User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
moto73 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
F800GS Driving Lights

Newbie here... been reading ADV for a long while. If I've posted in the wrong area please redirect me. I could'nt find any threads on HID or halogen lights for the F800GS so started this one:

Has anyone installed HID or Halogen driving/fog lights on their F800GS or F650GS? I'm aware of most of the options, and the Touratech HID/Halogen Combo looks like what I want, but here's my question - Can HID lights be used at all times while driving at night? I've heard you have to turn them off by law when opposing traffic approaches. This defeats the purpose of having the lights for me. The problem I'm having is when riding curvy roads at night I can't see around the corner. I think I need a flood? I can only see 40 feet in front of me with the stock low beam F800GS headlight. The High Beam solves the issue, but I can't use it in the city. Turning off the high beam every 30 seconds get old, quick.... I need a light I can use at all times that will give me visibility further down the road, one that won't piss off motorists and make them turn on their laser beams in my eyes. Any recommendations? I like the Touratechs for their size. Maybe skip the HID and just get two Halogens?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Hamilton Felix
Part Time Good Guy

Oddometer: 306
Thumb

Well..... this thread has been running from February until now.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309439

It ended up in the vendors section,but there's a lot of info.

I'm not sure if your post is more suited to here or to the Equipment section, but I wouldn't worry about it. (Bike-specific, IMHO, puts it here.)

You can't have too much light.

HID is much more energy efficient than halogen, but also much more expensive. Changing a halogen lamp to HID is changing the shape of the light source, so it will change the shape of the beam. Having a really clean (and propertly aimed) low beam cutoff is very important, both to avoid being flashed and getting tickets, and to help you see in fog and snow.

I don't lose a lot of sleep over legality. Back before halogen was really common, I ran rally bulbs in Cibie headlights and driving lights on a Saab 99 Turbo. When I hit high beam, I had four 100 watt headlights and two 100 watt driving lights. Yet I never got into trouble. I kept them aimed correctly and I always dimmed my lights if I saw lights (head or tail) ahead of me, no matter now far.

On a motorcycle, with its small charging system and limited space, one can justify the expense of HID lights. On my Suburban, with its big front end and 100 amp alternator, I could mount four big 100 watt halogen lights for a lot less money than going HID. But on my Wee, with only 125 watts (less than 10 amps) to spare.... well, I'm counting my pennies until I can afford a pair of Soltek Fuego HID driving lights.

As a fog light, it will only help you if it has VERY good beam control. It's a neverending source of frustration to me that the "best" foglight of the 1970's, the Cibie 175, is still pretty much the best out there. Today's lights are often designed as flashy trinkets to attract buyers, not to perform in the real world. Never waste money on cheap foglights, because poor beam control will make them worthless in fog.

Driving lights aren't quite as critical. If beam control isn't perfect, but they put a lot of light out there, they'll still help you. But look at performace, not appearance, and get what works best.

PIAA lights turn me off with their endless and less than credible hype, even though some of their lights seem to work OK.

I'd suggest getting the best bulbs you can for your existing headlights, then adding a pair of GOOD HID auxiliary lights. Wire them so their relay is controlled by your high beam, so the dimmer switch also drops your driving lights. Never skimp on wire gauge or quality of wiring and relays.

If you stick with 4300K HID lights and stay away from the silly blue and purple crap, John Law is not likely to notice or care whether your lights are HID or halogen. He only notices when you blind him. Aim carefully and always dim early.

Research carefully. Better lighting means a safer ride.

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction."
-- Thomas Jefferson - (1743-1826), in a letter to John Adams

Hamilton Felix screwed with this post 10-04-2008 at 12:54 PM
Hamilton Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
moto73 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Thanks for all the insight Hamilton Felix. Much appreciated!

So.. What the heck, I went with the Touratech HID left and Halogen Right set. They're all mounted up. Question I have is does anyone have any experience aiming these lights (or similar)? I know how to adjust them on both planes, but there are no instructions with the lights on recommended aiming. I would think keep the left HID aimed down and slightly to the right of center so that oncoming traffic doesn't get blasted with light, and aim the right Halogen slightly to the right so the side of the road is better illuminated. I haven't decided on height of the beams yet, but so far I followed the rule of 17' from a wall, set your beams 2" below the center of the headlight. I'm just looking for tips from people who have already done all this and got it dialed.

My lights are set up with a toggle on the left handlebar so that I can run them with the low beam. I decided against the high beam trigger set up.

Thanks!

#1 Benefit other than seeing at night a whole lot better - being seen by cars in daylight LONGGGGGG before you even get near them. No more front wheels creeping out on me and then the big "Oh shit... a motorcycle!!!" face...
Old 10-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
OK, I'm an electrical dimwit. I don't want to cut into my OEM wires or switches. I would draw a wiring diagram, but my stupid work computer won't let me. What if I run fogs and driving lights on a 3-position switch? Would I be wrong to wire up both sets of lights in the following manner? This may be clear as mud so I'll try to be as descriptive as I can.

For my driving lights: Ground lights to frame, light positive to 87, ground 85 to frame, AP1 with a 15A fuse to 30/51.

For my fogs: Ground lights to frame, light positive to 87, ground 85 to frame, AP1 with a 15A fuse to 30/51.

THEN for my switch: Ground to frame, one throw to 86 of my driving relay, the other throw to 86 of my fog relay.

Does this sound right, or am I out of my f'ing mind and I should stick to packing paraachutes? Many, many thanks!

-Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn

RobTheRigger screwed with this post 10-18-2008 at 06:32 AM
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 760
Here's my solution. I just added a Philips D2R 35w HID lamp and ballast mounted in the original low beam housing.
\

lamp installed

cut slot in cover and connected to original wiring using proper connector so that the original lamp can be installed no problem. silocon sealed.

ballast mounted with double stick tape and 2 stainless steel straps.

finished no canbus issues and saves 16watts of juice, nothing to break off in a get off

cost $129 for the ballast and 75 for the lamp.
smokin
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 34,968
I'm holding out for the new PIAA Cross Country HID's. I saw them at the Octoberfest at Morton's on the PIAA rep's RS, they are small, black, have an internal ballast and are of the 35W variety. Also gives me some time to figure out how to mount them.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
BillC
Banned

Oddometer: 1,579
What is it with BMW and headlights these days?
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
What is it with BMW and headlights these days?
Stock headlight is actually pretty good. We were out dodging bambi's at night on the BRP and I was very impressed with the high beam.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
See the Nov 2008 issue of the USA version of Motorcycle consumer news.They made Lazer Star bullet lights best buy, PIAA Cross Country HID, IPF Rev 1 and Lazer star HIDs all recommended. The light pattern of the PIAA CC HID looks best in their picture, but $550.00!!!!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
PhilSpace
The Gov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford
See the Nov 2008 issue of the USA version of Motorcycle consumer news.They made Lazer Star bullet lights best buy, PIAA Cross Country HID, IPF Rev 1 and Lazer star HIDs all recommended. The light pattern of the PIAA CC HID looks best in their picture, but $550.00!!!!!
I saw that article before I met the PIAA rep. What has me willing to pay twice as much is to not have to tuck away a ballast. Agree on the pattern, their pic of the PIAA's won hands down in my book.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
Ron Wardman
Beemerguy

Oddometer: 249
Mounting barackets

I have purchased the PIAA crosscountry HID lights but haven't found a good mounting bracket. If anyone has some information about brackets, I would certainly appreciate it. I have the PIAA brackets which would clamp on SW Mototech crash bars but that position seems iffy and not the best location. Up near the turn signals seems like the best place. If none are available, perhaps it might be a good product for someone to develop as the number of 800's grows.
Ron Wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
Ron Wardman
Beemerguy

Oddometer: 249
Mounting brackets

I have purchased the PIAA crosscountry HID lights but haven't found a good mounting bracket. If anyone has some information about brackets, I would certainly appreciate it. I have the PIAA brackets which would clamp on SW Mototech crash bars but that position seems iffy and not the best location. Up near the turn signals seems like the best place. If none are available, perhaps it might be a good product for someone to develop as the number of 800's grows.
Ron Wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
I'm holding out for the new PIAA Cross Country HID's. I saw them at the Octoberfest at Morton's on the PIAA rep's RS, they are small, black, have an internal ballast and are of the 35W variety. Also gives me some time to figure out how to mount them.

Parts guy at the local bmw shop has a set of these on his 12gs...talk about stupid-bright
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #14
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace

+1 These look good!!! Waiting for news on availability!

Edit:
Just found out the price: USD$ 549.88
Owwwww back to my search...
Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
I already own a pair of Hellas, so I want to go that route. I'm stuck in the position of having to buy EVERYTHING gear wise, as I haven't ridden in 10 years and don't have anything except my pirate jacket...So all the money I would have spent on farkles is going to gear (which I WILL NOT skimp on). Oh well, it will just make it that much more "mine"!

-Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote