Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #31
mgib
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I have a 640A and a 690e. Used the 640a for a CDT trip a couple of years ago and it was a really easy ride. After the CDT ride, I traded my 990a for the 690e. The 640 stays in AZ and I use the 690e up in the Northwest. Great suspensions for my weight(160). Plush or stiff as needed. I stand 20-30% of the time and definitely need risers or a different bend on the bars. I'm 6' with a 35.5 arm length. Both seats are changed out.

Both bikes totally reliable. That said, one of my buddies on the CDT trip had a 640a that stranded us at 11,000 ft with the frayed ignition wiring that some of the KTMs are noted for. He still bought a 350 and a 690 KTM.
mgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Exhibit "A" to my first post about buying a 640.

You gotta ride one before you buy one. The guy I bought my 640 from said it made his nutz go numb from the vibration. But, to me, it isn't even noticeable (except when it is walking across the garage floor on the centerstand). The last time I let a couple of friends ride it one didn't notice the vibration and the other did.

Totally possible that I just don't like the LC4? Do they have a balancer gear that gets out of time like the 610 or something?

I've ridden a 990 that shook like a D6 dozer on pavement and a 950SE that was butter smooth.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #33
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 797
Agreed I need to ride one...but finding one to test out is going to be the trick I suppose.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #34
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
I know everybody thinks their bike is the "right" one. But I did a lot of thinking before I bought my 640E. I wanted something reliable but with dirt ready suspension and enough motor to keep me entertained. I had no idea what to get next. I just knew I was sick of detuned motors and junk suspension.

Then a friend put me on his 640E and let me do a few miles of rock infested mountain trail and road. It did everything I wanted the bike to do. So I badgered the guy about reliability and he convinced me the KTM horror stories were mostly BS regarding the LC4. Problem solved. Five abusive years later nothing has broken. Nothing.

So far my 640E has been hands down the most reliable bike in 35 years of owning and riding nothing but dual sports. I haven't even had to adjust the valves yet. This thing has been ridden flat out for hundreds of miles like a cross country racer, been smashed and beaten in rocks like an enduro and commuted like a street bike in between.

My standard caveate any time I say this though: ride one first. I don't notice the vibration. It isn't even a minor annnoyance to me. But the guy I bought it from hated the vibration. It is an individual thing. Anyway, my 640E is the most comfortable (Renazco seat - KTM seats suck is the other caveate), most reliable and most versatile bike I have owned.

I actually added the MXC to my stable because I want to keep the 640E for a while and needed to stop thrashing it (and crashing it) on goat trails.

Ive only had my lc4e for 2,500 miles, and it has been the best bike ever for me all around. I've had better dirt bikes, and road bikes, all around this bike is solid and plenty o power. Good luck finding one? I had to drive 6 hrs one way to get mine. I studied the bike on here mainly for a year or so before I bought it. I originally wanted a DR. My friend has one. I am glad I didn't get the DR. All though my friends DR is modded to the max and is as fast as my bike on a straight a way on pavement. Also the lc4e is taller than the DR.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #35
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 995
I have heard that the 690 enduros vibrate less than the 640s. Never ridden a 640 but my 690 seems pretty smooth overall.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #36
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Ya maybe I shoulda made that clear also. That the 640 is real nice for a fairly cheap bike. Paid 2500 for mine. I cant find a 690 or newer 500 for under 8 grand around me. I drool on 690's and 500's.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #37
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Totally possible that I just don't like the LC4? Do they have a balancer gear that gets out of time like the 610 or something?

I've ridden a 990 that shook like a D6 dozer on pavement and a 950SE that was butter smooth.
My point wasn't that there is anything wrong with your reaction or with the bike. You were just the first one to happen along with the hate reaction. 640's are very polarizing. People either hate them or love them based almost entirely on how the motor feels.

The guy I bought mine from is a good rider and a fairly serious offroad guy. But the vibration bothered him - a lot. Yet I don't even notice it. That is the way it always is when people ride one. It either drives you nuts or you don't notice. There never seems to be a middle reaction.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #38
mgib
Gnarly Adventurer

Having ridden totally smooth fast road bikes most recently, these really didn't bother me. That said, the PO had put some slightly cushy grips on the 640 and with the comfort seat and some gel shorts, no issues for me. I've done a 6 hr slab run without too much complaint. Not near as smooth as the carbon-fibered/Ti exhausted 1200KS however.

Personally, the 690 is in the same ballpark as far as vibes go. Both manageable.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #39
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Thumb

Quote:
My point wasn't that there is anything wrong with your reaction or with the bike. You were just the first one to happen along with the hate reaction. 640's are very polarizing. People either hate them or love them based almost entirely on how the motor feels.

The guy I bought mine from is a good rider and a fairly serious offroad guy. But the vibration bothered him - a lot. Yet I don't even notice it. That is the way it always is when people ride one. It either drives you nuts or you don't notice. There never seems to be a middle reaction.

Right, right...just one of those bikes a person should ride before buying.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #40
mgib
Gnarly Adventurer

As a price point, yesterday one of my other CDT buddies just paid 8K for a 2010 690e with 900 miles and we ran them up the Skykomish river to the Olympic National Forest.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #41
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 797
Ok....does anyone in AZ want to let me test ride their bike.

I can give references......just need to ride for a bit.

I have rode XR650R and know that I am fine with them....just have had magic button for so long don't know if I want to give it up.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,043
Between the LC4E and the 690R, and putting 'bulletproofness' high on the list I'd go with the older LC4. It has a wider spread with the tranny despite only having 5 speeds. Reliability isn't in the same ball park; factory KTM 690 riders don't use their FI system for a reason.

Loneriders thoughts on the FE570 are interesting...I'm hearing more and more stories of 70 deg motors being more reliable than they were intended to be. If it passed the bullet proof test, you are worlds ahead in the suspension department! Wonder how having a rekluse would help the "tractorability" department...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #43
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
There we go...I was just waiting for someone to speak up. I have had kick only bikes...do worry about climbs and have kick only....not light to hold onto and kick like a 2 smoke.
The Rekluse auto clutch helps avoid stalling and effectively "widens" the ratios on the 5sp gearbox. Because it allows you to run higher speed sprockets while still allowing a seemingly low enough 1st gear for trails. Mine is the most consistent starting bike I've owned and is really easy to kick over once you learn the procedure. Plus the XR650R is 40lbs lighter than the LC4!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #44
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
Been there done that doohickey, have the tshirt....was not for me....was great bike, yes it is bulletproof, and yes you can tractor it around all day, but I feel that the DR offroad is much better...but that is my opinion. I

Thank you for putting your input in though...I do appreciate it very much. These are all the things that make me think about what I want and what I don't want.
I put a Seat Concepts tall seat on my DR,its pretty dang tall. Lots of room between me and the ground.

But if you've had 3 DR's then maybe that's it for those.

I agree the KLR is a wallow hog even compared to a DR which is not exactly light on it's feet.

Like me you may need 4 bikes to cycle through to keep you happy,if boredom of any sort sets in I only have to hop on the 530 for a day and boredom is forgotten quickly,that bike never ceases to amaze me at what it will do . A 690 might be fun though.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #45
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
The Rekluse auto clutch helps avoid stalling and effectively "widens" the ratios on the 5sp gearbox. Because it allows you to run higher speed sprockets while still allowing a seemingly low enough 1st gear for trails. Mine is the most consistent starting bike I've owned and is really easy to kick over once you learn the procedure. Plus the XR650R is 40lbs lighter than the LC4!
Last I checked a XR650R was 288 dry,with out any street legal bits and protective parts,or bigger tank.
I know Honda claims lighter,they always do.

Kicking one on a hot day on the side of a steep hill with a hot carb and engine is fun to watch,but Im done with that sort of thing.