ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #181
1BIGADV
Banned
 
1BIGADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: On An Adventure
Oddometer: 73
Hi Donnie, have read this thread and your other travel attachments

Sorry to hear about your wife, but admire your spirit to carry on

In regard to this thread as much as I love my 950ADV I do not think I would pick it for your usage unless you were prepared to buy a new one every 50k or so.


Would think a Honda VFR1200X would do 150k without a sniffle by comparison and the only thing you have perhaps on your side in regard to the high mileage is the fact that it is likely your heat cycles (which in theory is were most wear occurs) would be less that someone doing shorter trips.

I personally own a reliable Honda for the very reason of trying to keeping mileage down on KTM so I can use it for Adventure Riding without it getting to worn out doing road work only

1BIGADV screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 05:00 AM
1BIGADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #182
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
This isn't going to end well!!!
I hope this is not correct, but you may be correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
I tend to agree. If you're not going to embrace a bikes mechanical quirks its time to move on. New thread.... What bike should Donnie get next that can run up high miles quickly into the 100,000 plus with very few problems.

It's probably going to be a proven BMW model or something turning Japanese. I really think so.....
With all due respect, a failure is poor quality, it is not a quirk. I may accept replacing certain parts as PM, but failure is failure, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BIGADV View Post
Hi Donnie, have read this thread and your other travel attachments

Sorry to hear about your wife, but admire your spirit to carry on

In regard to this thread as much as I love my 950ADV I do not think I would pick it for your usage unless you were prepared to buy a new one every 50k or so.

I did not purchase the 990 to be my high mileage moto, but through attrition and the needs of south of the border riding, along with the need to become a one moto person, it won by default. The big un-known is how long will it last. It seems very few, if any of these motos have actually been put to the test. With the exception of one, any I have read about with 60,000 miles or more have been overhauled, but with no exception, the owners like to brag about how un-worn it's internals are. Those comments along with the need to overhaul the motor seem to be at odds to me. But, it is the moto I have, time will tell! The Orange Koolaid is indeed very strong! I think you have the more balanced view on the matter and in fact, the way you use your 950 is the way I had intended on using my 990. I had planned on replacing the R1100GS with a R1200GSA for my wife and I to tour south of the border and around the world.

In the end, if carrying an o-ring for the clutch slave cylinder; changing the fuel filters as normal PM, which it should be anyway; and carrying a rebuild kit for the water pump is all that is necessary, I will probably be fine. However, if KTM wants to advertise this moto as a world tourer and they do, they need to step up to the plate and find the definition for quality and reliability! Most folks on this board seem to use their 950/990s as dual sport motos with very low annual mileage. Personally, I consider the 990 to be a very poor dual sport moto. My "prepped" KLR was much better for this and the 250KLX was even better as long as riding at more than 60MPH or so was not necessary.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #183
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,298
Love the taste of unsweetened kool aid.

Nothing said better then the bitter-sweet taste of honesty. Digging on this thread!!!
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #184
Trail bandit
Random adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
With all due respect, a failure is poor quality, it is not a quirk. I may accept replacing certain parts as PM, but failure is failure, nothing more.
All true. I'm still in the honeymoon phase and enjoying preventative maintenance on the potential failures.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #185
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Firestone, CO
Oddometer: 1,000
My 950 has just over 65,000 miles and has never been over hauled. I bought it for the specific purpose of touring. I like the look/style of it over any of the typical touring bikes.
__________________
2008 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #186
1BIGADV
Banned
 
1BIGADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: On An Adventure
Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I hope this is not correct, but you may be correct.



With all due respect, a failure is poor quality, it is not a quirk. I may accept replacing certain parts as PM, but failure is failure, nothing more.



I did not purchase the 990 to be my high mileage moto, but through attrition and the needs of south of the border riding, along with the need to become a one moto person, it won by default. The big un-known is how long will it last. It seems very few, if any of these motos have actually been put to the test. With the exception of one, any I have read about with 60,000 miles or more have been overhauled, but with no exception, the owners like to brag about how un-worn it's internals are. Those comments along with the need to overhaul the motor seem to be at odds to me. But, it is the moto I have, time will tell! The Orange Koolaid is indeed very strong! I think you have the more balanced view on the matter and in fact, the way you use your 950 is the way I had intended on using my 990. I had planned on replacing the R1100GS with a R1200GSA for my wife and I to tour south of the border and around the world.

In the end, if carrying an o-ring for the clutch slave cylinder; changing the fuel filters as normal PM, which it should be anyway; and carrying a rebuild kit for the water pump is all that is necessary, I will probably be fine. However, if KTM wants to advertise this moto as a world tourer and they do, they need to step up to the plate and find the definition for quality and reliability! Most folks on this board seem to use their 950/990s as dual sport motos with very low annual mileage. Personally, I consider the 990 to be a very poor dual sport moto. My "prepped" KLR was much better for this and the 250KLX was even better as long as riding at more than 60MPH or so was not necessary.
Am Glad you are persevering as hopefully it will encourage the rest of us as well, Love my KTM moto (as you put it) and I do believe the Dakar platform they are based on gives them and edge in many places especially when speeds are up a bit, sure they may not do slow as well as singles and at about 50kg more fall over easier in these instances but once up to speed magic, on an open metal road nothing can touch one of these ADV motos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
My 950 has just over 65,000 miles and has never been over hauled. I bought it for the specific purpose of touring. I like the look/style of it over any of the typical touring bikes.
I'll admit it I like mine on the road to and think of it as a sports bike with a big front wheel, so its usually easy to keep up with your road buddies pretty much whatever they ride

1BIGADV screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 05:06 AM
1BIGADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #187
Trail bandit
Random adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
With all due respect, a failure is poor quality, it is not a quirk. I may accept replacing certain parts as PM, but failure is failure, nothing more.
Just a little more in this issue from the point of view of long term use of any bike.

Failure can be as simple as two mating parts that were manufactured and passed quality control but they were both on the outer edge of tolerances. One too small and one tool large squished together and these guys fail early. Nobodies fault, can't predict it and you fix it.

However, majority of problems are going to start to be predictable as a model has been in the market place for a while.

Failure here is going to be such as the clutch slave and water pump on 9#0 These thing appear and the manufacturer corrects them. WHEN they fix them is the unpredictable part. Could be years later and related to a huge number of variables.

Testing time on the part manufacturer will replace the defective part with. Manufacturer still has to spend time testing the new part to make sure it won't fail. Testing can't involve 3 years out in use in all conditions. Lots more to do with the bloody accountants, legal, design team, material engineers, marketing etc that can influence time to get a FAILURE fixed.

So, how does that change what we do as the users?

1. Choose a proven product that has had no changes or changes directly related to fixing past issues.

2. Have a great repairer who can provide informed preventative as well as programmed maintenance. (Personally don't have a choice geographically and enjoy doing the work)

3. Do what we're doing here. Use the accumulated knowledge of a heap of users to work out what needs preventative maintenance and how to go about it.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #188
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator
 
jwalters's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Little Marais, MN
Oddometer: 2,232
I have about 50,000 miles on my 2008 990 ADV. I expect to get another 50K out of it! I don't see why not. It's not burning oil, great compression and leak down tests as of last year. Cam lobes look great. I'm even on the stock water pump. Though I did go through 3 fuel pumps before learning to swap fuel filters religiously.

I figure when the bike gets above 100,000 miles it might loose a couple ponies and some torque, but it's got so much power I won't notice. The bike will just grow old with me.
__________________
See you at the Minnesota North Shore Shindig 2014 10-13 July (Finland, MN)

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #189
Trail bandit
Random adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 204
Wow. What an experience. Looking forward to the update
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #190
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,580
I start tomorrow trying to figure out how to get a front rim replaced in Mexico. The current one is destroyed!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #191
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,298
An option for front rim...

If you can find a KTM dealer buy a stock 950 Super Enduro wheel, which is the DID Dirtstar. Stronger and better for a good price. You can reuse your hub and spokes... if they are salvageable.
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #192
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 2,543
Bring that thing back to Texas Donnie and I'll swap you great travel bike for it! No really
__________________
ADV Relay Rider 08 (The Texas Connection)
Ride Pooie Ride

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #193
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Just a little more in this issue from the point of view of long term use of any bike.

Failure can be as simple as two mating parts that were manufactured and passed quality control but they were both on the outer edge of tolerances. One too small and one tool large squished together and these guys fail early. Nobodies fault, can't predict it and you fix it.

However, majority of problems are going to start to be predictable as a model has been in the market place for a while.

Failure here is going to be such as the clutch slave and water pump on 9#0 These thing appear and the manufacturer corrects them. WHEN they fix them is the unpredictable part. Could be years later and related to a huge number of variables.

Testing time on the part manufacturer will replace the defective part with. Manufacturer still has to spend time testing the new part to make sure it won't fail. Testing can't involve 3 years out in use in all conditions. Lots more to do with the bloody accountants, legal, design team, material engineers, marketing etc that can influence time to get a FAILURE fixed.

So, how does that change what we do as the users?

1. Choose a proven product that has had no changes or changes directly related to fixing past issues.

2. Have a great repairer who can provide informed preventative as well as programmed maintenance. (Personally don't have a choice geographically and enjoy doing the work)

3. Do what we're doing here. Use the accumulated knowledge of a heap of users to work out what needs preventative maintenance and how to go about it.
I am just joking, but do you think KTM should include what you wrote in their Sales Literature?
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #194
1BIGADV
Banned
 
1BIGADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: On An Adventure
Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
I have about 50,000 miles on my 2008 990 ADV. I expect to get another 50K out of it! I don't see why not. It's not burning oil, great compression and leak down tests as of last year. Cam lobes look great. I'm even on the stock water pump. Though I did go through 3 fuel pumps before learning to swap fuel filters religiously.

I figure when the bike gets above 100,000 miles it might loose a couple ponies and some torque, but it's got so much power I won't notice. The bike will just grow old with me.
wow awesome shot, and note to self, change fuel filter and my bike will last another 10 years or so
1BIGADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #195
JBird
Retriever
 
JBird's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Upstate, SC
Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post

Failure can be as simple as two mating parts that were manufactured and passed quality control but they were both on the outer edge of tolerances. One too small and one tool large squished together and these guys fail early. Nobodies fault, can't predict it and you fix it.
As a manufacturer I can tell you this is no excuse! If these outer edges of the tolerances don't work well together the tolerances are too broad!! No, ifs, ands , or buts. You bring that to a meeting and you can find another job.

Statistical process control can warn when tooling wear has moved the medium value and the process needs to be reset. This is what Demming taught the Japanese and they are so good at.
__________________
JBird
KTM 1190R
KTM 950SMR
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014