Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
The DS tires I mentioned (for example) are very road biased (> 90% road bias) so am I really compromising much for such a road biased tire?
Obviously it depends on you riding, but originally you mentioned "canyon carving", so personally, I'd say yes you are giving up a lot.
IMO, many road oriented DS tires are for looks only. As an example, Conti trail attack vs road attack, I've had both on my motard, and onroad there is a big difference, off-road not much at all. (they are both crap compared to knobbies ).

Quote:
Also, while I anticipate most of my riding to be on pavement (with the exception of times where I will use my 21/18 wheels with off-road biased rubber), there will be plenty of times when pavement ends and turns into gravel, hard-packed dirt, etc and I don't want to turn away - at least with the tires I mentioned, I can traverse those surfaces...
Running down a gravel road / hard pack dirt you probably won't see / feel much (if any) difference on a pure road vs road bias DS tire.
IMO in perfect road conditions many tires (even many knobies) will out-perform a normal riders abilities, but it's when the conditions are not so perfect (like water/oil/dirt/sand on the road, extreme heat/cold or whiskey throttle) that street tires come into their own.

Maybe not the best example, but watch a super moto race, look at the tires used and surfaces they are on.

Tires are like oil, you'll get a thousand and one opinions, take them all with a grain of salt, including mine.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #32
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
So if I forego the idea of a D/S tire that can accomplish this (proper traction on gravel, etc) and look for a road tire, what do you suggest that would be available in the 19/17 wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger View Post
Obviously it depends on you riding, but originally you mentioned "canyon carving", so personally, I'd say yes you are giving up a lot.
IMO, many road oriented DS tires are for looks only. As an example, Conti trail attack vs road attack, I've had both on my motard, and onroad there is a big difference, off-road not much at all. (they are both crap compared to knobbies ).

Running down a gravel road / hard pack dirt you probably won't see / feel much (if any) difference on a pure road vs road bias DS tire.
IMO in perfect road conditions many tires (even many knobies) will out-perform a normal riders abilities, but it's when the conditions are not so perfect (like water/oil/dirt/sand on the road, extreme heat/cold or whiskey throttle) that street tires come into their own.

Maybe not the best example, but watch a super moto race, look at the tires used and surfaces they are on.

Tires are like oil, you'll get a thousand and one opinions, take them all with a grain of salt, including mine.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #33
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
The Pirelli Scorpion Trail is a 95% road and 5% offroad tire that's available in 19/17 sizes.

Rear: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Front: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx
Old 06-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #34
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
Quote:
So if I forego the idea of a D/S tire that can accomplish this (proper traction on gravel, etc) and look for a road tire, what do you suggest that would be available in the 19/17 wheels?
19" DS knobby tyres are a lot better on-road than their 21" siblings. Having said that, I find the Anakee2 excellent on the road (both the 19 and 21), but haven't checked out many different brands.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #35
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
Has anyone ordered from the below website?

http://alpinawheelsusa.com/about-us/

Alpina Wheels USA The official Alpina distributor for North America.

All North American Alpina customers are encourage to deal directly with Alpina Wheels USA and not deal with other sources indicating they are authorized distributors or dealers for North America. Official Alpina distributors are authorized by the manufacturer, Alpina Raggi S.p.A. in Italy.

Alpina Wheels USA cannot and will not support Alpina wheels that are purchased via unauthorized channels. Some of these unauthorized channels may have agreements with Alpina Raggi S.p.A. to sell Alpina products in their regions but they are NOT authorized to sell in North America.

Alpina Wheels USA will stand behind all sales through their company for all of North America.

If Alpina Wheels USA receives a sales request outside their North American region they will direct the prospective Alpina customer to their regional distributor or dealer. In the event there is no regional distributor or dealer for a specific prospective Alpina customer, Alpina Wheels USA will work directly with that customer to fulfill their request.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #36
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

JC from Alpina USA is a really good guy - has been distributing Alpina for almost fifteen years, long before they made KTM wheels. He's also got a kick-ass Ducati cafe bike collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
http://alpinawheelsusa.com/about-us/

Alpina Wheels USA The official Alpina distributor for North America.

All North American Alpina customers are encourage to deal directly with Alpina Wheels USA and not deal with other sources indicating they are authorized distributors or dealers for North America. Official Alpina distributors are authorized by the manufacturer, Alpina Raggi S.p.A. in Italy.

Alpina Wheels USA cannot and will not support Alpina wheels that are purchased via unauthorized channels. Some of these unauthorized channels may have agreements with Alpina Raggi S.p.A. to sell Alpina products in their regions but they are NOT authorized to sell in North America.

Alpina Wheels USA will stand behind all sales through their company for all of North America.

If Alpina Wheels USA receives a sales request outside their North American region they will direct the prospective Alpina customer to their regional distributor or dealer. In the event there is no regional distributor or dealer for a specific prospective Alpina customer, Alpina Wheels USA will work directly with that customer to fulfill their request.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #37
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
I don't have 19/17 setup, so I have never tried these particular tires, but after a quick search I'd be looking at something like the below
Conti Race Attack
Kenda K676
Pirelli Sport Demon
Bridgestone Battlax BT023
Michelin Commander
Michelin Pilot Road 3 TRAIL (might be exactly what your after)
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #38
Eataz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Anyone got the 19/17 rims on their bike yet? Would be awesome with some pictures!
Eataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #39
alpina-uk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Heres some feedback so far...

More info here http://alpina-uk.com/index.php?route...tegory&path=71

Heres what a few folk that have bought them said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKL View Post
Went out on mine bank holiday monday, but because I hadn't been on the bike for quite a while I wasn't sure how it felt, I thought it was good but not sure how it compared. On the way back I swapped bikes with my mate (990 Adv std wheels, Scorpion tyres) and then realised how good the 19/17 combo is. When we stopped to refuel, I thinks is words were fucking hell how good is that, it's like riding a sports bike, I can't believe a pair of wheels can make that much difference, I want some.
On his standard wheels I couldn't believe how light and vague the front end felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gland View Post
done a few hundred miles on my all black sexy wheels. handles like a dream much more responsive holds line turn in quicker no more vibration through pegs and feel very smooth all round. Very Very happy indeed. the trail attack 2 seem pretty good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyboy View Post
Well finally got my shiny new wheels and pilot sport 3 trails on the addy and went for a bimble to scrub em in- well it started as a bimble...... Holy sh@t she handles ! All of my riding experience is offroad (apart from an rd 125 when oi were a young 'un) and to me when i first rode the addy on the black stuff (with t k c s on)it was a bit of a revelation - easy to ride and lots of grunt and fun!
Now with the 19/17 combo it carves the bends and gives so much confidence its very easy to get carried away !! Now she needs very little input to tip in and is super stable at speed - really really happy with the change to the bike...
So gonna do the Cadwell Crashfest with some roadbike buddies( ktm of course) so will see what she can really do when used in anger - and a hangover!
Thanks KK for a great deal on the wheels !!

[IMG]http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/NKLTiger/RIMG0002_zps58a0839e.jpg

alpina-uk screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 03:37 AM
alpina-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #40
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Update since last posting:
Wheels are mounted. I got Continental Trail Attack IIs and all I can say is OH MY GOD ! ! !

The bike has completely transformed - I can't even describe the difference on pavement, it's literally night and day. So... In the meantime, I have not yet calibrated my speedo (was too excited riding instead of coming home right away) so I will sort that out over the weekend but I did install the standard 990 side stand (Ktm calls it the 302mm length side stand) and it works perfectly on my 2012 990 R with these 19/17s. Perfect lean angle (slightly more angle than before with the 333mm R stand and the stock 21/18 wheels) and best of all, it's good and cheap to buy from your local KTM dealer.

Wow - anyone on the fence about the 19/17 conversion should not hesitate another second. This upgrade is worth it's weight in gold.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #41
alpina-uk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Would be nice to see some pictures on the bike
alpina-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #42
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Soon Poppa - got to wash her up later today and then I will snap some pictures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina-uk View Post
Would be nice to see some pictures on the bike

Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #43
thanassis
990R

Oddometer: 21
How about the suspension travel? Your R is with the 265mm or the 245mm travel? Have you change it also?

Thanks
thanassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #44
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

No change to the suspension - I like the extra travel - that's why I got the R in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanassis View Post
How about the suspension travel? Your R is with the 265mm or the 245mm travel? Have you change it also?

Thanks