ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #106
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,686
My list for updates, spares, modification include:

CJDesigns SS Oil Drain Tube with my modification- Completed

Spare Fork Seal - On Moto

Adjusting Steering Stops - Completed - Went riding today, MUCH BETTER!

Convert Rear Wheel to Tubeless - In Process

Anti Siege the Axle Adjusting Bolts - Completed

Trim Mudguard that is hitting Swingarm - Completed

Drill Drainage holes in Swingarm - ???

Loctite and Torque Screws on Plastic Chain Slider protector - Completed

2 Fuel Filter Kits from gefr - order when I return from Mexico - install one upon arrival and have other as a spare, establish as 20,000 - 30,000 mile PM

Spare fuel pump from gefr - order when I return

Convert rear wheel to tubeless with Goop - ???

Order Water Pump rebuild kit from ???

Purchase Crashbar Bags from akarob???

Purchase under seat tray from hontri - when I return

Please offer advise as to included items and/or items to include.

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 07:40 PM
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #107
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,813
You can order a wp rebuilt kit from

CJdesigns the cryohardened part, or the OEM upgraded kit with the carboned black steel, or even install the hole wp assy from the later 990 including a longer shaft, new shape impeller and new wp housing.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #108
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
CJdesigns the cryohardened part, or the OEM upgraded kit with the carboned black steel, or even install the hole wp assy from the later 990 including a longer shaft, new shape impeller and new wp housing.
Cheers.
Thanks! I will probably get the CJDesigns kit.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #109
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was doing some of the things suggested in the Welcome new 9x0 owners! Things you need to know about your new bike. When I went to loctite and re-torque the Chain Guide Bolts I found a situation like this:

Is there a non-essential bucket and bolt like the one being used some where else on the 2007 990ADV that I can use till I source the parts?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #110
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I was doing some of the things suggested in the Welcome new 9x0 owners! Things you need to know about your new bike. When I went to loctite and re-torque the Chain Guide Bolts I found a situation like this:

Is there a non-essential bucket and bolt like the one being used some where else on the 2007 990ADV that I can use till I source the parts?

The buckets holding the splash guard on are the same. And the bolt holding the splash guard will work if it is not too long.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #111
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The buckets holding the splash guard on are the same. And the bolt holding the splash guard will work if it is not too long.

My parts substitution worked just fine! Plus I put a new SS bolt andaluminumm bucket in thesplashh guard. I will replace those when I need to order other KTM parts.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #112
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
My parts substitution worked just fine! Plus I put a new SS bolt andaluminumm bucket in thesplashh guard. I will replace those when I need to order other KTM parts.
If that happens again in the field, take the one out of the bottom side of the swing arm and put it in the top. If the bottom flops around, no problems. If the top flops around, your chain can stuff it up into the counter sprocket, which results in sudden and uncontrollable stoppage of the rear wheel.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #113
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
If that happens again in the field, take the one out of the bottom side of the swing arm and put it in the top. If the bottom flops around, no problems. If the top flops around, your chain can stuff it up into the counter sprocket, which results in sudden and uncontrollable stoppage of the rear wheel.

Yes, I considered that, but the bottom two, of the four bolts that hold the splash guard on will fit. The bucket is exactly the same and the bolt has a smaller head size and is a bit longer, but works fine. Of course, I already had the wheel off doing the tubeless modification, it may not be very easy to remove the splash guard bolt with the tire on. Your idea would be a quick and easy repair in the field!

There is almost always the same bolt being used somewhere on the moto in a less critical location.

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 08:45 PM
Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #114
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,813
There is a permanent fix for permanent peace of mind.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551666
You can shave the threads from this hole and pass a M6 X 100 bolt through the swingarm and tighten at the bottom hole, which is also threaded. These two are aligned. Then you can install a secure nut with the bucket at the bottom. Best fix IMHO.
Cheers

gefr screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 12:06 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #115
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Cheers
Are you talking about where the fellow put a bolt all the way through the swingarm? I think I will try the loctite first.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #116
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have applied two coats of silicone to the spoke nipples on my rear wheel and will do a third coat in the morning. Then Saturday morning I will mount the tire and see if it holds air!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #117
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Donnie,

Don't forget the clutch slave o-ring and clutch fluid (I think it's mineral oil). I can't remember what the size (dash number) is of the o-ring but you can buy them in bulk from mcmaster carr and they're very cheap. If you need the size, I can measure one and get you the info.

Of course, this is assuming you haven't gone with the aftermarket slave already. I don't recall seeing your decision on this. By the way, I have read of more than a few aftermarket clutch slaves failing as well. You could purchase thousands of the o-rings and gallons of the mineral oil for the price of an aftermarket slave unit.

Matter of fact, I have so many from when I ordered my replacements that I'll mail you several if you PM me your address.

Tom
Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #118
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbronco View Post
Donnie,

Don't forget the clutch slave o-ring and clutch fluid (I think it's mineral oil). I can't remember what the size (dash number) is of the o-ring but you can buy them in bulk from mcmaster carr and they're very cheap. If you need the size, I can measure one and get you the info.

Of course, this is assuming you haven't gone with the aftermarket slave already. I don't recall seeing your decision on this. By the way, I have read of more than a few aftermarket clutch slaves failing as well. You could purchase thousands of the o-rings and gallons of the mineral oil for the price of an aftermarket slave unit.

Matter of fact, I have so many from when I ordered my replacements that I'll mail you several if you PM me your address.

Tom

Hi Tom!

Thanks for the info! Please send me the number of that O Ring! I have read a bit about the O Rings failing and have looked for a tutorial on changing one, but have not found it yet. Could someone point me toward one. Same with a detailed tutorial, with pictures of rebuilding the water pump. I have a Shop Manuel on a DVD, but I generally find Inmate Tutorial more helpful!

Donnie
Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #119
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Could someone point me toward one. Same with a detailed tutorial, with pictures of rebuilding the water pump. I have a Shop Manuel on a DVD, but I generally find Inmate Tutorial more helpful!

Donnie
This is Pydons guide. I've received kit today and plan on following it.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...ater_pump.html

Clutch. Think I'm going to try clean oil and replace the o ring. Not sure where a how too is located.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567964

Further....... The more I read the more it looks like that fuel pump is going to get in trouble. Probably more so south of the border where you're headed.

I'm ordering filter kit today from KTM twins or CJ. Also investigating how to get a couple of the mesh nylon filters located in tank filler caps. Might be able to machine up some aluminum bits that could lock them in place. I've ordered a couple of the ktm motocross bike ones to mess with.

25 micron mesh and 30 micron fuel bits. Makes the best sense apart from the purge module.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #120
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
This is Pydons guide. I've received kit today and plan on following it.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Orange%20...ater_pump.html

Clutch. Think I'm going to try clean oil and replace the o ring. Not sure where a how too is located.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567964

Further....... The more I read the more it looks like that fuel pump is going to get in trouble. Probably more so south of the border where you're headed.

I'm ordering filter kit today from KTM twins or CJ. Also investigating how to get a couple of the mesh nylon filters located in tank filler caps. Might be able to machine up some aluminum bits that could lock them in place. I've ordered a couple of the ktm motocross bike ones to mess with.

25 micron mesh and 30 micron fuel bits. Makes the best sense apart from the purge module.

Thanks for the info! If I have ever got any bad gas south of the border, my R1100GS nor the KLR650 knew it. I have seen stuff come out of "jug" gas that did not look so great from the stand point of sediment. Regardless of what you do inside the tank, if you plan on using a lot of jug gas, get a small funnel with a filter or a pair of womens hose. No don't wear them, they won't help, unless it is cold! Use them to strain the gas. With all of the riding I have done south of the border, I have only used jug gas four times that I can remember.