User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #121
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,788
The special funnel net keeps water out.

This could be very helpfull, since these funnels separate fuel from water.
Cheers.
gefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #122
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,598
I mounted my tire this morning, aired it up and I could hear air escaping! I sprayed soapy water on the base of the valve stem I had mounted and the base and threads of all of the spokes, no bubbles! I was very very careful! How could this happen? Then I sprayed the valve core and bubbles went everywhere. Some idiot didn't tighten the valve core properly! I submerged the bottom portion of the tire under water and carefully inspected it and found no bubbles. I am painting on my house at the moment, so I will keep an eye on it for a while to ensure no leak develope before I re-install it.

Any of you road only riders out there that never "air down" tried "gooping" the front? It will probably never be aired down, but it will see plenty of speed bumps and pot holes!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #123
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

After six or seven hours, two spokes started to leak. No problem, take the tire off and apply some more Goop. What did surprise me is that the silicon had continued to shrink or the air pressure pushed more of the silicon into the spoke threads. I believe the air pressure had pushed the silicone further into the thread area, because I have about 20 dimples in the different nipple areas that definitely were not there when the tire was mounted. So, I am adding a bit of Goop to those, in addition to the two that are leaking. I was pleasantly surprised when there were no leakers when the tire was mounted, but I don't see this as a problem. I just need to have it bullet proof by the time I leave for Mexico Thursday!

From what I see, even if you have no leakers when the tire has been mounted for eight hours, it may be wise to dis-mount and have a look or at a minimum, take a look before starting the next long trip.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #124
gefr
Life is a trip

Eh? I had another brilliant idea, after some reports started emerging

The clutch master cylinder started giving trouble. It started leaking.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=756603&page=4

Cheers

gefr screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 10:34 PM
Old 06-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #125
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I believe the air pressure had pushed the silicone further into the thread area, because I have about 20 dimples in the different nipple areas that definitely were not there when the tire was mounted.
I'm big on the Australian "she'll be right mate" but it might pay to run a tube and save this mod for a future trip where you could leave the silicone exposed to air and let it cure for a few weeks. Seems like quite a depth of liquid silicone under the cured skin.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #126
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Oddometer: 31,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
The clutch master cylinder started giving trouble. It started leaking.
Master or slave cyl?

I'm on my third clutch slave in 35,000 miles. First one I was still able to get the original repair kit which consisted of a piston and seal, this last time just a few weeks ago I had a "used spare" slave cyl that a friend gave me when he put an Evo unit on his '05. Evo as I understand is out of business now so the only main choices are, 1 - "new updated" factory unit 2 - a Reklus unit or 3 - the Oberon unit. I'm going to go ahead and order one because I know the one on the bike will fail within 10,000 miles or less, I'm leaning toward the Reklus, don't have much input on the Oberon yet.

The Second Amendment - it ain't about duck hunting.

You heatherns needs some churchin up - http://www.landoverbaptist.org/
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #127
RadoR6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
[QUOTE=ADVMax;21603571]Master or slave cyl?

...Evo as I understand is out of business now so the only main choices are, 1 - "new updated" factory unit 2 - a Reklus unit or 3 - the Oberon unit....

Don't forget Sigutech.
RadoR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #128
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
I'm big on the Australian "she'll be right mate" but it might pay to run a tube and save this mod for a future trip where you could leave the silicone exposed to air and let it cure for a few weeks. Seems like quite a depth of liquid silicone under the cured skin.

It has been under pressure for a couple hours now and has not lost any pressure. In fact it gained about 1/2 pound as the ambient temperature increased. If it is losing any pressure when it is time to leave, I will install a tube. If it is not losing any, I will carry a tube!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #129
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
Master or slave cyl?

I'm on my third clutch slave in 35,000 miles. First one I was still able to get the original repair kit which consisted of a piston and seal, this last time just a few weeks ago I had a "used spare" slave cyl that a friend gave me when he put an Evo unit on his '05. Evo as I understand is out of business now so the only main choices are, 1 - "new updated" factory unit 2 - a Reklus unit or 3 - the Oberon unit. I'm going to go ahead and order one because I know the one on the bike will fail within 10,000 miles or less, I'm leaning toward the Reklus, don't have much input on the Oberon yet.
[QUOTE=RadoR6;21603681]
Quote:
Master or slave cyl?

...Evo as I understand is out of business now so the only main choices are, 1 - "new updated" factory unit 2 - a Reklus unit or 3 - the Oberon unit....

Don't forget Sigutech.

I welcome these type inputs on this thread, they will ramp up my learning curve!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #130
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I'm pulling tanks off right now. Got stopped by the squashed clamps on fuel line.

Checked in the how.

Pull off the two fuel lines (you can do it without cutting the clamps, but its easier to get rid of them and put regular hose clamps on).

Nice to have some help.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #131
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

My tire don't seem to have lost any air since yesterday morning apart from the small loses when you actually check the pressure. Am I 110% sure? No, but I am riding it!
Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #132
roookie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
[QUOTE=RadoR6;21603681]
Quote:
Master or slave cyl?

Don't forget Sigutech.

+1 on the Sigutech..

http://www.sigutech.com/
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #133
gefr
Life is a trip

Master and slave clutch cyl

Quote:
Master or slave cyl?
Don't get me wrong. I had 5 slave cyl fail on me and finally installed a machined bronze piston. I also had one master fail on me. I installed an inox sleeve and went down in ID, using a KTM motocross clutch piston.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=756603&page=4
Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #134
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I changed the chain and sprockets on the moto today. Imagine my surprise when I bent back the washer behind the front sprocket nut and the nut was "hand" tight! I thought I had put too larger of a socket on and it was spinning without turning the nut. I never felt any resistance. The chain and sprockets had 20,800 miles on them and would have probably gone another 4,000 miles, but I didn't want to change them on the road. Them and the tools that is necessary take up a lot of room, plus, I have never done a rivet chain before, so I wanted to do it at home. How do you know when you have expanded the end of the rivet enough? I watched a video, the guy was even using a Cycle Gear tool like mine, but I could not tell how much he expanded it. He said that he expanded it too much and made the plate too tight. When I slide my finger nail length ways on the rivet, I can feel a slight fattening and the plate does not feel too tight..

On another note, I have a reversed dimple on my right front faring, 5.5 inches below the middle of the K in KTM. There is a black plastic support or something behind it, but I cannot find where it is being pressed out. Any ideas. Is my moto growing a nipple?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #135
gefr
Life is a trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
On another note, I have a reversed dimple on my right front faring, 5.5 inches below the middle of the K in KTM. There is a black plastic support or something behind it, but I cannot find where it is being pressed out. Any ideas. Is my moto growing a nipple?
photos?