ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Seat upholstery studs...?

Hey guys,

Busy covering my seat...for those who have done this before, what are these metal studs around the seat material? I want some for mine but have no idea what I'm looking for.

My seats made of fibre glass so no staple guns for me :(

For reference



Thanks!!

Once I get this done I can update my build thread with the seat!! ;)
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Kanticoy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL
Oddometer: 254
Thumb

They are upholstery snaps with a screw base. You can find them a lot of different places. I know craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby carry them. You can get them in stainless too.




http://www.ebay.com/itm/30pc-Screw-I...-/190797797685

Kanticoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer
 
DaveBall's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 1,155
You can also get them at any shop that specializes in convertible tops as well as boat upholstery. I have used the stainless ones from a boat shop. The last time I was there, they even had ones that you could cover with the same material as what you are attaching to, which helps to hide them, if that is what you are looking for.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
Hey guys,

Busy covering my seat...for those who have done this before, what are these metal studs around the seat material? I want some for mine but have no idea what I'm looking for.

My seats made of fibre glass so no staple guns for me :(

For reference



Thanks!!

Once I get this done I can update my build thread with the seat!! ;)
I'm doing the same thing but I want leather. I'll have a pro sew the cover and glue it in place, then I'll finish it with copper rivits and burs (the big ones). Looks like a Brooks bicycle seat. You can use many kinds of rivets, check out belting rivets at the craft or leather place (check Tandy online), or suitcase rivets.

Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
thanks heaps guys!

I am just trying to locate some of them before the weekend. We have a few boat stores and leather places...try hit them up

I need the ones where the one end can be terminated in to fibreglass....screw in type or even bolt?!

I have a lot of googling to do :(
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
thanks heaps guys!

I am just trying to locate some of them before the weekend. We have a few boat stores and leather places...try hit them up

I need the ones where the one end can be terminated in to fibreglass....screw in type or even bolt?!

I have a lot of googling to do :(
Rivets go all the way through. Rivets and burs hafe a taper on the end of the rivet chank. The bur is just a copper washer. it goes over the rivet shank taper and then you peen the rivet. Other rivets can also be used with washers on the inside. You can hammer them pretty flat inside if you need clearance. Be sure you have a real smooth anvil on the outside to preserve the finish.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Rivets go all the way through. Rivets and burs hafe a taper on the end of the rivet chank. The bur is just a copper washer. it goes over the rivet shank taper and then you peen the rivet. Other rivets can also be used with washers on the inside. You can hammer them pretty flat inside if you need clearance. Be sure you have a real smooth anvil on the outside to preserve the finish.
Thanks Plaka,

So the above ebay link is the correct item I am looking for?

Screw the base in to the fibreglass and then cap through the leather?
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
Thanks Plaka,

So the above ebay link is the correct item I am looking for?

Screw the base in to the fibreglass and then cap through the leather?
What link?

BTW, what do you want the thing to do? Hold on the seat cover or just look like it does?
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
What link?

BTW, what do you want the thing to do? Hold on the seat cover or just look like it does?
My original issue is that I have a ledge around the bottom of my seat that i need the material to wrap around...other than the snap on's or contact glue - i am not sure how i am going to secure my vinyl to the underside of my fibreglass?

does that make sense?

ill try get a picture to explain further?

picture - you can see around the edge, i want the material to wrap around that and terminate under the seat....any thoughts how to do it that will LAST? :)

__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
My original issue is that I have a ledge around the bottom of my seat that i need the material to wrap around...other than the snap on's or contact glue - i am not sure how i am going to secure my vinyl to the underside of my fibreglass?

does that make sense?

ill try get a picture to explain further?
You're supposed to have a rim. it's a pan facing down.

You use contact cement to hold the material while you rivet from the outside. First through the outer cover, then through the 'glass, then through the edge of material that has been wrapped over the rim.

Stretch your cover on, warm if it's vinyl and press it onto the contact cement and wrap the rim.. Add some clamps as you go (mongo spring clamps or small C-clamps) to hold it while the CC grabs. With it in place and lying down nice lay out for your rivets and drill, putting a rivet in each hole as you go but only set them lightly. Then start setting the rivets for real and pulling the clamps.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
You're supposed to have a rim. it's a pan facing down.

You use contact cement to hold the material while you rivet from the outside. First through the outer cover, then through the 'glass, then through the edge of material that has been wrapped over the rim.
Cheers Plaka,

So ...

from the "under side" of the seat (as viewed in the picture) I cut a hole in the material, drill a hole in the fibre glass and the rivet through them all?

ah man im making myself confused, sorry eh - dont mean to be a pain in the ass...i appreciate your help Plaka...legend
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
Cheers Plaka,

So ...

from the "under side" of the seat (as viewed in the picture) I cut a hole in the material, drill a hole in the fibre glass and the rivet through them all?

ah man im making myself confused, sorry eh - dont mean to be a pain in the ass...i appreciate your help Plaka...legend
What picture?

Always lay out your holes and drill from the outside. I use fancy layout tools but a ruler with marks on both ends works fine. One mark spaces the hole in from the edge, The other mark is the distance between rivets.

Drill all the way through, rivet goes all the way through, Head on the outside, washer on the inside. 'Glass sandwiched between the folded over cover.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #13
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
What picture?

Always lay out your holes and drill from the outside. I use fancy layout tools but a ruler with marks on both ends works fine. One mark spaces the hole in from the edge, The other mark is the distance between rivets.

Drill all the way through, rivet goes all the way through, Head on the outside, washer on the inside. 'Glass sandwiched between the folded over cover.
ah just my picture above mate,

that ^^ what you just wrote makes perfect sense.

You good sir are a legend.

Thanks heaps mate. Really appreciate it eh
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
ah just my picture above mate,

that ^^ what you just wrote makes perfect sense.

You good sir are a legend.

Thanks heaps mate. Really appreciate it eh
Oh, that picture. Didn't give yourself a lot of edge. You can fold over extra, plenty of contact cement (lightly sand the 'glass first if you used polyester to get the wax off!) and then add some blind rivets (pop rivets) upwards past the curve of the rim. Use a large diameter and use a plastic drill bit to get a super clean hole. pop rivits in 'glass are iffy unless you can get to the other side to peen them over a washer. But it's something. Depend on your rim rivets for most of the strength. I'd go smaller and use more of them.

I went with more than a 5/8" rim to give myself plenty to wrap over and to keep my rivet holes away from the edge.

Note, when you recover it, and you will eventually, you grind the rivets on the inside to remove them (an advantage of copper). Then when you wrap your new cover, you probe for the existing holes in the 'glass with a pin and re-use them.

The stock BMW seat used tiny t-bolts. These engaged a piece of trim on the outside (aluminum on the early models, I still have some) and had a nut on the inside. Rusted like crazy.

Using stainless button head cap screws is an option. Would look trick. About 4 to 5mm. nut + washer on the inside. I have them going in around my windshield.

Legend in my own mind? Definitely.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #15
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi
 
Hearse's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 146
hahah dude - you have helped me get some mean idea's for this - to me you are a legend.

yea that sounds sick, i am just worried about rubbing on the bolt head.

I will head to the hardware store, see what i can find in terms of fasteners and hit up some ideas.

I have a 3mm aluminium seat pan under the seat now, so i could even run the material around the ledge, and have a strip of metal that will sandwich the material between the strip of metal and the seat pan, pop rivet and done....

ideas are over flowing, where as before there was none!

mate ill call back in to this thread after the weekend with what i put together...lookout!
__________________
Project n'gagi begins 07-11-2012 -- Get involved!!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014