Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
hahah dude - you have helped me get some mean idea's for this - to me you are a legend.

yea that sounds sick, i am just worried about rubbing on the bolt head.

I will head to the hardware store, see what i can find in terms of fasteners and hit up some ideas.

I have a 3mm aluminium seat pan under the seat now, so i could even run the material around the ledge, and have a strip of metal that will sandwich the material between the strip of metal and the seat pan, pop rivet and done....

ideas are over flowing, where as before there was none!

mate ill call back in to this thread after the weekend with what i put together...lookout!
As my creativity mentor taught me, the best way to have good ideas is to have a lot of ideas. (and the guy is a truly legendary type, A Bill Katavalos associate with a number of patents). I've got an Industrial Design degree and specialize in raw creativity.

Anyway the bolt heads won't rub on your pants. imagine your knees up at the tank...you don't grip the seat. maybe at stoplights standing over it...but button heads are low profile. it's the wrap over the edge that does the real work. Trick is to keep it that way. Usually the flap on the inside comes up as the glue dries out.

The best way to get through the vinyl on the outside is a belting punch. one of these:

You squeeze and rotate gently to just get through the outer vinyl. Then drill the glass and on through the inner vinyl. Don't run the punch hard into the glass. Dulls it. neat holes last longer. Doesn't give the vinyl a place to start tearing.

Do your maiden voyage with the seat nice and warm. Use a hair dryer if you gotta. You want it to stretch into final form without stressing the joinery.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #17
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Oddometer: 146
Its done - I had a crack. I personally am stoked....another part of the bike i did myself. I have it mounted solidly etc...so its almost done.

Thanks to all the feedback on the process boys - hopefully this thread will be helpful for others in their googling future

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote