Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 800
Pic of me sitting on the DR650 yesterday during the ride. I wish it was taller.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 716
IMHO tall is not good, it is a necessary evil. Now I have to ask you, why are you throwing your pivot leg out at all? I reserve that motion as a last ditch recovery. I figured out a while ago the best place for your feet are on the pegs.
Ironwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #18
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Well since Dunlap 606 are complete shite, I found myself needing to use it in nearly every turn as to not fall down.

As far as using a pivot foot, in tighter turns I personally use it quite a bit...but I am sure everyone has a different way of riding. I grew up riding dirt bikes on mx tracks....it is what I do. Has worked for me for 32 years thus far.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,045
If you like the DR650 and the only problem you have with it is the seat height, I suggest you go to a custom seat maker like Renazco and get a taller seat for it.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Nope...height of the whole bike....I have put lowered foot pegs and risers on the bar.....I do stand as much as possible. Just feel that I am more comfortable on a taller bike. It is what I am more comfortable on.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #21
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,933
I agree with him. I am tall with long legs and getting old which makes me uncomfortable on lower bikes like the DR and KLR. My old XL600R was killing my knees. Seat height just isn't an issue to me offroad because I can put my feet down on almost any bike. But having my ancient knees cramped and rebuilt ankles crowded is. If I could still stand much the LC4 would get bar risers. But at least the peg to seat reach works for me with the Renazco seat. It is a little tight even on that bike with the stock seat.

I also put a foot down to turn in anything soft because I learned to ride on a track in deep sand and loam. Now that I ride rocks I don't always ride that way since that can be painful. But I still prefer pivoting on my foot in loam to feet up on hard pack. It is more fun to me. That is why I wear still MX boots rather than adventure boots. Different strokes.

This what an XL sized guy looks like on an E:

The sleazy plastic skidplate was toast by the end of that day.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 01:11 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #22
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

The 640E is looking like a good choice at this point.

Surprised no one with an XR650R said go for it.

And yes I only use pivot leg in loose stuff when necessary...not every turn.....we are on the same page Grreatdog
Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
I'm 6'6" and love my XR650R. It has great power and with a change in bars and triple clamp, it fits me well. You do have to kick start it, but it is right about 300lbs street legal. It is easy to maintain and very reliable. I still need to tweek the suspension, but that goes for every bike. It is also quite smooth for a big single.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #24
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

There we go...I was just waiting for someone to speak up. I have had kick only bikes...do worry about climbs and have kick only....not light to hold onto and kick like a 2 smoke.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,024
Well I'll chime in with the usual KTM 690 enduro suggestion. May not be a fit for you because it is expensive, parts can be expensive, and may not be reliable enough for your needs. You would need a bigger tank for extended range. Good things are the bike is tall, fairly light for a big single, makes a lot of power, and feels very nimble for a 650. I have had my 2009 690 going on four years now and love it. I really like that it can handle highway OK and still be so good in the dirt.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #26
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

The mighty XRR was only scratched off my list by the ortho surgeon. If I could still ride a kick only bike my XL600R might have been replaced by that instead of the 640E. But I am two ankle surgeries past my kickstarting days plus around here a plated XRR is vaporware. I have seen a couple. But they aren't easy to find and get top dollar even for beaters. Funny the guy I bought my E from also had a plated XRR. He later sold it for a Berg FE390. The last time I talked to him he was still having a sordid love affair with that Berg.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Where I am located in Arizona I can put a license plate on anything....2 stroke, 4 wheeler, freakin boat with wheels if I wanted to.

As far as cost. I don't want to buy new, but as I said I had a 2011 Husqvarna TXC511 that I traded for a 2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098. I don't want to spend money to spend money but if I find the right bike and it is a good fair price I will consider it. What I am saying is that I am not limiting my search based on cost. More than anything I am basing it on reliability, durability, ability to ride longer distances both on and off road and ease of maintenance. I don't mind buying something more affordable and spending money on suspension and necessary modifications and add-ons
Old 05-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #28
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,742
I'd really like to grab the Beta 520 while it still has a carb, not in the budget this year anyways, hopefully the '14 or '15 will still have the FCR.

Out of all the big thumpers that I've owned the XR650R has held up the best. After nearly breaking my right ankle at a punk show I'm thinking that kick only big bores are out in my future, if I hurt my ankle out on the trail all alone like I travel I'd be seriously screwed.

KLR couldn't keep up mechanically, I can ride it anywhere I want, but it couldn't handle it.

TE610 couldn't take the punishment either.

I've ridden 625/640 KTM's and that's enough for me...they suck. Who sells a bike that vibrates like that?

Nothing really exists for me either.

Husaberg doesn't exist anymore anyways, nor does Husky.

If I had the cash and wanted to do a long dirt trip right now I'd buy a new Beta.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #29
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,576
You want a 640 Adventure.

I absolutely love mine, and will never sell it.

I am 6'6" tall, 275# and it fits me fine with a taller Renazco seat, fastway pegs, and a set of bar risers.

Bike does not mind be ridden at times like a "tractor", yet will still get up and run when needed. Tank and fairing make it great for on the road...blocks the wind, and you can tuck in behind it when riding in the cold/rain.

Add a set of racks, and it will carry a ton of gear.

It will happily run along at freeway speeds.

Did I mention? You want a 640 Adventure!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #30
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
..... Who sells a bike that vibrates like that?
Exhibit "A" to my first post about buying a 640.

You gotta ride one before you buy one. The guy I bought my 640 from said it made his nutz go numb from the vibration. But, to me, it isn't even noticeable (except when it is walking across the garage floor on the centerstand). The last time I let a couple of friends ride it one didn't notice the vibration and the other did.