Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
samslow OP
always learning

Oddometer: 85
Moving to Ottawa .

Hi,
We're moving to Ottawa from the UK in August. I currently ride a 950 adv Ktm but will have to sell it as i'm not allowed to ship it. I will probably buy the same again when i get there.
I m hoping my no claims discount i have built up is transferable to Canada. Anyone done a similar move?
Wheres the best for insurance in that area?
I'll also be looking for a new bike so any pointers in that direction too will be greatly appreciated.

Its gonna be a bit busy as we've got to sort out two new cars aswell.
thanks
samslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,194
Welcome, your going to enjoy the riding....within an hour or so of downtown there is some of the best trails and backroads that Canada has to offer

No your speeding tickets, etc won't be transferred. In Canada they don't even transfer that stuff between provinces.

TD insurance seems to be the best rates these days for cars, bikes, houses, etc

Give a shout when you get settled and have a bike....a few groups of us that go out for rides on the weekends

Cheers

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
samslow OP
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Welcome, your going to enjoy the riding....within an hour or so of downtown there is some of the best trails and backroads that Canada has to offer

No your speeding tickets, etc won't be transferred. In Canada they don't even transfer that stuff between provinces.

TD insurance seems to be the best rates these days for cars, bikes, houses, etc

Give a shout when you get settled and have a bike....a few groups of us that go out for rides on the weekends

Cheers
by "no claims" do you have that here? i mean the yearly discount ive earnt over the years on my insurances.
thankfully no speeding points at the moment anyway (touch wood)

sound s good looking forward to the trails
i'll give you a shout when im sorted
thanks
sam
Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,904
They do transfer your driving abstract from province to province,
but I'm really not sure how it works internationally.

Having to move, buy three vehicles, and get used to driving on the other
side of the road should keep you busy!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
They do transfer your driving abstract from province to province,
but I'm really not sure how it works internationally.

Having to move, buy three vehicles, and get used to driving on the other
side of the road should keep you busy!
Depends which provinces. Example Alberta to Ontario is not transfered nor is BC to Ontario (based on personal experience and getting rid of those pesky tickets over the years )

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #6
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,223
Ontario even has an agreement to transfer some driver abstracts from some States. New York for one.

Ontario insurance shouldn't be too bad if you're old enough to be running around on a KTM instead of a GSX-R. LOL

Welcome to Canada....lots of great members right here, on this sight.

Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
I have a buddy who had a blemish-free 10-yr riding record in Belgium. Last summer, after being in Canada for 6+ yrs, he decided to look into getting a BMW sport touring bike and his insurance company was going to zero rate him (count him as a first-time rider) and ding him $5,000 for insurance. That put the nail in the coffin for that idea.

This year he shopped around and got the price down to $1,400 if he moved his car over as well. I think he said they took into consideration his prior record.

So shop around as each insurance company has different policies. And I would suggest you come prepared by bringing documentation of you clean record as every little bit of evidence supports your claim of being a low-risk rider/driver.
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,427
Ottawa.

Condolences.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
gigeorge
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Lucky swine moving from the UK to Canada, would love to do that myself but theyre not up for us IT folk!
gigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
samslow OP
always learning

well yes i certainly am gonna be busy. just selling everything here at the moment so getting a bit stressed.
Is it much different to buy a vehicle over there?
do you hpi vehicles i.e. a check to see if theyve been stolen recoverd, finance, write off, etc??
whats your equivalent of our mot roadworthy annual test?
here i have to MOT it annually insure it and road tax annually is it the same there?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by samslow View Post
well yes i certainly am gonna be busy. just selling everything here at the moment so getting a bit stressed.
do you hpi vehicles i.e. a check to see if theyve been stolen recoverd, finance, write off, etc??
- Yes, dealers will have the info and private deals need a "sellers package" which discloses this info. As anywhere though "buyer beware" in both private and dealer deals

-No annual road worthy check per se, there is a initial "safety check" when a vehicle is sold and some areas have a annual emmisions or smog check program for older vehicles that the government keeps changing, we don't but Ottawa may.

here i have to MOT it annually insure it and road tax annually is it the same there?
- No annual safety as mentioned, once you get your licence plate the is a annual sticker you renew on your birthday that they just upped to $82(for cars $42 for bikes) and insurance of course.

Welcome to Canada

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
where2next?
Map guy

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
I have a buddy who had a blemish-free 10-yr riding record in Belgium. Last summer, after being in Canada for 6+ yrs, he decided to look into getting a BMW sport touring bike and his insurance company was going to zero rate him (count him as a first-time rider) and ding him $5,000 for insurance. That put the nail in the coffin for that idea.

This year he shopped around and got the price down to $1,400 if he moved his car over as well. I think he said they took into consideration his prior record.

So shop around as each insurance company has different policies. And I would suggest you come prepared by bringing documentation of you clean record as every little bit of evidence supports your claim of being a low-risk rider/driver.
Yes be very careful with that. Make sure you copy and record your existing license number and bring copies of your driving record, ideally with a signed letter from the insurance company stating that you are in fact a low risk driver. be very upfront with whatever insurance company that you are dealing with that you are not interested in being taken to the cleaners on motorcycle insurance. It's a favorite scam in ontario. Rates vary widely across companies and brokers can pretty much do what they want. Ontario motorcycle insurance is highway robbery. It's often cheaper to risk the ticket than to buy the insurance. Out here in Alberta I am paying $300 and I was quoted up to $2000 in Ontario when I went there for school. Be prepared with whatever you can think to bring with you to PROVE that you are in fact a low risk, experienced rider. Companies tend to decide not to accept overseas driving records if it means you pay them more money. Copies of insurance, license, driving record, insurance record, pictures of bikes you owned literally everything you can think of. These guys are bastards, especially in ontario.

see here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876445
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,904
What wheretonext said. Also be sure to point out the motorcycle endorsement on your license. I got screwed on that one time, when I moved from province to province, and ended up having to re-drive the test!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Moving to Ottawa

Welcome - as others have said, there is plenty of good riding here, especially if you like empty roads.

Just make sure you do your licence transfer stuff straight away. Even though I have had a full m/c licence from the UK since 1967, I didn't transfer it within my first year of being here and now it counts for nothing (even though its still valid in the UK!). I had to do the whole Ontario graduated motorcycle licence test thing right from the start - and despite being a licenced rider for more than 40 years, I'm still considered a new rider by the insurance companies.

But don't let the technicalities put you off. It's worth it - it really is. I doubt whether you are used to riding, with nothing ahead of you and nothing behind. Once away from the urban centres, that's frequently the case here.

Good luck

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by samslow View Post
Vehicles are generally much cheaper than in the UK.
Yep - there's a Ontario Gov. Used Vehicle Information package $26 for every vehicle that has to be produced for every ownership transfer. If the vehicle has been wrecked or stolen, it should show.
Every vehicle has to have a 'safety certificate' before ownership can be transfered. Its a one time deal (no annual test).

Here's the place to start: http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ehicle-ontario

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote