Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #61
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 794
Just worried that the XRL might feel anemic at altitude, and from my understanding which is limited of the XRL, the suspension has a lot to be desired.

Once again I am completely open to thoughts and opinions but the XRL from my understanding is not known for its off road prowess. Maybe I am wrong???? Please inform me if I am.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #62
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
So to reiterate, I need something that is geared and streetable enough to go shorter long distances (does that make sense) of like 50 miles without damaging the bike, be able to carry enough fuel for at least 150 miles, be able to carry tools, tubes, and necessary stuff, and be tall enough for my long ass legs.

one person liking the Beta....and no goes on Huskys (which I still love so maybe back to that for single track).

Anything I am missing?? Any other KTMs that I should look at?
TE610, TE310, Beta 450 or 520, TE510 or whatever they call it right now might work. Me myself would stay away from Husky until this KTM owner thing shakes out. MotoXotica has a bunch of those in stock or variations of those models, check 'em out if you're local....worth a drive if you're not...oh you're in AZ, nevermind the drive thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
If you trip over a 610-630 Husky it seems like they would be worth a look. Thing is, I have never even seen one in the flesh. So I have zero real world experience with them. But those were on my radar when I bought the 640E. But, like I said, I have never seen one or seen one advertised around here. If Husky sold many of them it wasn't in Maryland. The only Husky of any kind I have even seen in the last five years was at the DC motorcycle show.

I rode the hell out of a 610, it was my long dirt trip bike for about two years...completely worn out at 20,000 miles, might have lasted longer if I had used it as a close to home street legal dirt bike.

330 pounds ready to ride with 5 gallons of fuel, about the same HP as a KLR...36 HP at the wheel.

Beta is next for me in this class of bike, I'm anti-orange, but a 530 would probably be a fine bike too.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #63
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,298
Quote:
Just worried that the XRL might feel anemic at altitude, and from my understanding which is limited of the XRL, the suspension has a lot to be desired.

Once again I am completely open to thoughts and opinions but the XRL from my understanding is not known for its off road prowess. Maybe I am wrong???? Please inform me if I am.
XRL has better longer suspension then a DR/KLR but the engine/bike is from the early 90's if not late 80's,they get hot and the valves dont like it,then they vibrate and buzz pretty good going down the road. Air cooled only so heat happens.
Subframes dont take well to a full load on long trips,I guess they dont have a subframe,just a skinny steel frame sticking out the back.

People do all sorts of mods to them combining XR with XRL,mainly cause the L has the button. Once a Honda guy always a Honda guy it seems,I dont use Hondas due to superstition mainly.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #64
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

I am not a brand specific guy at all. They all have their pros and cons.

Seems to me that if Honda would take a XRR, XRL and CFRX and put in a blender you would come up with the bike I wanted maybe.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #65
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,154
You don't have to be at altitude for an XRL to feel anemic. I didn't have any complaints about the suspension. You won't mistake it for a KTM. But it is as good or better than anything else you get with a plate from Japan. Granted that is pretty low bar. But it worked OK on the rocky roads we were riding.

I am unimpressed with the motor though. I swapped bikes with a friend a few months back. He is constantly bitching about how weak his XRL motor is and wanted to try mine. Now I know why he is always bitching about power. It gets the job done. Especially on the highway. Plus it hooks up well in loose crap off-road.

But the reason it hooks up well is that it doesn't have the explosive power of a big bore Euro bike. Entertaining it was not. It didn't feel nearly as powerful as my old XL600R.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #66
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

And thus back to the 640E!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #67
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
2001 Xr650R / 2013 Beta 520

I own both of these bikes. Its hard to beat the Big Red Pig for low end grunt climbing those steep hills and the top end for the 100+ power lines road and smooth washes. I'm 250 plus and have the upgraded suspension for my weight and it was great. A lot of my friends got tired of going super fast in the open desert and started do to more of the gnarly single track. So I converted the BRP to a street legal dual sport and purchased the new Beta.

I did the BYOB with all the farkles installed instead of me buying it one piece at a time. I'm glad I did. The Beta is a fantastic bike that handles like no other I've ridden before. It takes on the sandy washes , ruts, and rocky single tracks. It has great speed, shifts so smooth it makes you wonder why all bikes cannot be that way. Electric start, need I say more on that? The Beta is a great change up from the BRP.

The only thing I miss is the sound of the XR and the sensation of floating over the sand at a 100+. If you can get pass that try the Beta.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #68
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
I am not a brand specific guy at all. They all have their pros and cons.

Seems to me that if Honda would take a XRR, XRL and CFRX and put in a blender you would come up with the bike I wanted maybe.
That... that right there!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #69
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I'm sort of surprised I haven't seen the 525 EXC mentioned. If you are only talking 40-50 miles of pavement, then real dirt, it seems to me that it would be in the running- especially if you have another bike that is for longer road trips.

I only offer it up because i went through a similar progression (XRR, DRZ, WRR), and have been more pleased with the KTM than the others. With a good seat and some reasonably balanced wheels, 50 miles of pavement is not a big deal.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #70
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

No...I think that the 525 is in the running except every 525 I run into the owner thinks it made of gold and it is 100% stock. I found a nice one that was completely stock...nothing extra lower hours for $3800 and it was a 2003 model. On the other hand I have seen them with suspension work, stabilizer, Cycras and some sort of luggage for $3200, but it was not close. I just worry about the age of an RFS motor and not knowing how it has been taken care of. I mean a DRZ/DR650/KLR these bikes can be run on an ounce of oil to Brazil and back and not cause a bit of problems (obviously I am being silly) but the RFS motor takes a bit more care and I would like to know the history of the bike.

I found a 530XC-W locally. Texted the guy and said how many hours on the motor....he answered "I have no idea"
Really??? What incentive do I have to buy this bike or even go look at it. This is what I have been running into right now. A rash of non caring owners that want premium price for something they know nothing about. Craziness!!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #71
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,298
Quote:
No...I think that the 525 is in the running except every 525 I run into the owner thinks it made of gold and it is 100% stock. I found a nice one that was completely stock...nothing extra lower hours for $3800 and it was a 2003 model. On the other hand I have seen them with suspension work, stabilizer, Cycras and some sort of luggage for $3200, but it was not close. I just worry about the age of an RFS motor and not knowing how it has been taken care of. I mean a DRZ/DR650/KLR these bikes can be run on an ounce of oil to Brazil and back and not cause a bit of problems (obviously I am being silly) but the RFS motor takes a bit more care and I would like to know the history of the bike.

I found a 530XC-W locally. Texted the guy and said how many hours on the motor....he answered "I have no idea"
Really??? What incentive do I have to buy this bike or even go look at it. This is what I have been running into right now. A rash of non caring owners that want premium price for something they know nothing about. Craziness!!!!
Seems like a lot of high perf new design 4 strokes for sale used tend to say things like "low low hours" "only ridden to the store and back twice" "oil changed every 10 minutes" "never started"

They know guys are scared of used 4 strokes ready to scatter,but yet they need to get some money out of it.

It is kind of a crap shoot. I ponied up for a 2011 530 with 25 hours on it,nary a scratch or scuff,it ran and shifted better after I actually took it out and ran it hard. It wasnt cheap but came with good extras and has been much like owning a new bike.

An older cheap 1 could get expensive in a heartbeat. + The 08 and up are lighter,steer sharper,have quite a bit better suspension stock and the valves can last a really long time with out the standard replacement valves the RFS engines need at some point.
2011 would be the best of that model run,then the FI jobbers take it from there,I dont mind the carb a bit in some of the BFE places this bike goes to.

Older ones are good no doubt,newer models are better.
RFS's can be dialed in and run forever though.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #72
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Crazy thought on the KTM 525 vs the 690.

I think most people THINK the 690 is highly reliable, low maintenance dual sport and the 525 a high reving race engine ready to grenade. It's true they were designed that way but when it comes to reliability the 690 falls so far short of what it was suppossed to be where the 525 far exceeds it.

It'd take a while to make the case but I'd submit there's a good chance in adding an HT oil cooler, cush hub to a 525 it will outlast the 690. And the 525 is smoother, (WAY smoother than the old LC4). The engine on the 690 might last longer, but the FI will probably go out 10X before that happens and be twice as much to fix as the 525's engine and 100X more complicated.
Since you like modding you could come up with a tougher Chromoly sub frame, lower pegs...
Old 05-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #73
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Seems like a lot of high perf new design 4 strokes for sale used tend to say things like "low low hours" "only ridden to the store and back twice" "oil changed every 10 minutes" "never started"
I saw that add on Craigslist... and on Mudah... and bike trader too!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #74
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

It's very interesting, I am getting PMs about this thread as well. And there is such a variance among the KTM folk it is nearly worse that sorting through all the different bikes.

I had someone write me and say their LC4 sucked, their 450 RFS would run circles around the LC4 on dirt and road and their new 690 is the best thing since sliced bread and way better than the LC4 and the RFS.

At this point I don't have a freakin clue. I don't have a bunch of KTMs locally that I can go try out.

I mean I am really starting to like the idea of a 530, but there is a big long thread in the FleaMarket of a guy that has been trying to sell his 530 since December....it is a riot to read. But it seems the 530s are hard to find.

In the end....I am back to the beginning!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #75
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,154
The thing to remember about orange bikes is that, generally speaking, these aren't the same people buying Japanese dual sports. Riders that want a sedate, low maintenance pack mule for exploring trails don't usually buy a KTM. No, the orange bikes tend to go to racers, racer wannabes, trail fanatics and various flavors of hair on fire maniacs. So what do you think that means for the condition of many if not most used KTM's?

BTW, any EXC or XC-W absolutely will run circles around an LC4 in the dirt. It can't say I agree for street mostly because they are too compact for long range comfort for me. I can promise you that my E is too long and too heavy for a goat trail that an EXC can easily scamper through. All I ever said is 640's and 690's are better off road than Japanese dual sports. But I don't want to do long freeway drones on an EXC any more than goat trails on my 640.

For me the 640 is the better compromise because I want a comfortable bike on the street with decent dirt manners. I still like street riding where a big bike fits my XL sized frame better. But you can see I also have a plated enduro in the garage. If I had to go down to one bike it might be a big bore EXC because I like going fast in the dirt. But it would need bar risers, lower pegs and, like all KTM's, a decent seat to be my only bike.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 05:22 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote