Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #211
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Hey Donnie, how's your old man doing? Are you headed north?
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #212
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
Hey Donnie, how's your old man doing? Are you headed north?

His mind continues to slip, but otherwise his health is about the same.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #213
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
My career was also manufacturing and my experiences were the same. KTM was smart enough to not let their motos be used in Long Way Round, they need to be smart enough to copy a few examples of the problem parts from reliable motos. We called it "bench marking" in my business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
As a manufacturer I can tell you this is no excuse! If these outer edges of the tolerances don't work well together the tolerances are too broad!! No, ifs, ands , or buts. You bring that to a meeting and you can find another job.

Statistical process control can warn when tooling wear has moved the medium value and the process needs to be reset. This is what Demming taught the Japanese and they are so good at.
Don't get too hung up on the tolerance thing. I was just really trying to expand on rare failures like the one I'd just read before posting.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=189 which granted could have been for any number or reasons. Expect it would have been a name brand Bearing that failed and not a Chinese special.

My experience is as a designer. I ask advice early on from engineers and manufacturers and then hand over at latter stages. I understand and have read up on six sigma etc. Voraciously read all the industrialist biographies I could get my hands on over the years. Most memorable being Ford and Chrysler bio's. Any hands on engineer designer with an entrepreneurial mind set.

I can CAD draw and mill or turn up any part required and weld complex frames with reasonable skill. Not the motorcycle industry btw and that sentence as I read it looked a bit that way. No, boring stuff not worth mentioning here.

Anyway, I also quite like the post from the Desert surfer where he seems to explain KTM as a company.

I really like the KTM990. Just feels right! Not sure if I'm ever going to buy the 1190. Notice Dr Greg is selling his Multi and main reason is wanting to survive the 150hp as he gets older. Hard to dial it back when you've got lots of ponies to call on.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #214
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
After a month of ownership my 950 Adventure has an extra 2000+ miles on the odometer, its sitting well into the 66000 mile range and will shortly be at 67,000 miles. I haven't had any issues that would be of concern to me. My balance shaft seal started leaking shortly after I started riding it (I'll attest that to lot rot as mush as anything since it sat for quite a while before I bought it), had the front forks serviced, and I did have to replace and bleed out the fluid in the rear brakes after 1 very long ride down the mountain in stop and go traffic. I think I'll be replacing the chain/sprockets here shortly, I want to get a more aggressive ratio going as I'm looking to get a long distance bagger/tourer and keep the KTM my super fun canyon carver. Not enough experience on dirt bikes to be taking it out in the dirt yet, but I've got ready access to a TTR225 to practice with so that'll be happening eventually.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #215
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Don't get too hung up on the tolerance thing. I was just really trying to expand on rare failures like the one I'd just read before posting.
I really like the KTM990. Just feels right! Not sure if I'm ever going to buy the 1190. Notice Dr Greg is selling his Multi and main reason is wanting to survive the 150hp as he gets older. Hard to dial it back when you've got lots of ponies to call on.
Hi!

I was addressing the comments of someone else with my comments that you quoted. I suspect that we all like out KTMs, I know I do! I hope that I am only reading about the motos with failures and not most that run with no problems. This thread was no so much to express my lack of confidence as it was to build confidence in the bike. I can't say that it has been achieved, but I have it and I'm certainly going to continue riding it. Maybe I will answer my own question.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #216
1BIGADV
Banned

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
I do a lot of wandering traveling. Do you ever go out close to your home and just wander around? Maybe turn down roads that you have never been down before and maybe you don't know exactly where it goes. I do the same thing, but it is often in a different country.

I did not arrive at this travel method over night, it took years to develop. First in the US and later on down south. If you had told me 10 years ago that I would be traveling down south the way I do now, I would probably have thought you were as crazy as maybe you think I am now. Most of our friends thought Sheryl and I were crazy to do the traveling the way we did. But as you travel, as in just about anything else, you stretch your boundaries and in time, what was once extremely rad becomes normal.

As far a my accident. I believe very firmly if you ride, you are going to fall down. I was in circumstances prior to my accident that I did not want to be in, but that is the nature of traveling. It ain't always easy.

I almost forgot to address the longevity issue. Traveling full time. be it around the world and around South America, for me would accumulate about 35,000 miles per year. Sure there would be 500 mile days, but there would be a lot of days with near 0 miles. Using motos with a reliable life span of 100.000 miles means a change in less than three years. When I say reliable life span, I don't mean that the moto is worn out, but that it has become un-reliable for touring in more desolate areas. BTW. I am 29 days into this trip and there have been 13 days with less than 10 miles per day. Living on the road, which I am not doing yet, does not mean riding every day.

One other comment and I mean no offense with these comments. You have a manner that you enjoy riding. I am sure that it is within a window that you feel you have control and comfort. I have no doubt that you enjoy your rides as much as I enjoy mine. But, you should not assume that the only proper way to ride is the same way that you ride. Different folks have different comfort levels. Some folks like dirt, some don't. Some folks who have had the opportunity to travel more on their motos might be more comfortable in certain circumstances than others. If you went to some of the places I go down south, assuming you have little or no experience there, you may be putting yourself at risk. If I rode my 990 in some of the places in your area that I am not accustomed to, I may be putting myself at risk. The level of risk is directly related to the experience of those involved.

I can see your predicament, I have a similar one with my work vehicles which is why I always buy Toyota's

My own strategy for bikes is to own more than one and take the one that most suits my particular ride need (meanwhile spreading the mileage between them), though I'm struggling to keep that down on my KTM which is up to 22.000 miles now, but from what I've read so far if I change my fuel filter and perhaps my water pump it should last me a while yet

Here's another thought, Get in good with a dealer Buy a new Bike and have a good trade deal set up with him every year, Pick up your new bike with some cash exchange and ride on.

Otherwise see how far the KTM will go and if its not working out its back to the Honda thing again.

As I said before I have a Honda which I should ride more as will probable do 100.000 before it even needs an oil change but find myself on KTM more often than not if given the choice
1BIGADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #217
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BIGADV View Post

I can see your predicament, I have a similar one with my work vehicles which is why I always buy Toyota's

My own strategy for bikes is to own more than one and take the one that most suits my particular ride need (meanwhile spreading the mileage between them), though I'm struggling to keep that down on my KTM which is up to 22.000 miles now, but from what I've read so far if I change my fuel filter and perhaps my water pump it should last me a while yet

Here's another thought, Get in good with a dealer Buy a new Bike and have a good trade deal set up with him every year, Pick up your new bike with some cash exchange and ride on.

Otherwise see how far the KTM will go and if its not working out its back to the Honda thing again.

As I said before I have a Honda which I should ride more as will probable do 100.000 before it even needs an oil change but find myself on KTM more often than not if given the choice
Two months ago I owned five motos, but living on the road or the interior of Mexico only allows one.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #218
1BIGADV
Banned

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Two months ago I owned five motos, but living on the road or the interior of Mexico only allows one.
Understand

I recon you change water pumps every year, run a stainless oil filter and change fuel filters regularly plus have a spare fuel pump on board you should be ok for a few years (did I miss anything ? )

Will looking at all of this for mine and should keep me going another 3 years at least
1BIGADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #219
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
I would add a clutch slave would need to be addressed at a point.

Mine died on me 4 times. Stop and go traffic in a heatwave is the enemy of the beast.
Cheers
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #220
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Understand

I recon you change water pumps every year, run a stainless oil filter and change fuel filters regularly plus have a spare fuel pump on board you should be ok for a few years (did I miss anything ? )

Will looking at all of this for mine and should keep me going another 3 years at least
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Mine died on me 4 times. Stop and go traffic in a heatwave is the enemy of the beast.
Cheers

Yes, those are the things I plan to prepare for.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #221
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got my moto out of the shop yesterday. The front looks rough, but I only have 1,900 miles to go! I will be leaving in a few minutes.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #222
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Dual fan kit and new thermo switch are supposed to solve that issue. I'm going to get mine from KTMTwins soon. I'm also going to swap the factory plastic radiator cover with a mesh one that should let more air through.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #223
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Understand

Water pump Solved.

The CJ hardened shaft should be a permanent solution where the original shaft was grooving quite badly. Perhaps even replacement KTM OEM are finally hardened properly (confirmation?)

The seal itself was upgraded and hopefully it lasts the same length of time as any brand would. 50,000 plus ?

Fuel filter. Solved

There is a $300 approx purge module that reverses the flow for a bit.

I've started a thread with another solution here for $50 dollars
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899168 25 micron filters in both fuel filler necks.

This should mean the filters last longer than most bikes instead of being a quick potential failure. I'm planning on 50,000 mile changes of fuel filters.

I've purchased a second 990 with only a couple of thousand miles on it. Already received the split stream filters to go in.

Already purchased the cj water pump kit.

Clutch slave is the only other pretty much certain issue as far as I know.

One more thing. I've bought 100mm x 6mm bolts. Already screwed one all the way through and lock nut underneath chain guard. That's a pretty catastrophic failure to potentially lock rear wheel at highway speeds if the bolt came out of chain guard.

One final thing

EFI and fuel tank issues. The one I pick up Tuesday morning has all the issues of jerky throttle etc. Apparently been spoiled with the first one. Runs perfectly smooth except for a slightly erratic idle kicking in the rekluse clutch above 1500rpm idle.

Already got the CJ cable for fuel map but seems to be a learning curve to hook up laptop to bike.

Conclusion. Thread has been equally helpful to me as OP. Thanks again dwj-Donnie

I suspect there is a fair chance we can get a good run out of these bikes.

Trail bandit screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 12:20 PM
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #224
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

That front wheel made it almost 600 miles today! Only 1,300 to go! Yes, there were times that I did not get off the moto for three plus hours. No, my butt is not hurting, but my knees are!
Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #225
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

An small problem. It seems I have a vent line stopped up. I started having some issues yesterday. After about 100 miles, the moto would hesitate when the throttle was turned. It seemed like the descriptions of stopped up fuel filters I have read about. But after two tanks of gas it cleared up. It started back today and I discovered that opening the gas cap would clear it right up for a while. The drain line on the right tank had stopped up a while ago and I tried spraying it with WD-40, but that did not unstop it. Do the caps have vent in them? Does it use the drain hose? I only have 900 more miles to get home, so I don't think it will be a big deal, but if it is a five minute fix, I will take a look at it now. Dang, somebody turned the heat up while I was gone! v