my third DR 650 and yes I like the engine and everything I can do with them but I am not sure it will ever do what I want.

I had a 2011 Husqvarna TXC511 that I made street legal and it did well but not enough ability to carry all the necessary stuff for long distance off road. WR450 was closer but not enough grunt for me and does not like to be tractored around...I found it got too hot too fast. DRZ did not have enough legs on slab. I like to have some good low in grunt, taller suspension, ability to have long range with gas, and enough support on the bike that I can carry tubes, tools, and what ever else I need.

So I understand that there is not a bike that will be perfect for me, but I was wondering what the masses thought I should look at.....640 Adventure (is it too heavy or too tempromental), 690 Enduro, XR650R, TE510 with big tank, 525 with big tank or a 530 or 505 or something else I am not thinking of???? My main concern is with the pure bulletproofness (yes that is a word...I just typed it) DR650....that is what I really like and availability and how inexpensive the parts are.

What are your thoughts....real world experience please no DR650s suck anyway because they are not KTM.....that will not help me at all.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
You need a Husaberg!

Check out the Husaberg ADV Traveler Thread, it has many examples of us 70 owners doing long distance travels both on street and dirt while carrying camping gear on a high performance, bulletproof, low maintenance bike. A few big and tall guys make it work for them too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782994

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

I had an older FX650...it was a death machine. I was considering the FE570 when I bought the TXC511. I don't have a problem with Husabergs at all just worried about chugging one all day....they are a bit high strung like the 511 from my understanding. But I will look at them again. I know it comes down to gearing but they can tolerate 70 miles at highway speed???
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
When you include 'tractored' in a message and talk about carrying large loads and extended range I wonder why you did not include the KLR on your list? I'm 6'2 and have a buddy that is 6'4 and have no problems with them. He used to race dirt bikes and is very impressive with the KLR off road. I can usually make mine go where I want, but he makes it look simple, so the capability is there. It is a pig and top heavy, but if you like modding you can make the pig move a little quicker. Add a custom suspension and/or raising links and it should do what you want. I'd say it's at least worth looking at if you haven't already.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
I run 14/45 gearing and have done 800+ miles on interstate in a day, countless 200-300 mile slab rides to get where I want to go to explore. The bike is very smooth on the pavement and the motor can take it no problem. 15,000+ miles on mine and the valves are still in spec from the 300 mile service. You'll need to get a cush drive hub to avoid having to replace the counter shaft like I did after 10,000 miles - 50% street without one. Add in a Safari tank and you have a 200 mile range, with the FI it gets 45-50 MPG on "roads", gravel or paved, of course less on tight single track.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Been there done that doohickey, have the tshirt....was not for me....was great bike, yes it is bulletproof, and yes you can tractor it around all day, but I feel that the DR offroad is much better...but that is my opinion. I

Thank you for putting your input in though...I do appreciate it very much. These are all the things that make me think about what I want and what I don't want.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,539
Does the bike I really want exist?

Are you asking the right questions? Without them you will always be wondering. Anything and everything will be a compromise, but then you already know that.

I dont believe that the issue is with any bike you have or may have had, but your expectations.
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." There is a point where you accept what you have and decide to enjoy it for what it is and what it is not. There is a point at which a dog stops chasing its tail...
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
I figured with that list you either had one or at least tried it, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway just in case. If you are doing more offroad than on, I'd also agree the DR is better. I understand where you are coming from, I'd personally like something a little better offroad, but for my expeditions, and once you include price and the aftermarket it is hard for me personally to beat the KLR. I'd still like something a little different/better, just don't think it exists, yet... Bikes are like women, everybody is looking for something different, but sometimes you have to settle a bit
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Well you have a good point.

I gain a lot of pleasure getting a bike and looking at what I can do to it, building it and seeing how what I have done works.

With this DR I have, I swapped the front end for a DRZ400, found aftermarket triples, did some fab work for the dash, on and on. And it really worked well off road yesterday. Just not exactly what I want.

Maybe I just like trying all the different bikes. Maybe that is a flaw I have or maybe I just really love variety and finding ins and outs of different bikes.

I can fully admit that I don't keep them long at all.

But I feel that I will keep my 04 1150GS Adventure a long time, and the 2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 I traded the Husky TXC511 for is so much fun I will keep it for a while as well. Sometimes bikes are just right for the person and I just have not found that bike yet for me for off roading.

I believe that I need a single track bike and a long distance off road bike and I thought the DR650 would be that long distance off road bike, it is close but not quite.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,151
I know everybody thinks their bike is the "right" one. But I did a lot of thinking before I bought my 640E. I wanted something reliable but with dirt ready suspension and enough motor to keep me entertained. I had no idea what to get next. I just knew I was sick of detuned motors and junk suspension.

Then a friend put me on his 640E and let me do a few miles of rock infested mountain trail and road. It did everything I wanted the bike to do. So I badgered the guy about reliability and he convinced me the KTM horror stories were mostly BS regarding the LC4. Problem solved. Five abusive years later nothing has broken. Nothing.

So far my 640E has been hands down the most reliable bike in 35 years of owning and riding nothing but dual sports. I haven't even had to adjust the valves yet. This thing has been ridden flat out for hundreds of miles like a cross country racer, been smashed and beaten in rocks like an enduro and commuted like a street bike in between.

My standard caveate any time I say this though: ride one first. I don't notice the vibration. It isn't even a minor annnoyance to me. But the guy I bought it from hated the vibration. It is an individual thing. Anyway, my 640E is the most comfortable (Renazco seat - KTM seats suck is the other caveate), most reliable and most versatile bike I have owned.

I actually added the MXC to my stable because I want to keep the 640E for a while and needed to stop thrashing it (and crashing it) on goat trails.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Speaking of the 640E, any thoughts on the 625 SXC????

I am intrigued about the 640E, I put the 640 Adventure in my original post due to the racks and big tank but 640E is a good idea that I was not thinking about.

Thanks and I will start reading up on them.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,617
Look at the lc4 index thread, all you want to know is there.

Previous poster mentioned the vibration, like him, doesn't bother me.
I had an ADV and then a E, I like the E better - I don't need to big fairing and huge tank - the 4.7Gal is enough for me.

it's tall, but that doesn't seems to be a problem for you.
Parts are plenty - aftermarket too. Does about 40-45Mpg with stock carb, you can put a FCR39 if you want to with proper exhaust you'll have more power than you need -

You were asking about 690 in the PM, it's like the 640, just 2 or 3 time more expensive and the jury is still out regarding the EFI system.

I had a 640ADV, then a 640E which I liked much more than the ADV and now a 690R (selling the 640E).
I upgraded because I could, and I wanted something newer.
Rode 360 miles of dirt this weekend on the 690R.

is it $5000 better than a 640E well setup - I don't think so - 640 is very capable fun bike.
Is it worth the price tag? for me, yes - but I wanted something new... and that's my middle life crisis
Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

The SXC is a few pounds lighter, holds a little less oil, no cush hub and usually a smaller fuel tank. The second oil filter is in a cannister above the engine rather than the somewhat vulnerable place it is located on the E. You need a serious skid plate (Flatland Racing) to ride rocks on the E because of the filter location on the front downtube. The SXC comes with the lightweight but quiet competition muffler and the E with the boat anchor Supertrapp.

Otherwise they are basically the same bike. An SXC would actually have been my first choice if I hadn't found a well sorted E first. I don't need 18l fuel capacity and I have ridden too many dirt bikes on the highway to give a damn about the cush hub. But, now with a few years under my belt and the MXC in the garage, the E is my preference. With the competition muffler my E is still only 325 pounds or so wet. So it is no porker by Japanese standards.

To me, it really is a toss up. More street than dirt get the E or even the A. More dirt than street get the SXC. But you need to ride one to see whether your ass says paint shaker or thumper. Forgot to add in the first post, I am 6'2" so I also like a pretty long legged bike. The E fits me perfectly sitting down. I can't stand much anymore which is why I wanted real suspension in the first place. If you are a stand up guy you will likely want bar risers or a different bend bar.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 11:45 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The SXC is a few pounds lighter, holds a little less oil, no cush hub and usually a smaller fuel tank. The second oil filter is in a cannister above the engine rather than the somewhat velnerable place it is located on the E. You need a serious skid plate to ride rocks on the E because of the filter location on the front downtube. The SXC comes with the lightweight but quiet competition muffler and the E with the boat anchor Supertrapp.

Otherwise they are basically the same bike. An SXC would actually have been my first choice if I hadn't found the E first. I don't need 18l fuel capacity and I have ridden too many dirt bikes on the highway to give a damn about the cush hub. But, now with a few years under my belt and the MXC in the garage, the E is my preference. With the competition muffler my E is still only 325 pounds or so wet. So it is no porker by Japanese standards.

To me, it is really a toss up. More street than dirt get the E or even the A. More dirt than street get the SXC. But you need to ride one to see whether your ass says paint shaker or thumper.
can't agree more. I'd go "E" for the oil and just get a Flat land racing skid plate - and call it done.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

205'ed me while I was editing in the plate I use.