Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #31
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski View Post
My 04 will endure . I'm hoping that it will one day hit the 100,000 mark with only regular maintiance and some usual wear items. So far, a rebuilt water pump , oil pressure sensor, molded oil pipe / valve and Oberon clutch upgrade has happened. Pretty darn good . On my next valve check I'll be upgrading the oil pressure bypass valve and checking all my hoses and fuel lines for faults.

My guess on doing high miles yearly will not be an issue for you. I think the worst thing you can do to a bike is let it sit., seems thats when running issues happen.

I hope that you do!

I read all of Pydon's thread on his moto. While I am not too impressed with the total engine over haul including the crank-cases being replaced, it seems that most of the faulty issues have been addressed by KTM during the preceding years, including some dowels that may eliminate the reason his cases were replaced. I guess the problem from my perspective is that not many of these motos are used as Adventure Tourers, which is how I will use mine. There is no doubt that I will be adding miles pretty quickly, or I will when I sell my house! Maybe I will answer my own question, of course one moto whether it has a good experience or bad, does not establish an average or an expected life span. I really like my KTM and if it performs to my expectation as an acceptable tool, it will get replaced by another KTM. They havetubelesss wheels now and all kinds of electronic aids, if they can just get one of those eight plus gallon gas tanks, I will be very happy!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
The only thing I would recommend is going back to the stock paper oil filter. I say this because its a great way to tell when your water pump seal is starting to fail. Carry your stainless one as a back up to get you to an area where you can rebuild the water pump. IMO these motors are solid.
woodchuckexc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #33
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuckexc View Post
The only thing I would recommend is going back to the stock paper oil filter. I say this because its a great way to tell when your water pump seal is starting to fail. Carry your stainless one as a back up to get you to an area where you can rebuild the water pump. IMO these motors are solid.

I have heard other people say water in the oil is the reason to run the SS filter. If it is paper, it will not let oil pass through when wet and can damage the engine. I know what water looks like in oil. My KLR, someone here don't think I had, liked to take a dip on occasion. That took three oil changes to clean out!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #34
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just finished installing the CJ Designs oil drain tube. I still have to cut the aluminum bracket and install studs for the front of the crash bars. Trying to make it a bit more maintenance friendly!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #35
DavidQ
We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer: 1,966
Donnie,

I will be out of town this weekend but if you need any help working on the bike after that, I will be glad to come up and give you a hand. Any idea how long it will be before you are back on the road?
Colorado / Utah 2011
NM, CO, UT, AZ 2012
DavidQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #36
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ View Post
Donnie,

I will be out of town this weekend but if you need any help working on the bike after that, I will be glad to come up and give you a hand. Any idea how long it will be before you are back on the road?

Hi David!

Thanks for the offer! I may take off again in a few weeks, but it will only be for a month. Then back to getting this house sold. Anyone need a nice four bedroom brick house with a 28 x 34 garage located on 2/3 acre of land. It is located in the premiere location of this small town!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #37
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBigfoot View Post
7k in two weeks is not 40k average for 10 years.
I'm fully aware poeple can rack up a lot of miles on their bikes, that's not my beef. In this case it just seams there are too many bikes, too many miles in too short of time that's all. Won't be the first time, nor the last, I've been wrong though.

Poor noob.

You need to post less and lurk a LOT more. A few months without spurting off would have introduced you to Donnie in a way that would keep you from getting publicly socked in the bollcoks.

why don't you go make us some sandwiches?

(then go stand in the corner until you're needed)

Donnie, now that you've sold the 1100, how did you find it?

Threads like these leave me nervous about the KTM I will have one day.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461267
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #38
ColoradoBigfoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I questioned Donnie's milage, big deal. He put on his big boy pants and addressed my "challenge". He replied with facts that support his claim.
If we, as people with a culture of language, are unwilling to challenge unusual claims of grandure then what is the point of communiction? Are we all to remian silent if we are not in lock-step with an opinion or statement? In the end Donnie got to tell us his story, which I'm sure he likes to do (wouldn't we all if we covered the miles he has). I, even though it does not matter two hoots to anybody but me, "believe" his high milage claims now. Ooooh I was wrong how terrible

Hey Bobbysands, thanks for your input. Your writing is so well thought out and original......reminds me of a woman who is watching her boyfriend about to get into a fight and is yelling obcinities and agrivating the situation from behind. Nice job.
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #39
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Poor noob.

You need to post less and lurk a LOT more. A few months without spurting off would have introduced you to Donnie in a way that would keep you from getting publicly socked in the bollcoks.

why don't you go make us some sandwiches?

(then go stand in the corner until you're needed)

Donnie, now that you've sold the 1100, how did you find it?

Threads like these leave me nervous about the KTM I will have one day.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461267

Hi Bobby!

Maybe he was just having a bad day! If you are referring to how I found the KTM, I purchased it from an Inmate about two years ago. It has only had 15,000 miles put on it since I bought it because I have been Adventure Touring on the R1100GS and the KLR. I even did one 10,000 mile ride on the Goldwing! Actually, I did not buy the KTM to do long range touring, but that is what it is going to do! I am a bit skittish about the KTM, but in reading Pydon's thread about his moto, it seems like almost every problem he has had, has been up-graded by KTM before mine was built. So time will tell!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #40
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,225
Nothing ventured nothing gained...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
My only moto is now the 2007 990ADV. Please speak up you high mileage 990 owners! I need your wisdom!
O.K., I admit I don't have 50K on my 950 S... Funny, I didn't buy it at all to ride on pavement. Although I adventure tour and like a twin for the long stretches between the trails. My 950 was a step up from my Transalp, which was also not meant to be a pavement pusher.

I've got about half the miles you require... Originally I was "saving" my mileage for dirt adventures as I think most people did when they first bought the KTM Adventure. But a funny thing happened on the way to the grocery store, the liquor store, the drug store... and everywhere else in between. I was always wanting to ride the KTM.

So I eventually gave in to the bike's pavement prowess and now even ride it into the office whenever the weather is good.

And I do some pretty fun long distance adventure rides with it regularly just to legitimize my ownership of it.

And I've done about a decade's worth of studying about the bike through ownership/ manufacture forums/ plenty of tech discussions with 950 rallye mechanics/ KTM product techs / all the aftermarket manufacturers... even chats with Pyn. All this to come up with my own little insight to this enchanting magic carpet ride on 2 wheels.

I think the bike runs fairly dependable in 25K mile cycles. During that time the typical basic "faire" (weak parts) generally requires replacements or upgrades... as listed in the HOW ( The "faire" has pretty much been listed so I'll spare you the details). And most of that "faire" is good for another 25K cycle of use. And of course this doesn't account for regular maintenance which is on it's own schedule.

I think you could get your 100K out of the bike and thoroughly enjoy it. But I would also think you'd want to have a nice set of spares of the usual "faire" as carryon during your travels. Or I'd also be aware of KTM parts accessibility along your routes when coinsidering using the 25K replacement cycles. ( Here's where I get creamed by the gallery... I'm not saying a stock slave oring will actually last 25k, or a stock fuel pump, balancer shaft seal... etc. I'm saying bring those along or have access because within that period experience tells us THEY WILL.)

I don't think the 990 Adventure was originally intended to ride as maintenance free as a "Goldwing", but it has come a long ways since it's first release. But all of it's nuances are fairly common knowledge and the envelope of the bike certainly has a higher ceiling then most of us realize.

You would be one of the trail blazers if you can roll 100k miles on the odometer in a short time, say a year or two. And I'll be one to watch and follow what your experiences gather.

I'd say it's probably the perfect bike in between a KLR 650 and a GS12. Certainly more manueverable then the GS, but not as comfortable on the straight and narrow. Heavier at a standstill to the KLR 650 but smoother at speed and over the bumps.

You can always put 60K miles on your 990 and then buy a demo 1190 Adv after they've been out for a while... if you feel the need for a smoother ride at high speed cruise.

But I think you're in for a great time... we should all be so lucky... and envious.

I say prove us all fools.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 11:49 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #41
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
O.K., I admit I don't have 50K on my 950 S... Funny, I didn't buy it at all to ride on pavement. Although I adventure tour and like a twin for the long stretches between the trails. My 950 was a step up from my Transalp, which was also not meant to be a pavement pusher.

I've got about half the miles you require... Originally I was "saving" my mileage for dirt adventures as I think most people did when they first bought the KTM Adventure. But a funny thing happened on the way to the grocery store, the liquor store, the drug store... and everywhere else in between. I was always wanting to ride the KTM.

So I eventually gave in to the bike's pavement prowess and now even ride it into the office whenever the weather is good.

And I do some pretty fun long distance adventure rides with it regularly just to legitimize my ownership of it.

And I've done a decades worth of studying about the bike through manufacture forums/ plenty of tech discussions with 950 rallye mechanics, KTM product techs, all the aftermarket manufacturers... even chats with Pyn. All this to come up with my own little insight to this enchanting magic carpet ride on 2 wheels.

I think the bike runs fairly dependable in 25K mile cycles. During that time the typical basic "faire" (weak parts) generally requires replacements or upgrades... as listed in the HOW ( The "faire" has pretty much been listed so I'll spare you the details). And most of that "faire" is good for another 25K cycle of use. And of course this doesn't account for regular maintenance which is on it's own schedule.

I think you could get your 100K out of the bike and thoroughly enjoy it. But I would also think you'd want to have a nice set of spares of the usual "faire" as carryon during your travels. Or I'd also be aware of KTM parts accessibility along your routes when coinsidering using the 25K replacement cycles.

I don't think the 990 Adventure was originally intended to ride as maintenance free as a "Goldwing", but it has come a long ways since it's first release. But all of it's nuances are fairly common knowledge and the envelope of the bike certainly has a higher ceiling then most of us realize.

You would be one of the trail blazers if you can roll 100k miles on the odometer in a short time, say a year or two. And I'll be one to watch and follow what your experiences gather.

I'd say it's probably the perfect bike in between a KLR 650 and a GS12. Certainly more manueverable then the GS, but not as comfortable on the straight and narrow. Heavier at a standstill to the KLR 650 but smoother at speed and over the bumps.

You can always put 60K miles on your 990 and then buy a demo 1190 Adv after they've been out for a while... if you feel the need for a smoother ride at high speed cruise.

But I think you're in for a great time... we should all be so lucky... and envious.

I say prove us all fools.

I'm asking questions, but I already have the moto and I ain't selling it! We will see!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #42
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
I don't know how many miles to expect out of my 990 but I will be a very happy and fortunate fellow if life allows me to see 70,000+ miles on it! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBigfoot View Post
...If we, as people with a culture of language, are unwilling to challenge unusual claims of grandure then what is the point of communiction? Are we all to remian silent if we are not in lock-step with an opinion or statement?
There are lots of reason to communicate other than to question anothers honesty. If someone makes a statement as fact that I believe may be false and their statement matters to me then sure I'd question it otherwise proof is not required. For example if someone claimed they got 80mpg after pissing into their MC tank after a night of drinking I'd laugh but not call them out... unless it was my MC tank they were trying to piss into. ;)
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #43
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
I don't know how many miles to expect out of my 990 but I will be a very happy and fortunate fellow if life allows me to see 70,000+ miles on it! :)

There are lots of reason to communicate other than to question anothers honesty. If someone makes a statement as fact that I believe may be false and their statement matters to me then sure I'd question it otherwise proof is not required. For example if someone claimed they got 80mpg after pissing into their MC tank after a night of drinking I'd laugh but not call them out... unless it was my MC tank they were trying to piss into. ;)
There it is. If it really doesn't matter, then let it roll.
I've been married almost 25 years. I wish I could remember that line of thought more often, instead of arguing with my wife about stuff that really doesn't make a difference in the long run. I should shut TFU, and let it roll.

OTOH, arguing about camping and riding with the boys, instead of working on the house and property like I *should* be doing? Well worth the argument, because I NEED to go do this, without a valid reason, except just that.

Anyway, sometimes it's just more polite to shut up.
If you don't believe it and think the claim is full of shit.....then get a good laugh in your head, let it go, and go for a good ride!!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #44
ColoradoBigfoot
Adventurer

hi windblown, that is preciecly why I questioned Donnie's milage...I thought, based on my MC experiance, that this was an unusual amount of ground covered on a motorcycle in the time frame presented. I'd venture to guess top 5% in the world of riders. In retrospect, if I had a do-over, I would leave out the jab about his question being stupid. But, as I said in my original post, this topic brought out the inner grumpiness in me. Why?
All I can point to is that I thought Donnie sounded like a braggart. He seemed to mention his milage too often. Compound that with my belief that anyone who rides that much and still does not know what bikes are available to compliment his style of riding has to be BS'ing me on some level.
Still, I'm amazed by Donnie's ability to rack up the miles.I generated a map of North America. Upon that map I drafted a continuous line representing a "route". I made this line 38k miles in length (figuring this was as the crow flies and does not account for topography). Granted, this was rudamentory, but 38k will take you from...
Miss. down through interior Mexico, all the way around S. America, back up through Mexico, then west to Cali, up and around the State of Alaska then eastward following US boundary until returning back to Miss.
That's a friggin' long way!
Has Donnie been profiled in any MC publications? Should be.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #45
ColoradoBigfoot
Adventurer

I must add, I was not fair or justified in my "braggart" diagnostics. It was just an unconcious "trigger" that released my inner grumpiness. Never said I was perfect. I will say this however, I will never shut-up or keep my mouth shut when I have something to say. Regardless if other posters disagree with my views.