Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #46
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,283
Give us a closeup photo of the insert if you can. The oil comes out right at the front of the hole on the top (seen below). If you need to cut off the first thread from the insert to open it up then notch it as deeply as you can with a dremel and try to crack it off.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #47
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,599
Thinking aloud...

because men don't really have thoughts that aren't typed or spoken

Oil Path and wtf? When I did the drilling and tapping I saw the advised galley at the end of the stud hole, mentioned here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745116
And pictured here by that poster:

Extrapolating that out and ASSUMING(yeah, I know) that this is the correct oil path or like it:

If the area I've colored green is the normal path and that is the galley shown in the back of the cylinder stud hole, it should supply oil to the horizontal path I've marked yellow (assumption).
Known: oil is coming out the right side of the cylinder studs (yellow path), not coming out the left though.
Conclusion the green path is not blocked in some manner by the drilling/tapping evidenced by the flow on the right.... but still no flow out the left (marked in red)...
Where can this be blocked then? I understand engines and have done rebuilds before, but I'd rather be thought a complete novice than have something obvious not be pointed out.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #48
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Give us a closeup photo of the insert if you can. The oil comes out right at the front of the hole on the top (seen below). If you need to cut off the first thread from the insert to open it up then notch it as deeply as you can with a dremel and try to crack it off.

Myself and RENNER were very careful to thread the Helicoil past the oil galley to make sure it was open... didn't take a pic (should have).

I can try removing the cylinder stud from the helicoil threads, but it's not my first preference to do so...
Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #49
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmontanero View Post
Myself and RENNER were very careful to thread the Helicoil past the oil galley to make sure it was open... didn't take a pic (should have).

I can try removing the cylinder stud from the helicoil threads, but it's not my first preference to do so...
Oh OK, nevermind with the photo then.

As for your diagram, the passage you have marked green by design was not intended to supply oil directly to the stud as it has the stud plugging it. It's not supposed to be open at the base of the hole, but some got drilled deeper than others. It doesn't really matter. It supplies oil to the passage that bridges between the two studs, with the two diagonal passages dropping down. I'm not sure why it would supply one without supplying the other, but I'd certainly want to find out before trying to run it. Maybe pull the stud out and try injecting some oil up the passage with a syringe or something and see if it's blocked somehow. Weird stuff.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #50
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Pulled the stud out, nearly out of frustration, but more out of "what the hell else am I gonna do, this has to be sorted."

the coils are clear of the diagonal galley that should supply oil to the stud... the bottom of the stud hole was full of oil but I'm assuming that was from the back of the hole with the galley there rather than flowing down from above.

Each time I have a problem, I get to do three flights of stairs to the bottom of the condo, then another flight to the underground parking... then back up all that for checking something or getting a tool I leave upstairs, or camera or... you get the idea... ( I envy you folks with garages or workshops )
Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #51
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
The insert is not obstructing the oil port positioned at 12 o'clock... this is a poser.

I'll add that the prep-work for the insert extrodinarily clean all the way to the bottom of the threaded bore.

During my visit, we didn't run a wire up through the oil supply port.

Compressed air up the other port to check or blow-out the one in question?

Renner screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 03:49 PM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #52
Renner
combustophile

any chance that the port is packed full of grease beyond what's visible, and not clearing under the low, kickstart oil pressure?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #53
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Nope there's no grease up that port... Will try again in the morning.

I gave it a rest today to think on it and help someone out with an Aprilia.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #54
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
I nearly did not purchase my bike due to the oil light staying on. Told the seller I needed a couple days before I committed. He indicated that the oil light had been on since he purchased it back in the early 90's. Still, was not comfortable buying it with that especially important light on. Found the problem in no time once home. Was simply the oil pressure wire pinched between the jug bars and the frame. Maybe 10 minutes of troubleshooting if that. Was flattened in that pinch, but it's been fine without having to solder in a splice. Guess I've probably ridden at least 4K on this R80/7. 2 separate ODO repairs resetting back "0" each time with the last repair holding so far. ODO was completely scrambled and racked up mile's by the thousands on each ride. Oil light goes out while cranking before it even starts. And this bike fires up quickly even cold starts.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #55
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

This isn't a pinched wire repair... this is a physical check of the galley feed with my eyes looking for oil to be travelling though, to feed oil to the exhaust side Rocker arm and valve train. Did I miss something relevant that you were pointing out? (I'm a bit focused on the situation, it's very possible I missed what you are trying to say concerning this. My apologies if so.)
Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #56
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Here's a possibly dumb idea you could try:

try threading the stud back into your repair to block off the oil galley at the back and remove the stud from the right side. If you have a rubber tipped air gun push it onto the right side hole and try blasting some compressed air up there to clear whatever's blocking the left side passage. Normally I wouldn't recommend blasting back into the engine with compressed air, but it sounds like you were extra careful to remove all chips and kept everything extra clean, the only passage that's blocked would exit rather than going deeper into the engine in this case, so I'd say you're probably safe. Maybe someone with more experience will tell me I'm crazy for saying so though, so maybe better wait and see.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #57
Renner
combustophile

I'm with AW here, Elmonte.

IIRC you don't have a compressor near the bike.
Even air-in-a-can blown into the aft oil port would perhaps dislodge any obstructing debris, and/or air exiting at the repair-side port could be felt.

I can't see that doing any harm, but then I can't imagine why you don't have flow there at this time.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #58
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Started playing with it this morning again.

Simple is the red line above clear?
Ran a thin allen key up the galley... no blockage. Good up, but not far.
Ran a thin Zip/cable tie up the galley to a depth of 3 inches... not wanting to push it past that... no blockage felt

Annoyed, grabbed a can of WD40 and jammed the straw against the left orifice = WD fluid coming out the right side... so there is some passage between them. So I try putting the stud back, pump away at the starter while creating a micro exxon valdez diorama on the garage floor... some oil flow on right and left ... I'm learning to temper my enthusiasm. Wait a minute then try the kick starter again. No flow to the troubled side.

Pull the right (good) side stud out ... spray goes the other direction. Pull left side out and spray back and forth between the two...WD fluid coming out each way. Put back in the LEFT (troubled) side stud.

Again pumping away at the kickstart... flows great on good side... low flow on bad side...
I look at the top hole with the headlamp.. not seeing it come out of it but is coming out the stud hole weakly. Could be coming from the back of the stud hole?

Taking a rest and contemplating a new attack... (yeah I know: WD40? Like I said I was annoyed and angry.. I can drain all fluids before trying to move forward. )
Old 07-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #59
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
Is this all with the kickstarter? If so, just use the button. I'd never waste my time with the kicker.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #60
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
Is this all with the kickstarter? If so, just use the button. I'd never waste my time with the kicker.
Two hands... yeah.. ground the plug wires and should do that. With the kickstarter there - just went after it.