ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #226
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
check this link
http://cpmodem.smugmug.com/gallery/2...1190&k=9hfFZjV

'07 990A
'12 Super Tenere
Hootowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #227
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl View Post

Thanks! I will do that when I get home or before if I have to! I actually had a question since I been on the road about how the moto seemed to hesitate a lot at near constant speed. I could use the throttle lock and it would disappear, maybe this has been a problem for a while. I guess both are stopped up or will just the left side cause the problem?

Any ideas on unstopping the over flow line at the gas cap?
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #228
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,815
Maybe, blowing through the hole with the rubber on your fuel cap could unblock it?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #229
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I noticed that neither the Low Fuel light nor the high water temp light are flashing on when I turn the key on. The temp bars are working fine. Is there a common fuse to these two warning lights? Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #230
1BIGADV
Banned

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
That front wheel made it almost 600 miles today! Only 1,300 to go! Yes, there were times that I did not get off the moto for three plus hours. No, my butt is not hurting, but my knees are!
First time I've heard that from a KTM rider, I'm guessing with the mileage you do your butts not human
1BIGADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #231
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
My knees start complaining long before my rear do, but my fractured right hand is the real cry baby on long rides. It's getting better though.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #232
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I noticed that neither the Low Fuel light nor the high water temp light are flashing on when I turn the key on. The temp bars are working fine. Is there a common fuse to these two warning lights? Any ideas? Thanks!
My low fuel light come on today at 183 GPS miles! It held a little less than 4.4 gallons of fuel. But the light does not flash on when the key is turned on. Do I understand correctly that it is supposed to, as well as the high temp light?
Old 07-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #233
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
My low fuel light come on today at 183 GPS miles! It held a little less than 4.4 gallons of fuel. But the light does not flash on when the key is turned on. Do I understand correctly that it is supposed to, as well as the high temp light?
Just checked. Sitting on bike and reading so that was easy. Yes, fuel flashes and oil stays on until started

I was out to 150 miles on new bike yesterday and worried about light. Only put in 3.3 gallons. Avg 60 to 80 mph no panniers. Seems pretty good.

Don't think your light is working but you might have been right on edge of it coming on.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #234
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Just checked. Sitting on bike and reading so that was easy. Yes, fuel flashes and oil stays on until started

I was out to 150 miles on new bike yesterday and worried about light. Only put in 3.3 gallons. Avg 60 to 80 mph no panniers. Seems pretty good.

Don't think your light is working but you might have been right on edge of it coming on.
My low fuel light does not flash on when the key is turned on, but it is working when the fuel is down to .8 to 1.0 gallons. The oil light stays on till it is cranked, but the high water temp light is not flashing when the key is turned on.

Two 990ADVs!

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 06:58 PM
Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #235
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BIGADV View Post
First time I've heard that from a KTM rider, I'm guessing with the mileage you do your butts not human
I have the Seat Concepts modification with firm foam and Alaska Sheepskin. I done my normal today. 480 miles from my daughter's house to mine with two stops. The same I normally done on the R1100GS when starting with a full tank of gas. This would not be possible for me with the stock seat.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #236
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
If you aren't going to be doing that much off-road have you considered getting a DL650 Strom? Things are bullet proof and the engine is super reliable with a great reputation. Fully understand that the KTM is far superior off road but sounds like that isn't a big factor in your plans. I think as far as dependability the Suzuki would fill your needs better. I own a Strom and have ridden both the 950 and 990. Off road I'd take the KTM any day.....on road, give me the Strom. Plus I would think parts for the Suzuki are much easier to get than the KTM's.

Just some thoughts. Hope the Orange Crew doesn't show up at my place and burn it down!
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #237
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
My low fuel light does not flash on when the key is turned on, but it is working when the fuel is down to .8 to 1.0 gallons. The oil light stays on till it is cranked, but the high water temp light is not flashing when the key is turned on.

Two 990ADVs!
Yes, two for now! Probably back to one after Alaska trip.

Double checked on both. High temp never comes on.

Did 250 miles yesterday. Backside complained. Airhawk today, 410 miles. Almost no complaints. Seat concepts. Already ordered and madstad screen for second bike.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #238
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
If you aren't going to be doing that much off-road have you considered getting a DL650 Strom? Things are bullet proof and the engine is super reliable with a great reputation. Fully understand that the KTM is far superior off road but sounds like that isn't a big factor in your plans. I think as far as dependability the Suzuki would fill your needs better. I own a Strom and have ridden both the 950 and 990. Off road I'd take the KTM any day.....on road, give me the Strom. Plus I would think parts for the Suzuki are much easier to get than the KTM's.

Just some thoughts. Hope the Orange Crew doesn't show up at my place and burn it down!
Ground clearance, spoke wheels and quality suspension. The R1100GS would some times drag on topes. I will be doing a lot of two up touring down south. While I like the V-Stroms myself, I don't think it is up to the job that I need. For me, it boils down to the KTM, BMW 800/1200 GS/GSA or maybe the Super Tenere. Now, if I was touring solo, I would be on a new Dakar, KLR or DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Yes, two for now! Probably back to one after Alaska trip.

Double checked on both. High temp never comes on.

Did 250 miles yesterday. Backside complained. Airhawk today, 410 miles. Almost no complaints. Seat concepts. Already ordered and madstad screen for second bike.
For some reason my Low Fuel is not flashing, but as long as it comes on at the proper time, no problema. None of my business, but why the need for the second 990 for a trip to Alaska.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #239
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
While I will admit that KTM missed the media and marketing opportunity that was the 'Long Way Around,' I feel that it has nothing to do with the tolerancing of interfacing engine components or any other factor to do with the reliability of their motorcycles, be they 125cc 2-strokes or 1190cc V-twin 4-strokes.

I know personally of plenty of folks who have taken 950 and 990 LC8's literally around the world and/or well over the 80,000 mile mark with literally only valve adjustments and oil and filter changes. To assert or imply that any BMW built during the same timeframe of the 950-990 era is any more mechanically reliable is to reference oneself as remarkably uninformed at the very least...

EDIT: lastly, and in complete honesty, I challenge anyone to demonstrate that any equivalent bike(in terms of performance and 'fun factor') can carry on for as long as any 950 or 990 can in a reliable fashion while still retaining the badge of ability and versatility that they can. It simply does no exist int he motorcyle world - real, rally-able off-road ability with the same ability to be a street cruiser to many. Even if the lifespan, according to many, is ~50k miles, it's still a testament to how reliable it is withing that lifespan. While I respect other brands and models to be reliable, they simply will not ever deliver the same width of grin, as inevitably consistently, as the LC8 engine family and Adventure/SuperEnduro application has, to date...

The 1190 is an entirely new creature, it it remains to prove itself.
The German I met on the side of the road in Northern Argentina with a 1150 final drive failure seemed consoled by the fact his mating surface tolerances were in spec. He accepted a ride from me though he acknowledged he wouldn't enjoy it since my 950 has inferior tolerances.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #240
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

BTW, I did get home today on the damaged front wheel! 6,700 miles with no problems other than a drain hose stopping up and a fuel tank hose pulling loose. Total mileage is a little over 27,000 miles. The suspension worked very very well! It was noticeably better than the R1100GS and had great fuel mileage as long as the GPS speed is kept below 75MPH. It handled two people just as well as riding solo. I really hope the moto continues trouble free because it performed very well! I do have a lot of stuff I need to do to prep it for the next trip!