Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #31
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmontanero View Post
Oh... already on that page, Marshall's is the best. Actually stumped them when I went for the 10mm Triple square. Half tempted to take the one I have there - they probably have it but didn't know.
Try asking for an XZN socket. That seems to be a more common name for them. NAPA usually has them. They're commonly used on Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, and VWs.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #32
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Try asking for an XZN socket. That seems to be a more common name for them. NAPA usually has them. They're commonly used on Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, and VWs.
Yeah... got one from NAPA..7 bucks in a socket form. Fortunately it worked, unfortunately KD is no longer making their tools.

Got the 13/32 bit from Marshalls... that's a great place to get nearly anything, but they know they can charge you for it... when's the next time I'll ever use a 13/32 bit? Thinking about returning it with the kit to pay it forward to the next rider.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #33
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

More confusion: went to check Cycle Works page on what comes in the kit:
Includes four "alignment" drill jig bushings, one 1" long drill jig bushing for the drill bit, one 1" long drill jig bushing for the helicoil tap, helicoil installation tool, helicoil tap, drill bit and one helicoil.

No Drill Bit arrived, helicoil installation tool seems to be different than one's I've seen. Left a phone message. More waiting ....
Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #34
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Drilled out the Hole today after the bit arrived yesterday, Threaded the tap, cleaned the hole 3.2 million times, used the kickstarter to pump oil up the galleys, cleaned that out too 3.2 million more times. Finally happy with no flakes after repeated checks.

Now onto the helicoil. Got the BMW piece, and the Permacoil insert piece with the kit. Won't tread... no matter what I do it just bounces off the surface of the block... Anyone?

pic of kit tools

Watched the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bIm2xaLuc
but no love... ARRRGH! I've seen other tools that had a slot in the inside that guided the insert in, but that's not what I have in the kit from cycleworks...
Old 07-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #35
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,803
Hmmmm......won't thread because the insert seems too large, hole too small, or wrong insert? Thread pattern. Does the insert thread on to the head stud.......I put a nut on the stud, then the washer then threaded the insert on the stud, then tightened the nut up.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #36
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

It's all lined up correctly: drill matched the tap, tap is supposed to match the coil... that's what's running my brain. The tool seems to push out the treads some, but is supposed to wind in the coil. I'm going to try to make a tool to put it in differently. Damn.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #37
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,803
Quote:
It's all lined up correctly: drill matched the tap, tap is supposed to match the coil... that's what's running my brain. The tool seems to push out the treads some, but is supposed to wind in the coil. I'm going to try to make a tool to put it in differently. Damn.
The tool IS the head stud. Look here. Also, you have to check the oil feed again after you drill out the insert if doing the top stud. You have 2 inserts, right? Is one solid? Pics of the inserts

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 03:28 PM
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #38
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Went with the BMW coil as no-one would rent the HPD jig... Can't afford 500 bucks for a one repair. 35 for renting the helicoil jig was a better (so I thought option)

So I'm down one BMW long helicoil as that first one had the tang split away as I tried again. I'm going to run the tap along the threads again to see if there's something I missed or can sort.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #39
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Went with the BMW coil as no-one would rent the HPD jig... Can't afford 500 bucks for a one repair. 35 for renting the helicoil jig was a better (so I thought option)

So I'm down one BMW long helicoil as that first one had the tang split away as I tried again. I'm going to run the tap along the threads again to see if there's something I missed or can sort.
Maybe double check the markings on the tap to make sure you are in fact cutting the right threads.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

as pictured above, Tap reads: 10mm X1.5 sti... Anybody have a different spec than that? (I'm trusting that the tap is right via Cycleworks)
I've got a email into Cycleworks.. Holiday and all.. I'm not too hopeful.

elmontanero screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 04:18 PM
elmontanero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #41
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,912
In the relaxed state the heli-coil is larger in diameter than the major diameter of the threaded hole.
When you insert the heli-coil in that threaded guide, it wedges the h-c down to a tighter diameter.

Turn the h-c through the guide till about 1/2 thread protrudes, then take all to the case and engage that 1/2 thread with the leading thread in the case.
Once you find where the thread starts, and have turned the guide slightly till it's firmly flat against the case's cylinder pad, then screw the drive to install the insert.

That is... if I understand your set-up and the issue.

call if you like.

-Scott
Old 07-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #42
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

RENNER RULES! RENNER TO THE RESCUE!

How do you title a post about someone who you've only met once before who after hearing you moan about your mechanical ineptitude comes up to help? That's right... made an appearance in the flesh, understood that it was a bit wonky, then with the magic touch makes the thing work after you've been unable to for hours.
Thanks again!
(Next person will tell me I owe him a tasty beverage, He's got a bottle of Belgian gratitude)

As a side note.. We broke the tang off with hemastats from the fishing gear and pulled it back out. (Renner being the professional reminded me that I could have used a magnet. Uh yeah.. that too) Thanks again!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,912
Thanks man, you made the trip well-worthwhile.

Good talking with you. We need to ride when things have cooled-off a bit.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #44
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
Thanks man, you made the trip well-worthwhile.

Good talking with you. We need to ride when things have cooled-off a bit.
Scott, didn't realize you had an '02 project in the garage. Finish that thing up!
Ben Carufel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #45
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

From happy to wrist wringing ... S@#$!
So gave it a break last night and decided to celebrate the Fourth happy to have the stud back in place.
This morning I get up and go down to "Hardwarrgirl test" test that I've got oil running down that stud now... I don't.
Pumped the kickstarter and had oil coming out every orifice on the bike, save the one I worked on. The main holes and both top cylinder studs on the opposite side, and on the rear stud on the side I've repaired... But nothing out the one that's just been "fixed?"
I'd take a picture but it looks like just what I've described.

More furious pumping... more oil everywhere... except that darn stud. Half a quart of oil running on my floor, none of it from the top left - left side.

Anyone want a g/s?

elmontanero screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 11:11 AM
elmontanero is online now   Reply With Quote