User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Whitebread117 OP
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
MotoGP 2013 Indianapolis - questions from a first time attendee

A couple quick questions for those of you who have been to MotoGP Indy or are a regular at other MotoGP venues. My wife and I have tickets (Penthouse over turn 1). With 2 small children at home and a job that requires very erratic (and often short notice) travel this is likely the only race we'll attend for the next couple years so we don't want to miss anything.

Questions:

Are there any "must see or must do" events over the course of the weekend? We'll be at the track for Friday morning practice through end of race ceremony Sunday. Anything specifically worth planning for other than the obvious practice/qualifying/race sessions?

Are the paddock passes worthwhile? They are freaking expensive - $250/person for three day paddock pass that only gets you to the area behind the garages, no pit lane access. If it's worth the admission price I'm willing to pony up but doesn't seem like it from the description.

Are there any times/areas with any kind of pit lane/garage/rider access (like what you can get at AMA/BSB/etc)?

When Rossi wins, would it be impolite to gloat and celebrate because my wife is a Marquez fan?

Thanks in advance for any sage advice, tips, or sarcasm you can offer
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,407
don't know about the paddock passes, but they do offer a pit walk, either fri or sat evening. most teams push the bikes out, a few start em up so you can hear em up close, pretty cool to do if you happen to be there, and it's free.
a must do if the weather is good is the indy mile dirt track race just up the road at the fairgrounds sat evening, besides, the state fair also goes on, so the food vendors are great, and the race takes on a great vibe with the lights from the rides in the background, plus lots of the motogp paddock will be in the stands and in the pits, Rossi is usually there hanging out, plus, free to get into the pits before the races and chat it up with the racers, just ask directions to the tunnel that goes under the front straight.
those seats you have at the speedway are good ones, one of the best spots on the track, I usually watch at least one practice session up there, but take the time to explore the track and check out other locations, one of my faves is right along the front straight when the motogp bikes are out for practice, simply awesome sound, bring earplugs!! less crowded viewing in the infield, along with vendors and such, food, beer stands, etc.
all in all, a great atmosphere, lots of people, but the place is so huge it doesn't feel crowded. plenty of restrooms and water fountains, and the track doesn't rape you on food and drink prices compared to other tracks I've been to. Track employees are very nice and helpful also.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Whitebread117 OP
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Great info, thanks. We will def check out the dirt track as well.

Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
jersey jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
I had penthouse seating in turn one when I went, it's a great spot. And sunny or rainy, that roof is nice to have.

I wandered all over for the practice and qualy sessions, the place is huge and you can get lots of different views from the different grandstands, make sure to be along the fence across from the pagoda during a motogp session at some point, the sound as the bikes go through that canyon of concrete is absolutely incredible.

Make sure you go to the museum on the grounds, it's an epic collection of mechanical awesomeness.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,689
Make sure you get to the State Fairgrounds for the Mile the night before - lots to see and do, and then the racing is fantastic!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Doppelganger
Alive & Living

Oddometer: 125
I would do the qualifying if possible. The last 10-15 minutes are great. You can also walk around the infield (not paddock) without too much of a crowd on that day. The Indy museum is cool as well. We had a blast when we went a couple of years ago.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Ditto on the museum. If you haven't seen it, its worth the hike up there. Some real racing history there you not likely to see elsewhere. Do the pit walk, its as close as you can get to those garages and the bikes with a ticket to the race.

I wouldn't pay $250 for walking around the paddock area behind the garages. You can see some sights back there, and sometimes run into the stars face to face, but I wouldn't pay that much for the experience.

You are in for a treat though, Indy is an iconic racing venue, even if it isn't the best of road-racing circuits on the MotoGP calendar, they bring the whole show, all three classes. Lots of vendors in the gasoline alley area. Put on some good walking shoes. You will have a good time.
okiegtrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
I bought a paddock pass at Laguna Seca a few years back for $50.
If you were willing to stand in a crowd around a small roped off area you might get an autograph or pic with one rider, if you are lucky.
The real show was out on the track. There are usually other opportunities to meet riders outside of the paddock area.
For me, I didn't think a paddock pass is worth $50. I don't care for autographs, but some folks pee their pants with joy.
You will have plenty of time over three days to explorer everything.
Bring cash, ear plugs and drinking water, you'll have a great time.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Is the downtown bike thing called bikes on meridian or something like that? Tens of thousands of motorcycles. Can't remember if that was Friday or Saturday night
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Is there camping at the track? showers? what's it like if anyone has experience.

If there isn't wheres the best hotel to stay at for access to the track and they other events going on?
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
If there isn't wheres the best hotel to stay at for access to the track and they other events going on?
Define "best."

Indy is not a big city, but it has a ton of surplus hotel rooms. If you want cheap, there are dozens of options. If you want luxury, there a few. Either way, your commute to the track will be easy.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
Define "best."

Indy is not a big city, but it has a ton of surplus hotel rooms. If you want cheap, there are dozens of options. If you want luxury, there a few. Either way, your commute to the track will be easy.
You'll probably have a tough time getting a room downtown, freakin Gen Con is in town the same weekend

The south burbs would be your best bet IMHO if you want a hotel. There are several Holiday Inn/Hampton/Marriott properties along I-65 just south of I-465. Makes for a quick interstate trip on I-65 to the north side of the track and weasling in on Kessler Blvd or Lafayette Rd.

In addition to the Mile (a MUST attend event) there will be short track racing at the county fairgrounds Friday http://www.midamspeedway.com/ There's also a stunt bike competition downtown if you're in to that.

Yeah I got the e-mail about paddock passes and there's is no chance I'm gonna drop that kind of coin for a cattle call

Come on down and enjoy!

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
You'll probably have a tough time getting a room downtown, freakin Gen Con is in town the same weekend
Again?

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,210
My Mom lives 45 minutes north of Indy, I don't have to worry about accommodations.

DO NOT and I mean DO NOT miss the smoked turkey leg at that track, its great.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post

Are the paddock passes worthwhile? They are freaking expensive - $250/person for three day paddock pass that only gets you to the area behind the garages, no pit lane access. If it's worth the admission price I'm willing to pony up but doesn't seem like it from the description.
You got a link for the $250 paddock passes? I thought the only way in was a hideously expensive VIP Village ticket.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote