User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #166
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Day 7 - January 1st

Woke up at 3:30 AM to the sound of the hotel clock radio, which was a surprise considering it was my backup. Looking at my iPhone, I saw it decided to switch itself to the Central Time zone. I packed the last of my things, checked out of the hotel, and drove to Ft. Benning. I got there right at 4:45 AM, when the arms room was scheduled to open, so I took a quick nap in the car. At 5 AM, I got my weapons, boarded the bus, and went back to sleep. We pulled out about 5:30 and headed for the range. When we got there, we had about two hours before we were scheduled to shoot, so I laid out my poncho and went to sleep on the frozen ground. I had to drive at least 5+ hours at the completion of the match, so I wanted to take advantage of every opportunity to rest.

About 7:15, my squad leader woke me and said it was time to get ammo. As I headed over to the shack, shooting had already started under the lights.

For the rifle, they issued 62 grain Hornaday TAP ammo.

and for the pistol, they issued Atlanta Arms 124 grain match ammo.

To expedite the scoring, the AMU had a Wi-Fi connected Nook and they uploaded the scores into an app.

The combined arms match had four stages: rifle, pistol, and two multi-gun. We ended with the two multi-gun stages, which was the highlight of the week and was the perfect way to wrap up the event.

My shitty zero from Day 1 came back to haunt me in the rifle stage and I tried to use Kentucky windage based on where the bullets were hitting. In the last stage (7:30 mark in the video), I had the weirdest mag failure, where the follower titled and all I saw was primers. I knew I had one extra round, so I stripped it off, pushed the remaining rounds back into position, and reloaded the mag. As it turned out, I missed a few shots, so I loaded the last round directly in the chamber, rather than leave a steel target standing for a 10 second penalty.

We wrapped up the match around 1 PM. Even though we were way ahead of schedule, the awards ceremony was still scheduled for 5 PM. When we got back to the arms room, I went over to the registration building and got the OK to skip the awards ceremony. I left site around 2 and got to Knoxville about 7 PM. After a shower and a change of clothes, I went out for steak, a few beers, and then crashed for the night.

On Sunday morning, I woke up, loaded the car, checked out of the hotel, and drove the last 5 hours to Cincinnati to turn in my weapons.

MISSION COMPLETE

ETA: If anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future, here's some advice from a first-time novice participant:

1. Stay flexible. With over 200 attendees and a dozen different matches, things are bound to change.
2. Although billed as "an advanced combat live-fire training event," the training is very minimal. This is more of a performing event then a training event. If you're a true novice, the SAFS at Camp Perry is much more detailed.
3. Ten rounds is not enough to zero an unknown rifle. If possible, bring your own rifle zeroed for 100 yards so you can use those 10 shots as sighters to confirm your zero. In addition, know your elevation changes for 200-500 yards. The number of clicks I needed did not match what the AMU's chart specified.
4. If you're not part of a team, try to associate with one that will at least keep you informed of any last-minute updates, give you advice, and mentor you throughout the event.
5. Practice, practice, practice. Point-based competition shooting is nothing like shooting pop-ups during qualifications. It's a whole different game, with its own rules and strategies.
6. Have fun and enjoy the company of some of the best shooters in the military.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 08:18 PM
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #167
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
always seemed to me that "misinformation" was the signature attribute of being in the Army. I dont miss that one bit. When I was a Private, I thought that they occasionally pulled that crap to try and keep us on our toes. Later on, I figured out that the right hand had no clue what the left hand was doing.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:20 AM   #168
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
always seemed to me that "misinformation" was the signature attribute of being in the Army. I dont miss that one bit. When I was a Private, I thought that they occasionally pulled that crap to try and keep us on our toes. Later on, I figured out that the right hand had no clue what the left hand was doing.
My wife is a Soldier, too. At least once a week, one of us turns to the other and says, "It shouldn't be this hard." After a while, you become numb to it.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #169
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,107
Specifically the hurry, hurry or you'll be too late for the waiting.
It grows on one.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #170
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Specifically the hurry, hurry or you'll be too late for the waiting.
It grows on one.
Yeah, it's kind of a tradition. Organizational runs are the worst and the bigger they are, the worse they get. For example, the Brigade run starts at 0600, so the battalion commander wants to march over at 0530, so he forms up at 0515. The company commander wants a formation at 0500, etc, etc. Before you know it, you're getting up at 0400 and you're pissed off and miserable for something that's supposed to build espirit de corps.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #171
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

48 degrees? Good enough!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #172
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Very good ride reports! Thanks! Seneca Rocks brought back pleasant memories. The jump towers at the Fort Benning Infantry School brought back 1981 memories ..."Hit the hole poleman! Hit the hole!"

kojack06 screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 05:14 AM
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #173
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Since mid-March, I've been on an Army mission in the Dominican Republic. This place is definitely ADV-worthy. The roads are filled with small displacement bikes, sometimes carrying up to four people at a time. I occasionally see dual sports, so I'll post pictures of them when I can.

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 08:52 PM
Old 07-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #174
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got back in the US on Friday and after two days with the family, I spent three days sick in bed. I was initially worried I had Dengue Fever, but after my wife got sick, I knew it was something less exotic. This morning I was finally feeling well enough to get out, so I went to explore the old rail line out of Plain City. I had trouble starting the bike (I think the OEM 2008 fuel pump is failing), but I decided to roll the dice and head out anyway.

With the threat of rain, the temps were cool and made a nice day for riding. I saw several hawks and lots of wildflowers.

The old bridges were rustic, but being alone, I chose to walk the bike over them.

Out on the Darby Plain, some of the views ran from horizon to horizon.

In the town of Woodstock, I was surprised to find the old rail line was the route of Lincoln's Funeral Train.

Through Woodstock, the right of way was difficult to follow because 5+ feet of rail bed was removed and several properties straddle the route.

Trying to get back on the rail bed, I rode asphalt west out of town and turned north onto Park Road to find where the rail line bisected the road. Turning left onto the rail bed, I was almost immediately followed by a pickup truck, so I pulled over, killed the engine, and waited for the driver. When he pulled up, I saw that it was a farm truck and he asked if I had permission to be there. I apologized for my presence and said I thought it was just an old rail bed. He mentioned some trouble with locals and was concerned about people getting hurt, but I said I was just out exploring and that I would turn around. I apologized again and headed back.

When I got back on Park Road, I stopped to set the GPS for home. When I tried to restart the bike, I didn't hear the fuel pump kick in. Turning it on and off a few times, I heard the pump sputter, but it wouldn't turn over. Finally after a dozen attempts, it started up and I was back on the road.

I only made it about 13.3 miles, so the trip back to Plain City was quick. It wouldn't be an Ohio ADV ride without pie, so I made a quick stop at Der Dutchmen for take-out.

Leaving the restaurant, it started on the second try. I called the local dealer after getting home, but they didn't have a fuel pump in stock and they wanted $365 to order one. Ouch! Time to look online.

ETA: I'm going to replace the battery first and see what happens.

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 07-03-2014 at 02:15 PM
Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #175
zoid
Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer: 1,142
Just found this a couple of days ago. Only on page five. Really enjoying seeing your accumulation of skills and enjoying the videos. Keep it up!!!

Subscribed.
zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #176
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 898
Great thread ArmyJoe!

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #177
arwfs
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Just read through your whole thread. Makes me want to pack my bike up and head out again:)

I need to explore eastern ohio some.
arwfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #178
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback!