alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Decision time for 19/17 wheels for my 990R - Woodys or Alpina

As per the title, I have pondering which approach is best for me for my 990R:
1- Woodys 19/17 setup using Excel wheels, RAD hubs, Superlaced and sealed or
2- Alpina 19/17 setup using KTM hubs

Woodys:
Excel wheels in 19 x 2.5 up front with either 4.25" or 5" rear - not sure which would be best for me - clearly the bigger wheel allows use of a 170/180 tire but do I need it and what advantage would be realized from the bigger wheel / tire out back? Experienced people please advise...
- The Woodys wheels use their proprietary sealing method for both front and back. They guarantee it for a year and unless someone states otherwise, I tend to believe that I should have no sealing problems beyond the initial year. Woodys also use stainless steel spokes and nipples
- Woodys wheels use the RAD hubs and come complete with bearings, ready for my cush drive, rotors and sprocket - I've heard some noise about RAD hubs causing problems on one of the UK KTM boards - I don't know if this is real or isolated incidents - again, experienced folks please advise...
- Woodys wheels are super laced, crossing three times - this is a good thing, this much I know... :)

Alpina:
Guaranteed for the same one year period though are now OEM for Moto Guzzi Stelvios so how bad could that be? I don't know much about the quality of the actual rims but they are fixed in size: 19x2.5 and 17x4.25 (no 5" rear option available). The spokes are NOT stainless steel but can be had in black or other colours...They use KTM hubs (new and complete with bearings, etc.)

Woodys - 3-4 weeks lead time
Alpina - 4 weeks (who really knows?)

Price? within 15% - 17% - Woodys setup is the more expensive setup unless they offer advrider.com discounts that I'm not aware of...

I like that Woodys Wheels are a really known entity here, they are in the US so no nonsense sending anything back to Italy for repair, etc. I like the idea of the stainless steel spokes and nipples and to be honest, I'm not entirely sure abut the longevity of the Alpina based rubber o-ring nipple based sealing approach - then again, I'm not too sure about the Woodys magic goop for sealer either.

In the end, I want a canyon carving / touring 19/17 setup that is tubeless and can allow me to run many tire choices. I will have my 21/18 setup for proper off-road riding and don't mind swapping back and forth as necessary.

I know there's a Woodys Wheels section in the vendor pages but I was hoping to hear from real live experienced riders here in Orange Crush - I want to decide within the next two days and place my order...

Thanks in advance everyone

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
I'm trying to make a similar decision.

My money is almost definitely going to woody's. I've read much better things about them, they seem like a much more accessible company, and I like buying American.

It seems to me you're focused on new hubs/rims. Most of my uncertainty is coming from deciding whether it's best to pay up for new hubs (Rad or KTM), or find some smashed up wheels to cut the hubs out of to try to save some $. To be totally honest though, after all the shipping is said and done, it's probably best to just pay up for new metal with zero miles.

Now I just need to go find a few thousand dollars...
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

One of the things that originally attracted me to the alpina wheels was the option of buying a kit from them that includes wheels, spokes and nipples and allowed me to reuse my hubs but after co side ration, I decided that I wasn't prepared to take apart my perfectly good and new wheels for the hubs - plus the actual cost of lacing the Alpina wheels to my hubs.

I have a few concerns - not sure if they are true issues or "Internet hype and fear" like the reputation of the RAD hubs used by Woody - that said, I understand d why they use these hubs rather than using KTM hubs; it allows them to superlace the wheels in such a way that the KTM hubs don't allow. I have a ton of confidence in the Excel wheels, not so sure about the quality or durability of the Alpina rims versus the Woody excels. The stainless steel spokes are a no-brainier to me, I just don't understand why that wouldn't be the default choice for Alpina...perhaps they have their reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
I'm trying to make a similar decision.

My money is almost definitely going to woody's. I've read much better things about them, they seem like a much more accessible company, and I like buying American.

It seems to me you're focused on new hubs/rims. Most of my uncertainty is coming from deciding whether it's best to pay up for new hubs (Rad or KTM), or find some smashed up wheels to cut the hubs out of to try to save some $. To be totally honest though, after all the shipping is said and done, it's probably best to just pay up for new metal with zero miles.

Now I just need to go find a few thousand dollars...

Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

I think I just remembered that it was the Talon hubs that I've read people remarking as being unreliable, not the RAD - sorry for any confusion I've created...

Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,755
I've got the 19/17 Woody's with the caponard rims and RAD hubs and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. Excellent, excellent job and they work fantastic. I have about 4,000 miles on them now too, both on and off road.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Part of the issue is that in speaking with Woodys today, they told me that the Caponord front wheels are not available wirth no sign of anymore anytime soon so that is not an option at this time - I've scoured evil-bay for some but with no luck and I don't want used ones either. If I'm spending this much on a set of wheels, I want them new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
I've got the 19/17 Woody's with the caponard rims and RAD hubs and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. Excellent, excellent job and they work fantastic. I have about 4,000 miles on them now too, both on and off road.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,062
Wood will build you a stronger better wheel, no question. But do you need that for "canyon carving"? Alpina has more experience in tubeless, woodies tubeless option is questionable long term IMO.
If you do go woodies, you don't need x3 lacing or oversized spokes for a road wheel, save the money.

Have you thought about SD wheels? Or is 17/17 out of the question.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger View Post

It's funny to me but the SM/SD wheels seem to have become the cheap alternative. I built my current set for about $600 by buying the rear on Craigslist in perfect condition (with rotor and sprocket/carrier) and buying the front rim new from Munn racing with a discount. Oh yeah, and they're awesome!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

17/17 is not really an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger View Post
Wood will build you a stronger better wheel, no question. But do you need that for "canyon carving"? Alpina has more experience in tubeless, woodies tubeless option is questionable long term IMO.
If you do go woodies, you don't need x3 lacing or oversized spokes for a road wheel, save the money.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
I would choose neither of the two options. I would buy instead a set of excel rims and a pair of stock KTM hubs, lace them at a wheel builder and use the silicone+duct tape sealing method.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,574
I was just pricing out a new second wheel set for my 990, my gosh I think I will just spoon on different rubber the night before I need to make a change (road or trails) by the time it's all said and done it comes to almost $1,000 per wheel? unless I did something wrong, and that was on the cheap side.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Woody's wheels

I have a 19/17 set of Woody's on my 950 that I ordered with the Woody's tubeless system. It worked for a while then started leaking. I love Woody's service and the quality work that they do but I would not waste the money on or trust the silicone treatment to make the Excel wheels tubeless based on my experience. If you want tubeless go Alpina..If you want quality rugged wheels go Woody's and just pack tire irons and a tube patch kit..

kingrj
kingrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #13
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 733
not sure I can add too much useful information to the thread but in general, Alpina has been around in the supermoto racing scene for quite a while (factory apilia and KTM I think have always run their wheels). Mainly because they were very light weight and tubeless. RAD is a bit younger company but they do have a good reputation.

as for one or the other, no dog in that fight. I like the looks of the alpina wheels, but I would be going with 17/17 (hopefully in the near future). :)
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 439
I've got a set of 17/19 Capo wheels with Road Attack tires from Woody's that I use for asphalt. I love 'em.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Alas, this is my problem; there are no Caponord rims to be had at this time and the rear (or was it the front) is on perpetual backorder from Italy...

I agree with some of the comments on this thread; specifically about Woody making very strong wheels but I don't need incredibly strong wheels for pavement (I will bet the Alpinas are plenty strong for tarmac riding) - also, there seems to be an equal amount of people who have had some sort of issue with "sealed" wheels versus those who have not so that sounds like a bit of a crap-shoot to me (again, I get why Woody seals them this way but everyone there also openly admits that the Caponord - aka: guaranteed approach to sealing is superior to the Woody self-sealing Excel wheels). Lastly, there is a substantial cost difference between the Woody Wheels and the Alpinas (literally $350 per set - no trivial amount). I think I'm going with Alpinas despite the 4-8 weeks lead time (ugh!).

Thanks everyone for your input - unless someone has a set of Caponord based wheels for sale, I am contacting Alpina to place an order in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzyCat View Post
I've got a set of 17/19 Capo wheels with Road Attack tires from Woody's that I use for asphalt. I love 'em.