Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #151
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by scholz View Post
I just took a glance at SS and transit distances:

Day 1: longest transit and SS before refuel: SS~ 24miles + Transit of up to 80miles - an optional refuel = up to 40miles until refuels.
This shouldn't be a problem. Only question: Is somebody bringing our fuel to richwood service park, or do we have to dump the fuel ourselves or find somebody?

Day 2: SS 35miles + transit of 61 miles= 96 miles total. This might be a bit of a stretch for some and maybe me (hard to guess SS gas mileage). Anyone know if there are gas stations on the transit route for day 2? I am probably just being paranoid here and it won't be a problem, but just want to be ready.

Regardless, if you see me on the side of the road with a syphon in my flailing hands please stop!

Cheers!
I'm betting that they will send a service vehicle ahead to richwood so have a can ready with your name and race number on it. If not there aren't all that many bikes so one or two folks can probably send a crew member ahead to carry everybody's gas. Just hope they don't get lost....looks like the roads next to service in Richwood are River Rd and White Ave. Somebody write that down.

If you send a gas can ahead don't expect it to make it back to snowshoe service when you need it later in the day. Have another full can there for the evening fill up.

There is a gas station about .2 miles from Richwood service as well. There should be plenty of time during transit to top off if that's your choice.

If you fuel up in any service area you need to have an extinquisher buddy ready to put you out when you catch fire. The time penalty if busted not following this rule is hefty.

You can top off at the gas station at the bottom of the mountain during most transits to and from the mountain which buys you 6 or 7 miles.

Day two looks identical to last year's day two. They did send a service truck out with gas cans for day 2 last year. I don't remember where because I didn't need it. All I rememmber is not seeing my gas can again until mid morning the next day.

I also remember stopping mid transit to help Doug and Kurt transfer gas to Kurts 5 gallon KTM tank that he decided to only fill half way...so if you have a big tank go ahead and fill it up...

Ryan, please don't flail your syphon at anybody during or after the race.

CB900 Scrambler - Build Thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886759

Entrepre-neer screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 07:58 AM
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #152
poondangle OP
Slow

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post
I'm betting that they will send a service vehicle ahead to richwood so have a can ready with your name and race number on it. If not there aren't all that many bikes so one or two folks can probably send a crew member ahead to carry everybody's gas. Just hope they don't get lost....looks like the roads next to service in Richwood are River Rd and White Ave. Somebody write that down.

If you send a gas can ahead don't expect it to make it back to snowshoe service when you need it later in the day. Have another full can there for the evening fill up.

There is a gas station about .2 miles from Richwood service as well. There should be plenty of time during transit to top off if that's your choice.

If you fuel up in any service area you need to have an extinquisher buddy ready to put you out when you catch fire. The time penalty if busted not following this rule is hefty.

You can top off at the gas station at the bottom of the mountain during most transits to and from the mountain which buys you 6 or 7 miles.

Day two looks identical to last year's day two. They did send a service truck out with gas cans for day 2 last year. I don't remember where because I didn't need it. All I rememmber is not seeing my gas can again until mid morning the next day.

I also remember stopping mid transit to help Doug and Kurt transfer gas to Kurts 5 gallon KTM tank that he decided to only fill half way...so if you have a big tank go ahead and fill it up...

Thanks for the info. I will definitely bring an extinguisher with me, and it will be on my truck with my buddy. So everyone is welcome to throw your stuff in with mine.
poondangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #153
SquadraCorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrepre-neer View Post

http://styleperpound.blogspot.com/
BMW R1100S Light | KLX 400
SquadraCorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #154
SquadraCorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Took the lights out for a shakedown the other night. Performed great! The go-pro doesn't do them justice at all.

http://styleperpound.blogspot.com/
BMW R1100S Light | KLX 400
SquadraCorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #155
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I have lights!! Plus the rest of the bike prep is done!

So tomorrow is pack day and i should be ready to roll out of ATL Thu am! Getting very excited!!

re service, fuel and what not - I was planning to leave a vehicle there with fuel, extinguisher, a cooler, and some tools/spares. Maybe we can all coordinate and simplify that.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone and putting some miles down

Rodney
Old 07-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #156
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermofo View Post
I have lights!! Plus the rest of the bike prep is done!

So tomorrow is pack day and i should be ready to roll out of ATL Thu am! Getting very excited!!

re service, fuel and what not - I was planning to leave a vehicle there with fuel, extinguisher, a cooler, and some tools/spares. Maybe we can all coordinate and simplify that.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone and putting some miles down

Rodney
Have fun out there, Rodney. I wish I was able to join this rally, but it's camp month for my children so I am home bound for the next 3 weekends....the kids put a 300 foot leash on me so I am stuck riding in my backyard endurocross layout
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #157
Hypermofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
Have fun out there, Rodney. I wish I was able to join this rally, but it's camp month for my children so I am home bound for the next 3 weekends....the kids put a 300 foot leash on me so I am stuck riding in my backyard endurocross layout
Roger that! Fun seems locked in at this point

NCO - check
Registration - check
Scruitineering - check
Meeting up with fellow inmates - check
Hang out and getting ready for the shake down run - next

Fun shall be had!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #158
poondangle OP
Slow

So, for three and a half stages I had the most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels!!! I was awesome to meet everyone. Y'all took me in as a complete stranger, and made me feel welcome. I can't wait to get back on the bike. I'm off for emergency surgery.

Oh, Tom, you should know everything I've overheard in the ER, makes DQ sound almost normal.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #159
poondangle OP
Slow

Oh, if someone could find out my stage 3 time, that'd be awesome as well
Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #160
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,631
Damn man, what the hell happened?

Hope you're doing ok.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #161
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post

Hope you're doing ok.
+1

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #162
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
That will leave a mark

Hang in there

Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 AM   #163
poondangle OP
Slow

Update

I was finally able to get my surgery yesterday evening, about 28 hours and 3 hospitals after the injury. I finally ended up at the UVA trauma center. My shoulder was dislocated and my humerus broken in 4 places. My rotator cuff muscles were ripped off the ball end of the bone. They put plates and screws in, and are hoping for the best. They were on the fence about doing a complete shoulder replacement; which may be in my future anyway.

Was it worth it? Hell yes. I should be riding again by next year, and I might be able to do Sandblast. So, it looked like it was true, the rally needed a last place finisher, and I pulled that off for y'all.

Oh, fun fact....the Summersville Regional Medical Center was the first hospital I was taken to. They were not capable of even properly diagnosing the injury, much less treat it. However, they did have the hottest nurses, by far. So, they have that going for them.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #164
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,658
Holy crap Poondangle!!!! Sorry to hear about your off....that's usually my job What happened to Ryan, Braden, and Peter?? Man I hope you guys are ok and your bikes just gave it up.....check in.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 04:55 AM
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:12 AM   #165
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
Hey Poondangle.

That looks like a posterior dislocation? That puts you in a very small club - I believe it's only 3% of shoulder dislocations are posterior. It's a tough road to recovery but it is possible. I was lucky in that I only fractured the Humerous Head, not the Humerous itself, which gave the rotator cuff anchors a good chance.

By far the hardest part is getting the shoulder movement back. Lots of physiotherapy and exercises. I clearly remember my physio looking at me once while she was massaging my shoulder and she said "Are those tears? Crying is okay, but no screaming okay - it upsets the people in the waiting room"

Best of luck with your recovery. Remember this ... "attitude is everything!"
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote