Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #241
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Interesting the 650 Suzuki has been mentioned, sweet engine. After motocross racing my first middle/ big bike ride was a hired 650 touring around the UK. Just felt like a kid again with the world out there to explore. Magic hasn't worn off yet.

Milage. Yes, discovered this yesterday. Speed was upped to 80-90mph average on the I 80 through Iowa and then on the i80 in Nebraska they don't even settle for that, at 90mph you're being passed regularly. Fuel economy took a big dive from the 70moh riding day before. Probably 45-47mpg down to high 30's. okay though!

2 x 990. 2nd one is for friends arriving next wee from Oz. Well, seeing as the new one is like a brand new bike it's now my ride

I've discovers the snatchy throttle. Simple solution. I took the slack out of cable without even stopping the bike. Instant change back to same as first 990 and no FI problems at all.

Donnie.. I saw somewhere on OC a guy was talking about a 100hp smaller KTM allegedly coming out. If they did produce a lighter say 800cc twin tuned up to 100hp and getting great fuel economy and a little more tank capacity say 6-7 gallons kept down low like now I'd be pre ordering and putting up with new bike bugs if needed. Guess we will see.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #242
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Elkhorn WI. Tuesday morning. Orange beak and orange fork protectors will go on flea market. Blue front fender and OEM screen put on just to transport them home.

I'm liking the flouro jacket and helmet. Much more chance of everyone texting and driving actually seeing you.

Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #243
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Elkhorn WI. Tuesday morning. Orange beak and orange fork protectors will go on flea market. Blue front fender and OEM screen put on just to transport them home.

I'm liking the flouro jacket and helmet. Much more chance of everyone texting and driving actually seeing you.

Nice ride!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #244
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,222
Glad you made it back safely DWJ... Touch and go there for a bit. After you settle in, and in no great hurry... we'll love to hear your impressions and afterthoughts of the bike. In your typically brutal honesty.

Cheers!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #245
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Glad you made it back safely DWJ... Touch and go there for a bit. After you settle in, and in no great hurry... we'll love to hear your impressions and afterthoughts of the bike. In your typically brutal honesty.

Cheers!
I had already written the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
BTW, I did get home today on the damaged front wheel! 6,700 miles with no problems other than a drain hose stopping up and a fuel tank hose pulling loose. Total mileage is a little over 27,000 miles. The suspension worked very very well! It was noticeably better than the R1100GS and had great fuel mileage as long as the GPS speed is kept below 75MPH. It handled two people just as well as riding solo. I really hope the moto continues trouble free because it performed very well! I do have a lot of stuff I need to do to prep it for the next trip!
To that I will add. There is the issue with the Low Fuel Light not flashing on start up, but works when it is supposed to. It seemed to lose 1/4" of water in the over flow reservoir during the trip. I noticed it half way through the trip and it did not change anymore, so it may be that it is operator error. I plan on changing the shaft and seal due to the history of these units and because I would rather change the first one in my garage than on side of the road some where. I will also change the O-Ring on the clutch slave. I should have several in the mail that an Inmate sent me. Reason for changing is to do the first one in my garage. I have fuel filters ordered from an Inmate as well. I will probably make these PM items.

To add again, while I have some reservations about the KTM's reliability for heavy use and would have never purchased it to do what I am about to do. It done remarkably well on the trip! The suspension is top notch in my book, it handles two people very well and one great! It made the topes smoooooth!

It will get an Excel rim superlaced, a little bit of new plastic and will be back to Mexico within two months!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #246
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am looking into my tank venting problem from the trip and let me first say, I think that I caused the problem. But I have some confusion. My hoses are not like the one in the Flapendectomy Pictorial I was sent. That pictorial shows hoses running from the tank vent down the sides of the radiator. Both of my tank vents go to a container located in the left panel that the turn signal is mounted to, There is a hose that runs from that container to behind the radiator somewhere. What is in that container? The reason I think I caused the venting problem is that when the drain stopped up, I thought the tube inside the gas cap tunnel was for over flow and I shot some WD-40 in there trying to open it up? Not until I saw the Flapendectomy pictures did I realize my mistake.

Anyway, someone please explain the container behind the left panel. Is there any reason to eliminate it? What does it do?

I do plan on doing the Flapendectomy. Does removing the "ears" increase the possibility of water entering?

Thanks!

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 03:02 PM
Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #247
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

The right drain line is stopped up, the left is fine. Rain fills up the cavity and when you open the cap, breaking the seal, it allows water to enter your gas! I resorted to covering the cap with a plastic bag while parked in the rain on the Mexico trip to help with this, but no doubt, some water got in the gas! I have blew compressed air through it some, but have not un-stopped it. Ideas? Does this go to a charcoal canister? Don't some folks eliminate this?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #248
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I been back out looking at the stopped up drain. A very small amount of gas actually went through the drain, but I am not for sure where it came out. Some water had came out somewhere when I was blowing air in the line earlier. When the left side drains, it is running down the tank from the inside in the area of the fuel pump. There are two drain hoses at the clutch slave cylinder, one small and one larger. A small amount of gas MAY have come out of the smaller line. How is all of this supposed to work? It seems like a drain line has come off somewhere and another has a kink in it. Does the drain lines go directly to the ground or does it pass through something like a charcoal canister? Inquiring minds want to know? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #249
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
It's hard telling what has been done to your bike, but here is what it looked like from the factory, and what most guys do to "fix" it...
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...terectomy.html

Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #250
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
It's hard telling what has been done to your bike, but here is what it looked like from the factory, and what most guys do to "fix" it...

That is the way mine is hooked up! I think I caused the venting issue when I sprayed WD-40 into the vent pipe thinking it was an overflow pipe. I used a spare key to open the left gas cap from time to time on the way home and had no further issues with it. There was WD-40 still in the hose running to the canister from the right tank today. I think that I am going to cut the flaps on the gas caps and see if the problem returns. So many of the canister removal direction are different, I find it a bit intimidating. So I may leave that part alone for now.

One I read talks about building some type electrical component, but another seems to suggest that you can simply vent the tanks to the environment and plug the hose going to the air valve.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #251
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

My list for updates, spares, modification as of July 18, 2013 at 27,256 miles include:

CJDesigns SS Oil Drain Tube with my modification- Completed

Spare Fork Seal - On Moto

Adjusting Steering Stops - Completed

Convert Rear Wheel to Tubeless - Completed - will need to re-do since repair melted some of the Goop.

Anti Siege the Axle Adjusting Bolts - Completed

Trim Mudguard that is hitting Swingarm - Completed

Drill Drainage holes in Swingarm - ???

Loctite and Torque Screws on Plastic Chain Slider protector - Completed

2 Fuel Filter Kits from gefr - order when I return from Mexico - install one upon arrival and have other as a spare, establish as 20,000 - 30,000 mile PM - One filter kit ordered from gefr.

Spare fuel pump from gefr - order when I return

Order Water Pump rebuild kit from ???

Purchase Crashbar Bags from akarob???

Purchase under seat tray from hontri - when I return

Received spare O-Rings for clutch slave cylinder from yellowbronco - will change one before the next trip.

Flapendectomy - Completed

Please offer advise as to included items and/or items to include.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #252
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Is there a schematic like this for the over flow drains from the filler caps tunnels?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #253
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
The ones on the front of the tank are plumbed internally to the caps. Hit it with some compressed air to clear it out if it's clogged.
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...endectomy.html
Old 07-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #254
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
The ones on the front of the tank are plumbed internally to the caps. Hit it with some compressed air to clear it out if it's clogged.
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...endectomy.html
From the first time I serviced my 950A the tech routed these hoses upwards first and then to the sump. These in USA bikes connect to the cannister, so no fuel vapours are released to the atmosphere.
The hoses connected to the bike of the fuel tanks, are for fuel and water collected to the fuel tap area.
The left tank one should be routed to the clutch together with the air filter box drainage hose.
The right one goes to the sump, passing through the frame. As both work with gravity, they should be bent gently.
IMHO if these two hoses are not kinked, flapendectomy is not necessary. It creates the possibility of loosing fuel if the bike takes a nap.

Drilling the wishbone, releases water that collects in there. You will be surprised how much that is. Salt and galvanic corrosion can built up in there, sticking together the chain adjusting bolts.
Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August

gefr screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 11:34 PM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #255
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
From the first time I serviced my 950A the tech routed these vapour release hoses upwards first and then to the sump. These in USA bikes connect to the cannister, so no fuel vapours are released to the atmosphere.
The hoses connected to the inside of the fuel tank, are for spilling fuel and water collected to the fuel tap area.
The left tank one should be routed to the clutch together with the air filter box drainage hose.
The right one goes to the sump, passing through the frame. As both work with gravity, they should be bent gently.

Is there a photo of this?

IMHO if vapour release hoses are not kinked, flapendectomy is not necessary. It creates the possibility to loosing fuel if the bike takes a nap.

Drilling the wishbone, releases water that collects in there. You will be surprised how much that is. Salt and galvanic corrosion can built up in there, sticking together the chain adjusting bolts.
Cheers.
Thanks!