Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #46
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by samslow View Post
Well im here got the house going to try and sort a car now.

Any recommendations for Insurance in ottawa area?

So correct me if im wrong but from my reading this is how i go about buying a car

1. view car usual stuff give it a good lookover, test drive, view the UVIP which the seller should provide.
Seller should also provide SAFETY CERTIFICATE AND DRIVE CLEAN (E-TEST?) too
Then if all that is ok and we agree on price pay a holding deposit.

2. go and insure said vehicle.

Now do i register it first before collecting or collect it then register it?

thanks
What part of the city did you move to?

As drif says, its not required to sell a car with a safety. But if you do buy a car "as is" then it becomes your responsibility to get the safety done.

Call around to many different places for insurance, the price can vary by thousands.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #47
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,006
You should be able to buy a safety checked car at a reasonable price. I keep forgetting about that e-check thing, we don't have it up north.

Bought my son an older Buick, safetied, 105k on the clock for around 4k last year. They are out there.

Best of luck. There should be a few ADVRiders in your area that can help out, if they so choose.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #48
samslow OP
always learning

Oddometer: 146
HI thanks for the replies. im in Kanata.
Im was considering just getting a cheap runaround to start with for a couple of mths but i think im gonna get something a bit better now as the wife needs a reliable car for work.
I quite like the Ford Escape. there seems to be alot around and for me thats always a good sign.
Wifeys not driven an automatic before. I ll think it will be better for her to drive an auto rather than a manual while she gets used to driving on other side of road and how road/traffic works here.

or Maybe a grand cherokee but prob too pricey for me
or if a small hatch maybe a mazda 3 or something like that they're pretty bulletproof again there seems to be alot of them here.
Do people really need a 4wd with the snow here?

also cars here all seem to have moon mileage! wow!

I think its going to have to be in wifes name? as she will have an active work permit and i dont yet till i go over the border to activate. i may be wrong

samslow screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 09:14 AM
samslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #49
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Don't forget the mileage is in kilometres, so only 60,000 miles = 100,000 kilometres. A couple of hundred kms is generally not too much as long as the vehicle has been well maintained and is in good condition.

Most vehicles with high mileage will have been lolloping along the highway at a steady 60-70 mph which is really easy on them - not sitting in stop-go traffic their whole lives, like cars in the UK.

IMHO avoid domestic products (Chev, Ford, GM) quality is generally low compared to their far eastern counterparts and they deteriorate quickly.

4WD or AWD is nice, and definitely handy sometimes, but not essential. Plenty of people get by without - but whatever you get, do spend the money for proper winter tyres. All season tyres just aren't!

Most people have automatics, mainly because they're lazy and generally too incompetent to drive a proper car with a real gearbox.

Perhaps buy something cheap and easy to start, then once you have had a chance to assess your needs and interests (and what seems to work well), change for something more long-term suitable. (And of course, save the real money for your bike - you'll be wanting that in the spring!).

Just a few cents worth.....

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
samslow OP
always learning

so ive put a deposit down on a mazda 3 2008 which im happy with but i need to get my licence swapped as i cant insured. How hard is this?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #51
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,451
Quote:
so ive put a deposit down on a mazda 3 2008 which im happy with but i need to get my licence swapped as i cant insured. How hard is this?
Once again, in the Queen's English, please?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #52
samslow OP
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Once again, in the Queen's English, please?
Ive called a couple of insurance companies and they didnt want to know as i still have my UK Licence.
The driving licence office general number i called and spoke to a chap who seems to think i have to provide a letter from the british embassy/ government confirming my proof of driving experience.

I nearly fell off the chair at the 1st quote of $4200
Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #53
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Ive called a couple of insurance companies and they didnt want to know as i still have my UK Licence.
The driving licence office general number i called and spoke to a chap who seems to think i have to provide a letter from the british embassy/ government confirming my proof of driving experience.

I nearly fell off the chair at the 1st quote of $4200
Not sure if this helps

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ion1.1.0.shtml
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #54
samslow OP
always learning

i have now sorted out the licence and it was pretty easy really so im pleased with that.
I basically had to go to the drive test centre hand over my uk licence pay a fee do an eye test and job done! They gave me a paper temp licence till my photocard comes in the post.

I enquired about my motorcycle licence and what they do is 1. i have to take a written test and then 2. a final road test
and thats it. They said because they take my uk experience into account i dont have to do anything more than that. So im revising for my test now.

The mazda comes with a spare set of winter wheels and tyres so that helps with the bad winter.

Im currently ringing around for car insurance i found johnsons who seem to be one of the few who take expats experience driving in other countries into account when providing a quotation. But i have to provide a letter from the uk driving licence agency as well as a letter from my previous car insurer.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #55
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Sounds like your ducks are aligning themselves. Good stuff. A full set of winter wheels/tyres is a great asset. Don't be in a rush to put them on. They wear rather rapidly on hot pavement - late November should be about right.

Don't take this amiss, but I have spent enough time in the Ottawa fringe to have a healthy distain for Stittsville/Kanata/Nepean etc. Fortunately, you can leave the burbs behind fairly quickly, and with the Mazda, quite inexpensively.

Lots of good country to the north and west, lots for farm land to the south and east.

Have fun.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #56
samslow OP
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Sounds like your ducks are aligning themselves. Good stuff. A full set of winter wheels/tyres is a great asset. Don't be in a rush to put them on. They wear rather rapidly on hot pavement - late November should be about right.

Don't take this amiss, but I have spent enough time in the Ottawa fringe to have a healthy distain for Stittsville/Kanata/Nepean etc. Fortunately, you can leave the burbs behind fairly quickly, and with the Mazda, quite inexpensively.

Lots of good country to the north and west, lots for farm land to the south and east.

Have fun.

Nick
do you have any recommendations of areas to check out?

still not insured yet. the cheapest quote $2150 so far thats halved the first quote i got
when we buy i would love a bit of land that would be awesome!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #57
RobP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I find west of Ottawa nice with its woods, hills, rivers, etc., and you are very close to some of the best off road riding you'll ever find. I live in Almonte which is a nice small town with all the big city amenities, but still very walkable, etc. - in 40 minutes I can be on this side of the Clabogie area which has hundreds of km of great trails. 2 minutes from my house there are trails in the burnt lands area if I feel like getting out for an evening rip.

Now living here it'd also be a great chance to get into enduro/trail riding - the network of trails around here is 2nd to none.

Rob
Old 09-06-2013, 02:49 AM   #58
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,634
30 minutes south of the city, a town called Kemptville. Reasonable house prices, all the amenities, etc. . Oh ya, some great trail riding 5 minutes from town

Give me a shout if you'd like and I could lend you a bike and could show you around the area

Ted

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #59
samslow OP
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
30 minutes south of the city, a town called Kemptville. Reasonable house prices, all the amenities, etc. . Oh ya, some great trail riding 5 minutes from town

Give me a shout if you'd like and I could lend you a bike and could show you around the area

Ted
Ive heard kemptville is nice. Its on my list to visit for sure. Im doing a bit of revision then im going to get my licence sorted. Also got to sort a job out now too the Mrs is already working so ill be buying another cari expect too soon.
When i sort my licence i will take you up on that offer Ted. Thanks

Visited merrickville the other day that was nice
Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #60
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,956
Quote:
Ive heard kemptville is nice. Its on my list to visit for sure. Im doing a bit of revision then im going to get my licence sorted. Also got to sort a job out now too the Mrs is already working so ill be buying another cari expect too soon.
When i sort my licence i will take you up on that offer Ted. Thanks

Visited merrickville the other day that was nice
Don't forget to check North Gower. Closer than Kemptville, and only minutes from the Marlborough Forest.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote