ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #271
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Harbor Freight $7-8 for a set of color coded sized sockets.

Thanks!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #272
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

A Bind in my Throttle Cable???

I have this in a seperate Thread as well.

My valve adjustment went well. I had let it warm to four bars on temp three times, blipped the throttle a number of times and every thing was fine. So, I left to go visit my dad. About 20 miles from home I needed to stop for a bit of road construction and when I was leaving, the moto did not want to accelerate very quickly. It also idled between 2,000 and 3,000 RPMs, plus the FI light came on. The failure to accelerate is the manner it had acted when the hose going to the canister was filled with gas. At least that is what I though caused it, opening a gas cap solved the problem. So, I stopped and opened both gas caps, closed one and noticed that while it continued to idle high, it accelerated well and the FI light went out. When passing through the next town it was idling at 5,000 RPMs and the FI light came back on and one cap was open. I stopped and hooked the canister back up, but that helped nothing! I headed back home. By now it would idle at 7,000 plus if you let it. I used a lot of brakes coming home to control my speed. The FI light was on the entire time. I did find that if I put a bit of pressure on closing the throttle, it would help lower the RPMS. The slowest I could get it was 45MPH in 6th gear. If I tightened the cables at the grip, I could slow it more than if the had slack.

Wow!!! I am going to have lunch and begin checking for a bind in the throttle linkage. But why would the FI light come on? Why did it have the huge hesitation to accelerate? I have new fuel filters on the way. The moto has over 27,000 miles and they have never been changed. Also, it would crank very slow at times, could this be connected?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #273
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am embarrassed to tell y'all what the problem was, but here goes! I LEFT ONE OF THE NAPKINS IN THE THROTTLE BODY THAT I PUT THERE TO KEEP ANYTHING FROM FALLING IN! It could not close because the napkin would not let it close! I thought that I was being Super Careful, but apparently, I was not!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #274
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 876
I did a similar thing to my Aprilia Tuono once.

Very embarassing !
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #275
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
And, of course, there are the times when we forgot to remove the plugs in our exhausts after washing.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #276
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Another post to help this thread to get back on track-

I replaced my first speedo at about 33k miles-the face was mysteriously cracked one day. Took me while to catch the culprit- I was parking outside at work and one day I noticed a bird pecking at the reflection!

Second odo is showing around 91K miles.

Motor's been apart three times. At 45k to replace 4th gear-wouldn't stay in gear due to rounded dogs. At 70k to do a "valve job"-simply cut new seats and ground the stock valves, etc. No new parts were used besides gaskets/seals/shims. Again, at 110k, on a 'round the country trip when a chunk broke out of the shift drum (replaced in an inmates garage, in Alabama! ).

I'm on my third swingarm. First one broke catastrophically early on, KTM was kind enough to replace the second when I found cracks a year later. 3rd one is the "updated" version and has been holding the bike up nicely since.

Lost count of wheel bearings, but only on my second set of steering head bearings. Rear spoke failed on the same 4 corners tour as the shift drun, as did the clutch booster ass'y. I forgot when the clutch slave died (running a Oberon now).

For all it's foibles, this has been the best bike I've owned in 30+ bikes. I plan on keeping the bastard on the road till it breaks in half or blows chunks out of the bottom of the cases!

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #277
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post

I replaced my first speedo at about 33k miles-the face was mysteriously cracked one day. Took me while to catch the culprit- I was parking outside at work and one day I noticed a bird pecking at the reflection!

Motor's been apart three times. At 45k to replace 4th gear-wouldn't stay in gear due to rounded dogs. At 70k to do a "valve job"-simply cut new seats and ground the stock valves, etc. No new parts were used besides gaskets/seals/shims. Again, at 110k, on a 'round the country trip when a chunk broke out of the shift drum (replaced in an inmates garage, in Alabama! ).

I'm on my third swingarm. First one broke catastrophically early on, KTM was kind enough to replace the second when I found cracks a year later. 3rd one is the "updated" version and has been holding the bike up nicely since.

Lost count of wheel bearings, but only on my second set of steering head bearings. Rear spoke failed on the same 4 corners tour as the shift drun, as did the clutch booster ass'y. I forgot when the clutch slave died (running a Oberon now).

For all it's foibles, this has been the best bike I've owned in 30+ bikes. I plan on keeping the bastard on the road till it breaks in half or blows chunks out of the bottom of the cases!

Wow! That is a lot of history!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #278
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

That was just the cliff notes version!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #279
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post

Impressive! 950 or 990? Year?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #280
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Mine's a "04" 9-fiddy. Bought from the "factory"-it was a demo bike and had 1800 miles on it when I bought it in Sep 04.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #281
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
I think this is gonna be my favorite thread!!!

And like a fine wine... the older the better!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #282
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
And like a fine wine... the older the better!
I'll drink to that as I turn 72 this week. My 07 has 25K miles. I think it will outlast me.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #283
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Major Props!!!

Quote:
I'll drink to that as I turn 72 this week. My 07 has 25K miles. I think it will outlast me.
72!!!, Still riding!!! On a KTM Adventure!!! That's Fugh'in AWESOME!!!!!

And I'd say you've got at least another 100k in ya!

We should all be so lucky / brave!!!

Congrats.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #284
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
72!!!, Still riding!!! On a KTM Adventure!!! That's Fugh'in AWESOME!!!!!

And I'd say you've got at least another 100k in ya!

We should all be so lucky / brave!!!

Congrats.

He is my hero!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #285
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
^ win
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote