Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
nedodjija OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Help me decide on 950 Adventure

Hello everyone,
This is the first time I am posting in Orange Crush, and would like to say hello. I currently own R1100GS with only 30K that I bought last year. I also had a Ulysses that I loved, but it was 2007 model that was notorious for engine failure, so I sold the bike. It was very exciting and cool bike though. So I had an itch for a new motorcycle, and this Friday I am going to check out 2006 KTM 950 Adv with 20K on the ODO. My concern is the maintenance. Maintenance on my BMW is very simple, and all the work I do my self. I believe that KTM will be way more exciting bike, but I don't want to spend fortune on parts and eternity on oil changes. I would like some feedback on the bike by the current owners, what you like and dislike. I am going to test ride the bike this Friday. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,335
I've had my '06 950 for a couple years. Had an 1150GS before that.
The KTM is a pain in the ass to work on. Take a look at the KTM Hall of Wisdom to get an idea of what you need to do to adjust the valves(shims). Remove all the plastic, the air filter, the radiator, yada yada.....
The oil is a hastle, too. Two drain plugs (the upper one is sure to get you and your floor covered in oil the first time). Need to remove at least one of the gas tanks.
Is it worth it to ride? Hell ya. That is if you plan to take it off pavement and use it like it's supposed to be used. If you plan on a majority of highway miles and easy dirt roads, I'd stick with the GS.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
nedodjija OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
I've had my '06 950 for a couple years. Had an 1150GS before that.
The KTM is a pain in the ass to work on. Take a look at the KTM Hall of Wisdom to get an idea of what you need to do to adjust the valves(shims). Remove all the plastic, the air filter, the radiator, yada yada.....
The oil is a hastle, too. Two drain plugs (the upper one is sure to get you and your floor covered in oil the first time). Need to remove at least one of the gas tanks.
Is it worth it to ride? Hell ya. That is if you plan to take it off pavement and use it like it's supposed to be used. If you plan on a majority of highway miles and easy dirt roads, I'd stick with the GS.
Thanks for the reply. I ride dirt on my WR450F and it is a great bike for what I use it for. I do some light dirt and way more paved road on my GS. If I got KTM it would probably be some light dirt as well, just because I have plated WR450 that is great on dirt. So I need to do some thinking I guess.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
At the end of the day, the 950 Adventure is time consuming to work on. It's true. I find more and more that I don't mind it, because I don't mind wrenching on my bike. One might consider it a pain in the ass if you can't change the oil in ten minutes.
The valve adjust is no big deal. I sweated over it when I went to do it for the first time, but it's a pretty simple process and easy to do, and I take care of a few other things while I'm at it (I do an oil change and since I remove the radiator I get to do a cooling system service as well). You have to take off the tanks and such to do that stuff. Not a big deal when it comes down to it. You should be taking the time to look over the bike while you're at it and see if anything else may come up the near future.

I'm on my second 950. Financial situations might make me have to offload it again (my 640 will not leave my garage, I'm sorry), but I know that when the time is right I'd just end up with another one again. Amazing bikes, very capable. My first off road excursion on a 950 was an organized dual sport ride in Washington. I was flat floored at how capable the bike was, even on super tight gnarly single track.

950s bring big smiles. Working on one yourself is very gratifying. A true Adventure bike.
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
The KTM is a pain in the ass to work on.
I couldn't disagree more. Ever work on a KLR? Now there's a bike that's a PITA to work on. Crappy fasteners of every size, poorly thought out parts and wiring layout...I didn't work on that bike because it sucked.

I find the KTMs are a pleasure to work on. Don't let the internet rumor mongers scare you away. There is nothing to fear about these bikes. You thought the Ulysses was exciting? Heh...you're in for a whole new level!

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 580
You know, that was my concern as well. I didn't want an Adventure because of all of the maintenance required. If you have any mechanical inclination, they don't seem tough at all. It seems to me that all the guys complaining about the maintenance are just little bitches that don't like to get dirty. I pulled the trigger and absolutely love it. Oil changes are really no problem. Pulling the tanks is a breeze, pulling the carbs really isn't hard either. Really, I haven't figured out what all the whining is about. I'm looking forward to the valves this winter and a preventative water pump rebuild.

Just my 2 cents
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Ever work on a KLR? Now there's a bike that's a PITA to work on. Crappy fasteners of every size, poorly thought out parts and wiring layout...I didn't work on that bike because it sucked.

I find the KTMs are a pleasure to work on. Don't let the internet rumor mongers scare you away. There is nothing to fear about these bikes. You thought the Ulysses was exciting? Heh...you're in for a whole new level!
This!

The 990 can be a little time consuming, but once you get the hang removing the tanks it's not difficult.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,156
There's a ton of stuff that you can do to simplify maintenance. Stud the front crash bar mounts, and you never have to fully take them off again during maintenance. Remove the air box and replace with a CPR or ITG unit, and then you can actually get to the carbs. Install a FuzeBlock FZ1 in the glove box to simplify wiring. Install a CJ Designs drain hose so that oil changes are simplified.

In the end, I can say that there is no bike out there like the 950. So fun to ride, and so capable.

It even makes a good storm chaser.

Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
Swashbuckler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
2 months ago I bought a 950 with 63k on it. Mine had quite a few issues that I was unnaware of when I purchased it. I knew the carb had issues and my first tear down was horrible. It took forever to figure out how to take things off and trying to recall what went where. But after pulling everything off and putting it back on another 20 times (I ended up with plenty of issues) I can easily pull off the fairings and tanks in 10 minutes. I can have the carbs off in about 20 minutes. But it does usually take a bit longer to put it all back together. I'm definitely not mechanically inclined and have never attempted all the maintenance I've done with this KTM than on any other bike i've ever owned, but now that my bike is running like the beast it is I can't stop smiling. With that being said I've cleaned, fixed, and rejetted the carbs, adjusted the valves, replaced the fuel pump, cleaned up the entire electrical system, checked the clutch plates and clutch engagement system, and bled both of my brakes using the simple procedures found on the Orange Crush.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,508
*All Hail The Hall Of Wisdom...*

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
The oil change is easy with a quick drain. Like most things , the first time is wow. The second time it is not so bad, then you start looking for things to upgrade or lube just to say you did it. I just rode in the Sierras with a friend that has a GS and 950 . Before the ride, he thought why not sell the 950. The GS can do some dirt. I said then let's make this a going away party for it. We did some very cool dirt riding and he said "crap, I don't think my GS could done half the stuff and the all day 8am to 8pm ride home with dirt and highway , made him realize the KTM does rode well too.
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
nedodjija OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the inputs. I will test ride the bike tomorrow, and let you know what I taught of it. I am looking forward to check out the power and suspension.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #13
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 580
Don't ride it unless you really are ready to buy. Every thng else will seem bland after your ride. You'll want that feeling of power back and won't be able to resist for long
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
You know, that was my concern as well. I didn't want an Adventure because of all of the maintenance required. If you have any mechanical inclination, they don't seem tough at all. It seems to me that all the guys complaining about the maintenance are just little bitches that don't like to get dirty. I pulled the trigger and absolutely love it. Oil changes are really no problem. Pulling the tanks is a breeze, pulling the carbs really isn't hard either. Really, I haven't figured out what all the whining is about. I'm looking forward to the valves this winter and a preventative water pump rebuild.

Just my 2 cents

Love working on all my bikes. Just the KTM a little less than any other bike I've ever owned. Some of it is due to wear and tear. Bent crash bars make it hard to get at the tank screws, etc.
Not sure if you've ever wrenched on a BMW R series or not, so you might not realize the ease of maintenance that can be found on something other than the KTM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
JK1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
Don't ride it unless you really are ready to buy. Every thng else will seem bland after your ride. You'll want that feeling of power back and won't be able to resist for long

I did not even test ride mine and was the first one I saw. I said take my money.

Old Suzuki TS50, Aprilia Chesterfield RS125 , Honda NC30, Cagiva Elefant 750
JK1 is online now   Reply With Quote