Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #91
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdfblackm View Post
Maybe I am overly ambitious, but I thought I would have a couple of interesting bikes lined up, but right now...nadda!

CL, eBay, Cycletrader.....there are bikes, but people think they have a bike made of gold or too far away.....well farther than I would like to go right now.

And the search continues.
How about a 950SE or a compact v-twin 550 to 650?
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #92
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Oddometer: 814
I think that a 950SE will be out of what I want to spend on this bike.

If you are referring to a WeeStrom....I don't think that the suspension will handle the riding I am going to be doing with this bike, let me rephrase that.....I don't think that my skillset will allow me to ride a Wee in the places that I am riding with this bike.

What are you thinking exactly????
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #93
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

If you are referring to a WeeStrom....I don't think that the suspension will handle the riding I am going to be doing with this bike, let me rephrase that.....I don't think that my skillset will allow me to ride a Wee in the places that I am riding with this bike.

Something akin to Aprilia RXV550. KTM EXC'S are not enjoyyable beyond 20 miles or so despite what others say. I think you need more motor for that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #94
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

I like the Aprilia....I mean I know about the green vs black seal if that tells you how close I was to getting one. The only fear I have with them....they are hard to come by, not much aftermarket support for those particular bikes, and I heard...don't know for a fact....that parts are hard to get when you need them.

This is all second hand knowledge but I do like them. I mean heck I even like GasGas bikes.

To me its a numbers game. I am most likely to find a KTM or XRR for the money that I am looking to pay in the time frame I am working with.

Unless you have one you are looking to sell??
Old 06-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #95
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,506
Didn't read the entire thread so this might be a repeat, but here goes anyway.

I was looking for the perfect bike 4 or so years ago. Had a few bikes and my dual sport was a KLR. I just couldn't get past the vibration when riding at hwy speeds. Finally settled on a BMW 650 Dakar and have not looked back. It has been a great bike for the riding I've done. Hwy, small backroads, dirt roads, double track, and even some single track. It has been bulletproof and handled all I've thrown at it. With the fuel cell under the seat the center of gravity is low and the bike feels lighter than it is.

Mine is for sale now (b/c I never get to ride anymore) but I'm 1000 miles away from you. I'm sure you could find one close by if it interests you.

Good luck with your search.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #96
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
Something akin to Aprilia RXV550. KTM EXC'S are not enjoyyable beyond 20 miles or so despite what others say. I think you need more motor for that.

The Aprilia 550 engine is not known for longevity,like 50 hours on the engine can be it.
That's why you dont see any of them around.

"Despite what others say" KTM EXCR's can go 100's of miles a day in good comfort,it's only a matter of setting the bike up for what you want.
Like any bike made.

More motor? A 530 or 500 EXCR has enough motor to go from 70 to 100mph very quickly,and cruise easily at 70 all day if needed.
They dont lack for HP.

You may well want to ride some of these bikes your making pronouncements about.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #97
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
I have posted a WTB in Flea Market.

I am thinking maybe 525/530.....510/610 maybe can do double duty for me. Have 2 wheel sets, big tank and small tank. I don't know...what do you guys think. Then rather than buying 2 bikes I can swap up everything on the bike and go back and forth between off road and single track. I know the Huksy 610 might be a wee bit piggy for that but I am pretty sure that the 510 would be good. And I know the 525/530 can do longer jaunts on the slab.

So if you know anything in the relative vicinity of Flagstaff....I am thinking 500 mile radius or meeting somewhere within that radius would work.

FYI the DR650 is sold....new owner is happy as a pig in .....well you know

Just FYI, the Husky TE510 and TE610 are completely different bikes...510 is a race bike with plates (close ratio gear box, no counterbalancer), while the 610 is a 50/50 dualsport with a nice wide ratio gearbox and fairly smooth (counterbalanced) engine (it still thumps...you can only make 576cc of 11+:1 compression ratio so smooth...).
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #98
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The Aprilia 550 engine is not known for longevity,like 50 hours on the engine can be it.
That's why you dont see any of them around.

"Despite what others say" KTM EXCR's can go 100's of miles a day in good comfort,it's only a matter of setting the bike up for what you want.
Like any bike made.

More motor? A 530 or 500 EXCR has enough motor to go from 70 to 100mph very quickly,and cruise easily at 70 all day if needed.
They dont lack for HP.

You may well want to ride some of these bikes your making pronouncements about.
I do ride a 530 since 2009, at freeway speeds and trails, multiple days of up to 250 miles per day. Love the bike. I don't think it's right for the OP, taking in what he says. Had a dr650 that i put 17k miles on in 3 years on freeway and trails, and have a R1100GS too but won't take it on trails.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #99
drdfblackm OP
VeeFeer

Talked to someone that is closer to me and what I have had in the past and how I ride. He told me to really consider an XRL, he owns a shop and said that adding an oil cooler and change the suspension and I might have what I am looking for. He said adding the oil cooler is an absolute must though, no ifs ands or buts.

Thoughts??
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #100
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,311
The bike I want MAY exist but I can't afford to buy it if it does.

Husaberg FE with both SM and off road tyres and wheels in a seat height I can easily ride (31in inseam) and plated.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #101
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
I was THIS close to buying the Aprilia because our dealer had a leftover on the floor for three years and was blowing out the price. What changed my mind was seeing the seat literally come unglued and fall apart on the showroom floor with zero miles. That and reading about the reliability here. And, speaking of the seat, I am not sure it would be good for getting around the block much less 20 miles. But that bike was some kind of sexy. That much is certain. I wanted it despite the lousy build quality and knowing full well it would drive me nuts.

As for the XRL, my buddy has been riding one in SC heat for years with no oil cooler. So I don't get that part. It has a great seat, reasonable suspension and one of the most gutless lumps of a motor I have ridden in the big bore class. All the weight of 650 with the top end rush of a WR250. What's not to love about that? Great for crawling through snot, smooth running on the highway, reliable to a fault and absolutely no fun at all for roosting two track and forest service roads. If I bought one I would be desmogging and hopping up the motor right off the bat.

That said, out of the Japanese 650's it is, to me, the best offroad bike. Lighten it up some with a decent battery and exhaust system, desmog and uncork the gutless lump and you are getting somewhere.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 05:00 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #102
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Patience. Took me 13 months and a 6 hour drive one way to find my dream bike. Was every bit worth the wait. Used bikes are usually so overpriced its annoying. Gotta be quick and alert to get the good bike for a good deal. It does happen. Oh Ya and luck helps. Good luck
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #103
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Talked to someone that is closer to me and what I have had in the past and how I ride. He told me to really consider an XRL, he owns a shop and said that adding an oil cooler and change the suspension and I might have what I am looking for. He said adding the oil cooler is an absolute must though, no ifs ands or buts.

Thoughts??
XRL........ a lotta weight in a tall cheaply built bike.
If you liked what Honda was building in the early 90's then a L might be just the thing. Ive seen a couple where the valve seats fell out of the head and destroyed the engine,heat problems. Then the subframes dont like a load and tend to crack apart.

Like any Japanese dualsport it just depends on how much money you want to spend trying to make it work.
Honda people are Honda people,they tend to be rabidly pro Honda no matter what the bike.

Ive gone through the " spend till you drop" thing trying to make a heavy japanese dualsport into something good,I finally came to the conclusion that I was spending more $ on that pursuit then just buying and maintaining a KTM530,and any amount can be spent on an econo boxer dualsport and it will never be as good as a stock 530,not even in the same league.

Some like the 300+lb 250's from Japan,never developed the taste for low power and heavy weight.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 06-04-2013 at 08:40 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #104
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
Patience. Took me 13 months and a 6 hour drive one way to find my dream bike. Was every bit worth the wait. Used bikes are usually so overpriced its annoying. Gotta be quick and alert to get the good bike for a good deal. It does happen. Oh Ya and luck helps. Good luck
You do have to jump quick when the right used bike pops up,sometimes hours in the truck are involved.
When its right its right.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #105
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:

Like most bikes you mention,Ive had one. The Wee Strom will most likely run forever,but I cant see a single part on the bike that says "off road" Its a street bike vaguely styled to look like an ADV bike,but a perfectly good bike to ride for 100,000 miles to anywhere.

A friend and I were both on Wee's heading into Baja,running late,in the dark we wandered onto a shortcut to get back to the main hiway.
Turned into a rocky rutted sandy sort of road,I was sure the front nosecone was going to snap right off the poor Wee,and this was at about 8 mph,the clanking/rattling/banging coming from the ft end was beyond distracting.

Said friend had an un-opened bottle of Wild Turkey break in his top box/bag.
All his clothes etc were soaked in WT as it was a waterproof bag,pretty bad smell coming from the bike when riding behind it.