Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #76
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,715
Im waiting for the GS to have factory surface to surface missiles with a HUD. THEN ill buy one new.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #77
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I think he was implying that most people who can afford a $25k brand new BMW tend to be responsible riders.
Fixt
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #78
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Well this incident is another reminder that, in traffic, if the guy next to you has mental health issues, or anger management problems, and you inadvertently get into his driving / riding space, as he perceives it, the result can be catastrophic.

And the risk is higher in areas where maneuvering space is limited.

I've had run ins with nut bars, as I'm sure many of us have, and I have been very lucky not to get hurt.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #79
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
I thought most motorcycles could take any car in a corner that doesn't have downforce helping it out. Most passenger cars are not designed to have extra downforce for more cornering ability.....
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #80
chasssmash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Personally I feel that the woman sitting beside the lunatic should be charged with obstruction of justice given that she is obviously covering for the insane douchebag. At the very least child services should take a very close look at this poor excuse for a mother.
chasssmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #81
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasssmash View Post
Personally I feel that the woman sitting beside the lunatic should be charged with obstruction of justice given that she is obviously covering for the insane douchebag. At the very least child services should take a very close look at this poor excuse for a mother.
I really feel for the kid.....he/she's just in the middle of all this.... and perhaps better off in another home that doesnt endanger children for fun out on the freeway?
Quote:
Old 05-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #82
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I really feel for the kid.....he/she's just in the middle of all this.... and perhaps better off in another home that doesnt endanger children for fun out on the freeway?
No way, they should throw the (picture) book at him - he's not talking, so is obviously part of the cover-up.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #83
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
No way, they should throw the (picture) book at him - he's not talking, so is obviously part of the cover-up.
he's been trained up eh.....thats bad
Quote:
Old 05-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #84
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
I'll play a little bit of Devil's advocate here and say that I don't really blame the woman for not talking to the press. "No comment" would have been vastly more appropriate than making up all those silly excuses, but were I in her position, I definitely wouldn't be shooting my mouth off to any reporters at that point.

"Accessory to Attempted Murder" is a very serious charge and saying the wrong thing to a reporter could result in such charges, or others. I certainly am not advocating lying to an officer or covering up for someone, which also would likely result in charges, but I wouldn't just start spewing my mouth off to some reporter who could very likely take my remarks out of context or any number of other things. She may be also under a very real danger of having Child Protective Services remove her child from her custody, (assuming the child is hers.)

Were it me, I would give a short and sparse, but accurate report to the responding officer, but would want to consult with an attorney before making a detailed statement and would want one present for questioning. I would never lie, but I certainly would not want to be tricked into giving up my right not to offer evidence that would incriminate myself.

Furthermore, while I don't know her relationship to the man in the car, we also have the right not to offer evidence that would incriminate our spouse. I am not saying that I might not, at some point in the process, decide it's the right thing to do (offer evidence that would incriminate myself or my spouse), I just would want to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing and what the legal implications would be before I decided to give up my fifth amendment rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasssmash View Post
The idea that dodging the questions of a reporter is an obstruction of justice is quite frankly, just silly. We have no idea what she said to the officers or for that matter what really even happened.
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #85
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I thought most motorcycles could take any car in a corner that doesn't have downforce helping it out. Most passenger cars are not designed to have extra downforce for more cornering ability.....

Nope, google the article where a Honda Fit Sport beats down a Ducati Hypertard.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #86
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

As usual, it really comes down to operator skill -- but four contact patches is always better than two when you need grip. Doesn't take too much in the way of suspension mods for a fairly sedate car to suddenly be able to corner faster than a motorcycle -- and if you have no straights to make up the difference, well...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #87
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
But motorcycle tires are usually far stickier than a car tire and have much higher friction with the road surface. I just can't believe a stock car will outcorner a stock GS unless the car is an s2000 or a vette for example(which also should come with stickier tires)
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #88
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Im waiting for the GS to have factory surface to surface missiles with a HUD. THEN ill buy one new.
Hope the missiles don't have any final drive issues...

dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #89
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I'm curious as to what instigated the incident.

Did the rider do something questionable? Was it the riders reaction to the driver doing something questionable? Was the rider simply obeying the law and riding his own ride?

What motivated the driver to hit them?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #90
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
I'll play a little bit of Devil's advocate here and say that I don't really blame the woman for not talking to the press. "No comment" would have been vastly more appropriate than making up all those silly excuses, but were I in her position, I definitely wouldn't be shooting my mouth off to any reporters at that point.

"Accessory to Attempted Murder" is a very serious charge and saying the wrong thing to a reporter could result in such charges, or others. I certainly am not advocating lying to an officer or covering up for someone, which also would likely result in charges, but I wouldn't just start spewing my mouth off to some reporter who could very likely take my remarks out of context or any number of other things. She may be also under a very real danger of having Child Protective Services remove her child from her custody, (assuming the child is hers.)

Were it me, I would give a short and sparse, but accurate report to the responding officer, but would want to consult with an attorney before making a detailed statement and would want one present for questioning. I would never lie, but I certainly would not want to be tricked into giving up my right not to offer evidence that would incriminate myself.

Furthermore, while I don't know her relationship to the man in the car, we also have the right not to offer evidence that would incriminate our spouse. I am not saying that I might not, at some point in the process, decide it's the right thing to do (offer evidence that would incriminate myself or my spouse), I just would want to make sure I knew exactly what I was doing and what the legal implications would be before I decided to give up my fifth amendment rights.

The idea that dodging the questions of a reporter is an obstruction of justice is quite frankly, just silly. We have no idea what she said to the officers or for that matter what really even happened.
All good information and theories, but there's one aspect I think was missed (unless I missed it in the other comments).

If the guy has that much of an anger problem that he would purposely wreck a motorcycle, she's almost certainly in an abusive relationship. It's amazing how compliant the victim of abuse can be, almost like a form of Stockholm Syndrome. I've witnessed this many times in friends' relationships. Someone goes.from being headstrong and opinionated to meek and accepting. Even moreso with a child involved.