ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #361
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 471
How do you do it Donnie? All these big changes going on in your life and you still manage to put away 8000 miles in just over 3 months!

I love your travel plans. Keep it going! Great reading your posts.

Regarding your rear rotor, I find it hard to see how a wobbly back wheel would wear the floating rotor more quickly. But whatever, it sounds like it's loose alright. As you know, it's meant to 'float' sideways but I'm sure that you can tell if it's going to fall off or not. Time to buy a new one sometime soon perhaps?
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #362
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICERIDER View Post
How do you do it Donnie? All these big changes going on in your life and you still manage to put away 8000 miles in just over 3 months!

Regarding your rear rotor, I find it hard to see how a wobbly back wheel would wear the floating rotor more quickly. But whatever, it sounds like it's loose alright. As you know, it's meant to 'float' sideways but I'm sure that you can tell if it's going to fall off or not. Time to buy a new one sometime soon perhaps?

I think the caliper floats from side to side, not the rotor.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #363
IndyChizzle
Inspired by Trevor W

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I leave for south Mexico in the morning. I will be gone about five weeks. I will have SPOT on:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=08YfgyM3oIdvUmMIJWYP8AtBSgg9Y4C kA
I tried tracking your spot feed, but it gave me an error message. Something like "there is no displayable messages for this feed."

Have fun!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #364
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
I tried tracking your spot feed, but it gave me an error message. Something like "there is no displayable messages for this feed."

Have fun!
Sorry! I have not been more than 30 miles from Ana's house so I have not had the tank bag on that carries the SPOT. WE will be taking a trip here in the near future and I will have it on. Thanks for following!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #365
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Quote:
I think the caliper floats from side to side, not the rotor.

Yes you're correct Donnie, the caliper does float side to side. It has to because the pistons are only on the outside so to apply force to the inside pads the caliper body must be free to float.

The rotor on your bike does also float, but what I should have said to be more accurate is that the rotor 'does' float side to side due to free play rather than it is 'meant' to. As I understand it the main purpose of this mounting system is to allow the rotor to expand off the carrier and not distort during heat cycles.

This thread covers some alternative rear rotors and mentions the EBC on a Super Enduro. Not sure if their rear will take an ABS ring though.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #366
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

A lot has been going on for sure! These last two and a half years have been surreal! While I have a new lady in my life, the one of 40 years will never be forgotten and never un-loved! The high mileage is mostly due to the fact that round trip from Mississippi to Ana's house is 4,100 miles. So in reality, I only visited her twice. But, now I live with Ana, so when I come to the states, I will be visiting. The most frustrating thing since my wife's death has been disposing of her things to family and friends as I know she would have wanted. Sheryl had a LOTS of STUFF and that has often been a weary task! At times depressing, but at the same time almost therapeuticalal. Selling the house was no problem. I did not use Realtor, nor did I advertise. My neighbors sold my house and found themselves great neighbors in the process! As far as life after the sell, there really is no set plan! There are rough travel outlines, but nothing more. I have near infinite flexibility and can travel at will. Will I eventually have a house? Probably. Where? Probably Mexico. But the funds from the sale of my house in the US are invested and awaiting me should I decide to purchase another home in the states.

I have spent much of my life planning, my reward for this is that I no longer have to plan! Within reason, if I want it or want to do it, I can! Sheryl and I built that platform. Unfortunately, only one of us gets to enjoy it today! But, life does go on!
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #367
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #368
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Thanks for explaining Donnie. Sounds like a great idea you are working on there. Pleased things are working out to your liking. You're an example to me and many others I'm sure of how to get on with life. Out there doing it. Thanks for bringing us along, also for raising your many questions and shareing your experiences on this thread. Good luck with your new home and travels.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #369
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 856
FOOOOORRRREEEEVVVEEER. My 950 adventure has 30,500 on the clock. cams started to pit well before 18k. still running them since ktm says its "cosmetic wear". And my bike was ass raped by a honda accord in april. im riding still (after a bit of work).

1989 Yamaha TW200 - clapped out from a tweaker
1978 Batavus 48 - back from the dead. Parked since 83'
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #370
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #371
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

This has nothing to do with KTM or riding, but I posted it on my FaceBook yesterday.

WOW! My kid is 40 years old today! I think that she has just about caught up to me. We are not having any flooding in the local area, but we continue to get a lot of rain. My knee has gotten much better! Ana and I walked 3.6 miles from her house to the edge of town this morning for lunch and to call Tracy. We will also walk back. This is some pretty intense walking on a rough mountain road!

Today: We did walk the 3.6 miles back without problems for my knee. I wished that I could say that for the rest of my body! WOW! Was I tired. Then I climbed up to the ranch today. That made yesterday seem like a walk in the park! I was so tired by the time I got there that I did very little word. And then I had to climb back down!

I am in Escuitla now to purchase a fan for Ana's 10 year old nephew. He is also with me.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #372
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Awe! Thanks for the news. Sounds like you really have a great life in front of you. New family connections to learn about and new culture. Never too late!

Keep walking. Mind you I'm giving you all this wisdom whilst I'm sipping Chilean Gran Tarapaca Reserva looking out at a blizzard so I won't be embarking on my get-fit program today. Always tomorrow! But then, you are the kick up the ........ I need. Out there doing it.

Well I got a load of bits in the airmail today to take to Chile next week so that's a step forward at least. Need to go over my new to me 950SE and get it ready for the summer. Meet a couple of inmates in Santiago and get a few thousand miles on her. Get her up tp speed for the Dakar chase in January. Keep walking Donnie!
Old 09-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #373
Jaimoto
Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Meet a couple of inmates in Santiago and get a few thousand miles on her
You're drinking a gran tarapaca but you'll miss tomorrow's ride !
Got my email?

Jaime

Big, Loud and Orange KTM 990 Adv
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #374
disconnected
anti click

Oddometer: 7,250
do you ever miss youre R1100GS? I had one previously and I am now researching the big LC8 KTMs for two up..

greg
Old 09-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #375
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
You know, before you start suggesting someone is a liar, you should at least check their Profile, maybe see if they have done any Ride Reports. No, I did not ride 40,000 miles, each of the last two years. I rode 51,091 miles in 2011 and 37,992 miles in 2012. The high during the last ten years was 52,000 and the low was 32,000 miles.

No, I don't need to work. Over 32 years in the tire and tube manufacturing business with jobs spanning janitor work to General Plant Manager along the way. It may also be a lie, but I think I earned a MBA. Most importantly, good retirement benefits along with the intellect to invest and capitalize on the stock market worked to my advantage. I am not "rich" by my standards, but I am comfortable.

There are riders with a lot more miles than me. But I have rode a fair amount. Since I came home in April I sold a Goldwing with 242,000 miles that I purchased new. A KLR with 87,000 miles that I purchased with 840 miles on it. A KLX250S with, I believe 8,100 that I purchased with 1,503 miles, and I just sold a R1100GS with 103,000 on the odometer and 7,000 documented with a GPS while the speedo cable was broken. It had 28,000 on it when purchased. What about you? Have you been riding any?

Given that I have only read of a few 950/990s with more than 40,000 miles on them and given how much I ride, I think the question is very reasonable. I did not originally purchase this moto to be my only bike and was not intending on it being a 40,000 mile per year moto. But, I did not plan on my wife of 38 years dying, nor did I plan on selling my house and living on the road.

I don't feel any reason to justify a damn thing to you, but if you are curious, check out some of these Ride Reports:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876310

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802682

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596373

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767492

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750875

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615106

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708584

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650267

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729277

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392321

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466441

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550086

You might not want to be quite as quick to openly question someone's honesty on a public forum, you just might make an ass of yourself. But, if you come down to Mississippi before I leave, we can go riding!

Other than when I lived in Texas and worked in Mexico, where I occasionally rode my moto to work, I have very rarely used the motos to commute to work.

TOUCHE!!!!!! and whats your moms madien name? Met a gentleman at the Gorge one year he had 30-40k on his KLR in one year. He did that regular like.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote