Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Thats Crap! I went thru the same shit with my old SF Agent. I went with Allstate. Full Coverage on my 650L.

OP, Sorry about your Idiot Agent. I've been there! They can insure my Dads KLR no issue, dont know what a XR650L is.

Chris
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Different bike, but same problem with SF. I tried to insure a Kawasaki W650, but SF's underwriters insisted that the rate would be $160/yr. $100/300K liability only. I ended up placing 4 bikes with Foremost via Farmer's for $200/yr total. It wasn't my agent, it was the underwriter. Like others there was no change in my other policies, and my umbrella policy with SF is still over the top of the insurance through Foremost.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
You SF insured, please check your policies, SF does not write 1 year policies on motorcycles, just like your auto policy, 6 months. Since I live in Texas that could just be a Texas rule, but check your policy dates.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,286
My State Farm motorcycle policies have always been for one year for all 24 years I have been in Maryland.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,039
I have State Farm and I think they are fine.

$85 a YEAR for my XT600 for liability only. I am insured with a YEARLY plan too, nothing else on my other 2 bikes.

Do you have a DUI or something you aren't telling us??
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
Singletracker77 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
I have an XR650L, State Farm and pay $145/yr full coverage and I am 41. Just for reference.
So can I pass your agent's contact info to my agent? Can you PM me?
Singletracker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Trainman,

I believe you'll find that the 6 month policy is a Texas rule (perhaps in some other states too). I have policies with SF in Idaho and Washington and they're all 1 year policies as are the bikes insured with Foremost in Washington.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
Skibikejunkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I have two bikes insured with state farm, a KLR 650 and a Husqvarna TC250 that I plated. I pay about $400/year for both bikes, and I'm 39.

The TC250 is a motocross bike that I added lights to to get it past safety inspection and plated. SF insured it as a TE250, which is the enduro version of the same bike.

I would think if they can insure a bike that was never intended to go on the road for less than $20/month, they can cover your XR for less than $40.

'05 Husky TC 250 (Marianne)
'05 VStrom 1000
Skibikejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
TanasiRob
Squid Emeritus

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
I am a retired SF agent, you need a new agent, one that is competent. I am serious. Tell her to call her underwriter while you are sitting at her desk. And if that fails, get a mtcy pol only with GEICO or Dairyland Mutual. But I still say you should get a new agent.
I would definitely take that advice.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,924
comparing rates across state lines and companies and ages is less than useful -- things alter dramatically from one geography tpo another . . . .

My Dad gavce me two pieces of insurance advice . . . . .

1 if at all possible, have everything with one company (it gives you discounts and leverage).

2 ever 5 years, max, shop around . . . if you are happy with the performance of your existing carrier, give em a chance to match the best price you can get.

These have served me in well.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I would never insure a dual sport for anything except minimum liability and maybe theft.
Why? Going from liability to full coverage plus towing and labor added about $15 per year on my xrr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #27
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,286
I have theft on my MXC through Progressive because it was free. But SF wants to ding me for $200 more per year for adding theft to my 640 because I have to get full comp/collision when liability only was $75. So I will see what Flo says about liability only with theft like my MXC has.

But my point was that I will never have a dual sport towed and I will never make a comp/collision claim. I simply cannot imagine any scenario for making a comp or collision claim. Theft is the only coverage I am interested in. Therefore to me it isn't worth paying even $1 more for full coverage.

Every time I have wadded a bike I repaired it myself. I can't imagine calling my SF agent and saying I endo'ed a jump or hit a tree and need an adjuster. For one thing his office woman rides and would laugh at me.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #28
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
But my point was that I will never have a dual sport towed and I will never make a comp/collision claim. I simply cannot imagine any scenario for making a comp or collision claim. Theft is the only coverage I am interested in. Therefore to me it isn't worth paying even $1 more for full coverage.

Every time I have wadded a bike I repaired it myself. I can't imagine calling my SF agent and saying I endo'ed a jump or hit a tree and need an adjuster. For one thing his office woman rides and would laugh at me.
So if you hit a deer and went sliding down the road at 65+mph, totaling the bike in the process, you wouldn't make an insurance claim?

I'm not calling insurance for stuff like bent handlebars and scratches. But if manage to total the bike I'll call them for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
New agent, I insured an XR650R w/ SF and since it wasn't in the list I asked her to list it as a 650L, it went thru no prob, yours should be able to insure a 650L as a 650L
My Allstate agent insured my plated XR650R, full coverage for $110 a year. The statement actually lists "XR650R the vin and plate number".

edit.. if I hit a deer (again) i will darn sure file a claim. That's why I insure it.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #30
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletracker77 View Post
So can I pass your agent's contact info to my agent? Can you PM me?
Sorry forgot about this thread. PM sent.