Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #76
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
It's very interesting, I am getting PMs about this thread as well. And there is such a variance among the KTM folk it is nearly worse that sorting through all the different bikes.

I had someone write me and say their LC4 sucked, their 450 RFS would run circles around the LC4 on dirt and road and their new 690 is the best thing since sliced bread and way better than the LC4 and the RFS.

At this point I don't have a freakin clue. I don't have a bunch of KTMs locally that I can go try out.

I mean I am really starting to like the idea of a 530, but there is a big long thread in the FleaMarket of a guy that has been trying to sell his 530 since December....it is a riot to read. But it seems the 530s are hard to find.

In the end....I am back to the beginning!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
That must be the inmate that wants 10,000 for his used 530,or maybe doesnt want to sell it at all,and advertises it elsewhere cheaper as well.
I think he just wants attention.

It doesnt matter how many pretty farkles are put on a bike,still isnt worth 10 grand used and used isnt new.

530's are around but a properly priced one sells real quick,there are many threads about fixing the new 500 FI,and the filters and spare injectors needed,and the re-mapping or replacing of 400.00 ECU's,stock the FI model is a mild running bike.

A jet kit and FMF Q muffler on a 530 and it's a fast snorting bike,like I like!
And yeah a 530 cruises OK on the road,it seems like a waste of the bike's talents to me though.
70mph cruise with 14/50 gearing is easy and smooth and it will go to 100 pretty quick. Its a dirtbike to me, that just happens to have a plate. 3rd gear wheelies at 60mph are well within reach,could be an expensive habit on pavemento.

A 690 might be fun as well though.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 09:19 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #77
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I can promise you that my E is too long and too heavy for a goat trail that an EXC can easily scamper through.

I've looked at the numbers, yeah your E is too heavy, but the too long thing doesn't hold water...they're all within an inch or so in wheelbase...KLR,TE, any KTM, CR500, XR650R, CRF450/250, Beta, Husa...every single one is between 58 and 59.5 inches or so in wheelbase.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #78
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 823
I am not trying to make this my single track bike. I am going to get something small and light for single track.

The bike I am looking for should be able to handle anything a DRZ or DR650 can handle, I am sure there will always be spots where I am like...."I should not be doing this...but here we go!!!!"

So what I have on the short list is KTM LC4 bike, 530 or 525, XR650R (don't know if I can go without the button), I am considering Beta, Husaberg and Husky....but those are bikes on my short list for a woods/single track bike.

Are there any glaring mistakes?? I am going to do my best to find a couple and just ride them around and see how I feel on them.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #79
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I've looked at the numbers, yeah your E is too heavy, but the too long thing doesn't hold water...they're all within an inch or so in wheelbase...KLR,TE, any KTM, CR500, XR650R, CRF450/250, Beta, Husa...every single one is between 58 and 59.5 inches or so in wheelbase.
I, on the other hand, have not looked at the specs but have actually ridden one back to back with KTM enduros. Not hard since I own both. The steering lock on an 18l tank LC4E is maybe 2/3's of my MXC. I got on a very steep switchback AA enduro trail and it was a nightmare. We had to drag the front and back ends of my LC4 around switchbacks that the enduros could negotiate. But, if it makes you feel better, we can say it rides much longer.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #80
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

I had someone tell me they did not quite understand my thread and what I was looking for in a bike so I wrote a few additions.

I understand how my thread could have been confusing.

My ride last Sunday explains what I am looking for. Started in Flagstaff at my house and rode slab approximately 50 miles to get to the beginning of the offroad. The offroad consisted of hardpack dirt, gravel, rocks, up hills, woods stuff but not too tight. Most everything was very old roads if they can be called that and then finished up with some single track that you could almost fit a 4 wheeler in but still single track. Few very tight spots. Ending with another 50 or so mile slab ride home.

I was able to do it with ease on the DR650 and my riding partner had a DRZ. So I am fairly confident that any of the bikes listed will do the rides I am looking to do.

I have a BMW 1150GS Adventure....that will eat slab. I will eventually get another single track bike...450 or something like that for the stuff here in Flagstaff. But I am looking for a good tween bike. I need to be able to carry tools, tires, enough fuel to make it. These are only day trip rides but they are full days.

So hopefully that gives more insight.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #81
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,364
As some have said, TE610 is an upgrade from the DR in every way...and fits that role quite well.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #82
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
But I am looking for a good tween bike. I need to be able to carry tools, tires, enough fuel to make it. These are only day trip rides but they are full days.
my "legal d/s" progression was xr250 - xt550 - dr650 - dr350 - wr250r - RFS 450exc

and i'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. 50 miles is no big deal, the big difference is maintenance. are you willing to do more maintenance for the performance? nothing about it is hard, it's just a pain sometimes.

in my mind, the RFS is the small block chevy of the dirt world. you can build it up exactly the way you want, and it's really not that expensive. you want a revver? a torque-er-er? billet oil cooler? 2 gallon tank for dirt? 4 gallon for 'splorin? 6 gallon for camping? yes, you have to work on it, but any bike you bash on rocks you'll have to work on.

i sold my wr250r and ktm 200xc-w, and built up an RFS with 2 wheelsets (with different gearing, dirt wheels and d/s wheels) 2 different tanks (3 gal and 4.2 gal) and ride dirt, day trips, and weeklong camping trips. get 50+ mpg if not on the pumper, light fun and fast.

and when the valves recede, i will refresh the motor, and ride it more. hth

buddy with a 525

other friend with a dr650

my friend with the dr is also having the same problems as you, big guy and he can't get the "standing" comfortable with the dr. it's just weird geometry or something

also, for confusion: i LOVED my wr250r for dayrides, and camping trips. if you're not afraid to rev it, it'll do it. don't automatically discount it because it's a 250, i liked it way more than my dr650, everywhere.

clapped_r6 screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 11:57 AM
clapped_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #83
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,617
I have an '05 KTM 400exc with a Baja lighting kit JD jet kit.

Great bike.

I also have a DR650 with suspension work. Both nice bikes.

The RFS motors are very reliable and just require that you change the oil more often. I have 20,000 on my DR 11,000 I rode it and I have 8000 on my KTM 6,000 I rode it. (KTM still on stock engine nothing replaced and going strong) Both bikes are enjoyable and one is better on Tar and the other is WAY better in the woods.

If I could only have one bike, I would get rid of both and replace them with a KTM 2007 KTM 525exc. Comes completely street legal and it would probably get down the pavement at lower revs and therefore last longer. (not that my 400 needs anythig at 8.000 mile)

If I couldn't find a nice 525RFS engined KTM, that Beta 520 sounds like the next best thing.

+

=

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #84
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Well I have decided for the most part I am going to go with KTM, unless I find a good deal on a Husky 610 since I am comfortable with the Husky. As far as the KTM goes though I am still on the fence with the LC4 625/640 and the 525 or 530. Just trying to find some so I can ride it and see how it feels.

I don't have a problem with the Beta bikes other than they are not easy to come across.

I certainly don't have a problem maintaining my bikes. More frequent service does not scare me at all.

Still an ongoing process. I think with what I have narrowed it down to I won't go wrong with what is on my short list.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #85
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Well I have decided for the most part I am going to go with KTM, unless I find a good deal on a Husky 610 since I am comfortable with the Husky. As far as the KTM goes though I am still on the fence with the LC4 625/640 and the 525 or 530. Just trying to find some so I can ride it and see how it feels.

I don't have a problem with the Beta bikes other than they are not easy to come across.

I certainly don't have a problem maintaining my bikes. More frequent service does not scare me at all.

Still an ongoing process. I think with what I have narrowed it down to I won't go wrong with what is on my short list.
I did have an Lc4 620,it was a plated dirt model. They dont turn sharp enough to go down any singletrack that I would ride on. And the dirt 620 was lighter then any fully legal 640.
Still a heavy feeling bike and big for any narrow trail,but flew on the faster stuff.

My 530 can do any singletrack and still cruise roads if necessary,it isnt really related to any Lc4 in terms of dirtability.

I also rode an 06 EXC400 that the dealer got plated for me,it just didnt have the ooomph and fun play power that I like in 4 stroke dirtbikes.
Yet it weighed the same as a 525. OK bike but not for me.

I still much prefer my 200XCW on singletrack,Im a 2 stroke guy from way back,light is right and lighter is righter.
I can hound 450's on that 200 till they run into a tree or off into a ravine.
Part of the fun.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #86
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I have an '05 KTM 400exc with a Baja lighting kit JD jet kit.

Great bike.

I also have a DR650 with suspension work. Both nice bikes.

The RFS motors are very reliable and just require that you change the oil more often. I have 20,000 on my DR 11,000 I rode it and I have 8000 on my KTM 6,000 I rode it. (KTM still on stock engine nothing replaced and going strong) Both bikes are enjoyable and one is better on Tar and the other is WAY better in the woods.

If I could only have one bike, I would get rid of both and replace them with a KTM 2007 KTM 525exc. Comes completely street legal and it would probably get down the pavement at lower revs and therefore last longer. (not that my 400 needs anythig at 8.000 mile)

If I couldn't find a nice 525RFS engined KTM, that Beta 520 sounds like the next best thing.

+

=

You might try a late model 530 with plate,I know the RFS engines are good but the 530's have proven to last also,frames turn a little sharper,little lighter,valves are going 300 hours sometimes with out even an adj.
The suspension on my all stock 2011 530 is the best Ive ever tried,by a ways. Smooth engine that just keeps pulling.

I had mine out in the desert recently and had an absolute blast on the thing,couldnt wait to get up in the morning and ride it.
Then its good on local singletrack as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #87
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

I will have a separate single track bike...so I am not concerned about that as much for this bike.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #88
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

I have posted a WTB in Flea Market.

I am thinking maybe 525/530.....510/610 maybe can do double duty for me. Have 2 wheel sets, big tank and small tank. I don't know...what do you guys think. Then rather than buying 2 bikes I can swap up everything on the bike and go back and forth between off road and single track. I know the Huksy 610 might be a wee bit piggy for that but I am pretty sure that the 510 would be good. And I know the 525/530 can do longer jaunts on the slab.

So if you know anything in the relative vicinity of Flagstaff....I am thinking 500 mile radius or meeting somewhere within that radius would work.

FYI the DR650 is sold....new owner is happy as a pig in .....well you know

Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #89
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Maybe I am overly ambitious, but I thought I would have a couple of interesting bikes lined up, but right now...nadda!

CL, eBay, Cycletrader.....there are bikes, but people think they have a bike made of gold or too far away.....well farther than I would like to go right now.

And the search continues.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #90
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The thing to remember about orange bikes is that, generally speaking, these aren't the same people buying Japanese dual sports. Riders that want a sedate, low maintenance pack mule for exploring trails don't usually buy a KTM. No, the orange bikes tend to go to racers, racer wannabes, trail fanatics and various flavors of hair on fire maniacs. So what do you think that means for the condition of many if not most used KTM's?
Damn, I feel like I have been insulted.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote