Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #16
NKL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I've just put a pair of Alpina 19/17 wheels on my Adventure, you wont be disappointed.
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Did you end up going with the silver or colored spokes? My understanding is that the spokes are not stainless steel but rather hardened steel with zinc / nickel coating that is supposed to be even more resistant than most stainless steel spokes. Is the lead time rely 4 - 8 weeks? I'm so damn inpatient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKL View Post
I've just put a pair of Alpina 19/17 wheels on my Adventure, you wont be disappointed.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #18
Eataz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKL View Post
Gief pic!
Eataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #19
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Waiting for my Alpinas to arrive,,,,
Have plenty of these for my SM racing and so far so good, however the SM bike is 2x lighter than 990
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Alpinas coming - can't wait :)

Now, which tires? I've heard that the Conti Trails are not that great on the KTM with the 19/17 setup. What about Anakee 3s? Anything else I should consider - looking for mostly paved riding with occasional gravel. Need good rain performance as well - I am a terrible rider lacking all tangible talent.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
Zombie025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eataz View Post
Gief pic!

21/18 from Alpina, delivered in 3 weeks, the look is satisfying
Zombie025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
It's funny to me but the SM/SD wheels seem to have become the cheap alternative. I built my current set for about $600 by buying the rear on Craigslist in perfect condition (with rotor and sprocket/carrier) and buying the front rim new from Munn racing with a discount. Oh yeah, and they're awesome!

what did you do about the front rotor? did you use the cj mounting bracket?

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. REDBEARD View Post
what did you do about the front rotor? did you use the cj mounting bracket?
No, I didn't use Cj's bracket. That is one good, bolt-on alternative, but I modify the wheel for a straight SM rotor bolt-on.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,069
Forget that, wrong thread.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #25
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,760
Don't like the 17/17 option, tires too wide, handles weird on street, sucks on dirt, make it steer too quick, only weak street tires available.

19x2.50, 17x4.25 rear Excel's are great. Lots of tire options from TKC knobbies to full street. 110x19 and 150x17 is perfect. Handles great on pavement. Quicken's up steering only a little. Not bad on dirt. Lowers the bike about 3/4 in.

Tube/Tubeless. Tubeless is great, but only if it's a real tube less rim with the safety bead, which the Excel's doin't have. Only if it has a positive seal, which some silicon goo doesn't. A good tube is a better option.

I'd buy clear coated Excel's, Buchannan stanless spokes and use the stock hubs. Then save my money for disk brakes.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #26
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

I've gone with the 19x2.5 and 17x4.25 Alpina tubeless and keeping my stock wheels for off road riding - going to get 110 / 150 tires - no need for anything wider, just need to choose which tires; Anakee 2 or 3, Conti Trail Attack, etc...need a standard 990 kickstand now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Don't like the 17/17 option, tires too wide, handles weird on street, sucks on dirt, make it steer too quick, only weak street tires available.

19x2.50, 17x4.25 rear Excel's are great. Lots of tire options from TKC knobbies to full street. 110x19 and 150x17 is perfect. Handles great on pavement. Quicken's up steering only a little. Not bad on dirt. Lowers the bike about 3/4 in.

Tube/Tubeless. Tubeless is great, but only if it's a real tube less rim with the safety bead, which the Excel's doin't have. Only if it has a positive seal, which some silicon goo doesn't. A good tube is a better option.

I'd buy clear coated Excel's, Buchannan stanless spokes and use the stock hubs. Then save my money for disk brakes.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #27
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
I've gone with the 19x2.5 and 17x4.25 Alpina tubeless and keeping my stock wheels for off road riding - going to get 110 / 150 tires - no need for anything wider, just need to choose which tires; Anakee 2 or 3, Conti Trail Attack, etc...need a standard 990 kickstand now.
Why DS tires on a road wheel setup? I know decent road rubber choice is limited with 17/19 over 17/18 or 17/17. But sure you could get something 10x better than DS tires since your keeping offroad wheels for intended purpose.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

The DS tires I mentioned (for example) are very road biased (> 90% road bias) so am I really compromising much for such a road biased tire? Also, while I anticipate most of my riding to be on pavement (with the exception of times where I will use my 21/18 wheels with off-road biased rubber), there will be plenty of times when pavement ends and turns into gravel, hard-packed dirt, etc and I don't want to turn away - at least with the tires I mentioned, I can traverse those surfaces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger View Post
Why DS tires on a road wheel setup? I know decent road rubber choice is limited with 17/19 over 17/18 or 17/17. But sure you could get something 10x better than DS tires since your keeping offroad wheels for intended purpose.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #29
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
CJ has an adjustable stand

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...-modification/

or you can make your own if you're into welding, better than having to change stands with every wheel change
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #30
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

I've been considering a fe different approach options with respect to the kickstand:
1- just stick to the one on my bike and see how precarious it stands (not first choice since I am confident it will be too vertical, especially once loaded with some gear, etc.)
2- get an adjustable kickstand (like from CJ in your link) but at $110 plus large foot and shipping, customs duties, etc it ends up being very expensive
3- get a CJ kickstand relocation kit (smart thing to do no matter what I suppose though I never had one on my last 950ADV and never had a problem...) and what I've seen people do is add washers/shims between the bottom bolts of the relocator and the frame to modify the kickstand angle thus shortening the effective length - I like that idea but only if I go with a kickstand relocator...
4- buy a 990 standard (non-R) kickstand from www.partspitstop.com for $58 and either swap it when I do use my 21/18 setup (if I actually have to because for all I know, the standard length kickstand may not be too bad on my R with the 21/18 wheels - so what? It will lean over a bit more than intended; how bad is that, right?) or simply use the centre stand when I run my off-road wheels and never change the kickstand once I install the short one
5- modifying mine for adjustability (opted out of this - too busy nowadays, I'd rather be riding instead of cutting and welding, etc.)

I am swaying heavily toward option 4 at this time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
CJ has an adjustable stand

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...-modification/

or you can make your own if you're into welding, better than having to change stands with every wheel change