Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #16
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachosgrande View Post
Good point. I'm 6'5" tall, tons of road experience, not much dirt experience. In fact, I've never even ridden a true dirt bike, only dual sports. We have all kinds of terrain around here, so need/want something that can handle it all.........if possible. I'm guessing that a $5000 250cc dual sport won't cut the bill. Not everyone can afford a KTM 690, haha.
A very nice used KTM 450/525/530 exc (or plated XC-W depending on your state) can be had for under $5,000 and would fit the bill about perfectly.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
2 bikes...Get a light and powerful 250-500cc thumper and a mult-cylinder like a Wee/Tiger/F800GS.

1 bike...DR, 690, or Terra 650, depending on your budget. These are lighter and more capable offroad than the KLR, and don't really give up much (if anything) onroad.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
nachosgrande OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
2 bikes...Get a light and powerful 250-500cc thumper and a mult-cylinder like a Wee/Tiger/F800GS.

1 bike...DR, 690, or Terra 650, depending on your budget. These are lighter and more capable offroad than the KLR, and don't really give up much (if anything) onroad.
Yes, yes, I get it, I screwed up getting the KLR, haha. Now, I wonder how much I can get for a year old KLR towards a wee strom and 250 thumper?
nachosgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,749
You may know, but have not told us yet - what is it you want this / these bikes to do?

You already have a one bike does it all bike. Sure someone could say the DR650 or XR650L or Husky 650 Terra is a better Swiss-Army-knife, but without more info, who knows what to suggest except our personal favorites?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #20
nachosgrande OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
You may know, but have not told us yet - what is it you want this / these bikes to do?

You already have a one bike does it all bike. Sure someone could say the DR650 or XR650L or Husky 650 Terra is a better Swiss-Army-knife, but without more info, who knows what to suggest except our personal favorites?
Guess I should have mentioned that. I'd like it to accomplish several goals (if possible). First to have it as a second bike so that I can have one more road oriented, and one more dirt oriented, but both still capable of dirt roads. Second, to have one my wife can ride if she wants to join me, however, she won't be doing anything more substantial that fire roads.

I'd love to make the KLR more road worthy, somehow, and then get something that can do some serious dirt riding.
nachosgrande is offline   Reply With Quote